Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Summer of 84
  • frenchie
    Free Member

What were you doing when Frankie suggested we 'Relax'

IanMunro
    Free Member

Finishing o-levels I think.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was at school. I thought the song was garbage.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Relaxing 8)

meehaja
    Free Member

I was 2, so i was probably soiling myself.

tyger
    Free Member

Getting married 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

I was wondering why it was banned, as a rather naive 12 yr old 😳

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Simon Bates objected to one word IIRC

geetee1972
    Free Member

Rode my first 10 mile time trial in 1984. I was 11 at the time and managed 30 minutes 29 seconds.

toys19
    Free Member

Great track, 'Welcome to the Pleasuredome' is a Great album.

Mark O'Toole of the band about where he grew up: "If you slash 250 people you get a silver Stanley knife. We can be suave if we want to ya know."

In 84 I was busy trying to leave childhood behind and wasting some of the best years of my life smoking fags in bush shelters and doing unspeakable things with village sluts.

grim168
    Free Member

Starting my apprenticeship in machining and still bloody at it 26 years later.

brooess
    Free Member

Didn't really understand quite what all the fuss was about. I was 11 at the time.
    But listening to it on the vinyl copy of Now That's What I Call Music II I did get an inkling that 'when you want to suck to it' meant something I wasn't old enough to understand 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

I was on the dole in Bristol, spending a lot of time skateboarding, going to many awesome gigs (at the Trinity, the Granary, Bierkeller and Colston Hall) and producing underground magazines.

I thought Relax was shite then and I still do.

Nick

I was too cool to be doing anything

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Listening to the Smiths and discovering girls and snakebite. 8)

saleem
    Free Member

This has got to me as I can't remember what I was doing when I was 10

Tracey

Sweet 16, just finished exams and spent most of the summer windsurfing

Tracey

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mike Read wasn't it?

I remember seeing them on The Tube some time before it went stellar with the original video (it was probably the year before). I did think WTF at the time.

SST
    Free Member

Saw AC/DC at Castle Donnington – 17th August 1984

lovewookie

I was wondering what all the fuss was about whilst knowing exactly what all the fuss was about, at 10 years old.

serves me right for hanging about with older boys. I think by that time I'd already seem most of one of my mates dad's copies of deep throat.

an interesting childhood…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

9 years old – trying to BMX, well into karate, starting a vague interest in girls, starting to get in trouble.

MrOvershoot

SST – Member

Me too, it was also the first time I drove a car I owned on the motorway.

Previous to that I shared a car with my mum

snowslave

I was on a kibbutz, throwing oranges at students who'd travelled a long way to find themselves. Maaan

SST
    Free Member

SST – Member

Me too, it was also the first time I drove a car I owned on the motorway.

Previous to that I shared a car with my mum

AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Gary Moore………. What a day!!

lowey

Still in school, but enjoying the heatwave. Thats the year Mardale was uncovered by a receding Haweswater.

nickc

16; trying to impress Belinda Brabham with my dingy handling skills. As a Smiths fan, Frankie was beneath contempt…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Wheelies on my raleigh Budgie, lego.

In them days TOTP was a famileeee occasion with Dad and everything. I don't remember Relax (did he ever get on the telly with it?) but I remember my dad being very unimpressed with Morrisey and the Gladioli.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If your christian you'd be a bit puzzled by what I was upto

Being atheist I like to think a little part of me was hanging arround in the reactor of a hithertoo unremarkable nuclear powerplant located in the southern USSR near a small town called Chernoble 🙂

Thisisnotaspoon: upsidedown, overweight and late since 1986 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

I was 13, so i was probably nosing with interest in the Kays catalogue womens underwear section when my parents were out

IdleJon

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Mike Read wasn't it?

Yeah, MIke Read.

SST – Member

That weekend I was camping with a some friends in Pembrey Country Park. Lovely weather, good friends, some under age drinking and wandering around the woods in the dark pretending not to be scared. Iirc there was some 'controversial' programme on the BBC about a teenage girl finding her sexuality – they probably showed her buttock or something daring like that. We watched that in somebody's caravan.

I would be 16 the following week (I had the new Ultravox, Big Country, and U2 albums I think, but I may be wrong), and we'd pick up our O level results that week as well. We could give up school if we wanted – for a few weeks we were somewhere between being childen and adults.

One of the few specific times that I remember all that time ago..

jd-boy
    Free Member

I was 19 and in my second year as an exchange student with Ohio State Univerisity ag intern, working the harvest from Texas to Montana, 2 of the best years of my life.

grahamh
    Free Member

A whole 2 weeks in the Lake District and it just drizzled for
    half an hour. 😯 The rest of the time it was hot and sunny.
    What a ace trip that was.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was at Art College in Edinburgh. A couple of years later I painted this for Holly Johnson

damitamit
    Free Member

Being born…

Edric64
    Free Member

I started Montain biking in 1984 the hills were peaceful and the trails empty. How I wish it were the same now as then when only a few people had even heard of mountain biking

scruzer
    Free Member

Getting all rebellious and worked up, signing on,listening to music, seeing bands and festivals (Glastonbury, York)generally having a great time….

john_drummer
    Free Member

at 19 I was at uni, meeting lots of girls & watching lots of bands – and being in one too. The bands took over & I lost interest in the degree course.

leftyboy
    Free Member

1984 I was crashing bikes…

… oh that applies to any year after 1980! 😆

sturmey
    Free Member

13 at the time and pulling rad tricks on my BMX 😆 Music didn't really interest me and still doesn't to an extent.

Potdog
    Free Member

Passing my driving test 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Summer of 84’ is closed to new replies.