• This topic has 34 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Summer 2003?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Who can remember what it was like?
    I wasn’t in the country but I believe it was something special.
    Hot? How hot?
    Sunny? How sunny?
    EDIT: For riding…………… And possibly other things cos I haven’t posted in the wrong forum, have I?

Cheers.

Militant_biker

I recall it was a super sunny, super hot, amazingly beautiful summer. One of the best summers weatherwise ever.

Why do I remember this? Because I was working full time in a kitchen and watching it through a tiny window. On my days off I was stuck mapping trees in a deep woodland for a uni project 😥

I did ride SITS in 2003, and it was hot. Drank so much SIS Go to try and stay hydrated that my stomach turned.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It was very special.

For one, it was the year I (re)discovered mountain biking when I was invited to join a biking weekend in the Peaks. Despite the fact that I was riding a Saracen Havoc, I loved single every minute of it.

It was also the hottest summer on record so far and was also the year in which I found my feet again after finishing a particularly unpleasant relationship. There was a LOT of lady action that summer… *sighs*

hora
    Free Member

It was a long long hot summer, beautiful well into Oct that year.

This was me in the first week of Sept03.

The next weekend I snapped my upper arm clean through, shoulder and knocked myself silly. The muscle on my left shoulder is still partly atrophied.

Houns

Best year/Summer of my life

*sigh*

SaxonRider

It was stupid hot. That was the summer I moved to the UK.

IIRC, parts of Italy were on fire, and I am surprised that we didn’t have grass fires on the moors in Yorkshire.

spacemonkey

Fooking hot.

Split with the missus and had 3-4 months back at my place.

Did a wicked 5-6 day MTB tour of Cornwall in scorchio conditions. Got heat-stroke/dehydrated on day 3 or 4 and felt proper grim.

Did loads of other riding including Scotchland.

Got back with the missus.

Meanwhile in other news, lots of people sadly died due to heat-related issues.

spacemonkey

The next weekend I snapped my upper arm clean through, shoulder and knocked myself silly. The muscle on my left shoulder is still partly atrophied.

Was that not on the infamous roll-in just off Park Life? Subsequently named Hora’s Elbow by various locals.

seosamh77
    Free Member

summer 2003, week in malaga/seville, 45+ degrees, magic! shame about the result! probably pissing down in scotland!

hora
    Free Member

Was that not on the infamous roll-in just off Park Life? Subsequently named Hora’s Elbow by various locals.

😆 no it was Blind Terror I think?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Hora – you rode Blind Terror – you sure!

hora
    Free Member

Hora – you rode Blind Terror – you sure!

http://www.diaryofamountainbiker.co.uk/2003_september.php

Hora currently rides an Ellsworth Id. We finally get photographic evidence of him on Blind Terror

freeridenick
    Free Member

sooty and jim – what ever happened to him.

cheers_drive

It was an amzing summer, I had just moved to Bristol and thought all the summers were going to be like that. How wrong was I 😥
    The best thing about it though was it was the year I got into mountain biking.

spacemonkey

no it was Blind Terror I think?

Nice. That’s where I did my ribs (2004 I think).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, I remember cycling up to High Beech on the hottest day ever recorded in the UK, in 100ºF+ temperatures, and finding dozens of young Essex lads drinking pints and pints of lager. I’m sure some ended up hospitalised after.

Drunk 8 litres of fluid on that ride. Only had about two wees. 😯

sooty and jim – what ever happened to him.

He made the mistake of doubting me (and pretending he knew stuff about stuff what he din’t), and was suitably pwned. That was in 2006 though. And he was Victaulic then.

jhw
    Free Member

One of the best summers of my life, 2 weeks riding DH in Les Arcs and then 4 weeks travelling around Europe with gf at the time, before uni…

freeridenick
    Free Member

I remember my car thermometer hitting 36 one day!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I commuted to work by bike every day for the summer I think, was super fit by the end of it! Seem to remember doing a 25 mile loop on a standard (cheep, so 36 spoke wheels!) road bike, with baggy shorts in under an hour and could do the 15 mile commute in just over half an hour!

lunge

Ahh yes, a great summer. I met my girl friend in the spring and we had a great summer together, lots of bikes, lots of walks, just generally being outside. I seem to remember drinking a lot of cider that summer as it was the last year where all of my friends were local, after that they slowly disappeared to various parts of the country.

I then got to October, packed my bags and buggered off round the world for a year again without said friends or girl friend. Thankfully she waited around for me.

Happy days!

alfabus
    Free Member

I spent that summer restoring a VW bay window van… most of the time I was welding or angle grinding.

on some of the hottest days I resorted to welding in a mask, gloves, shorts and flipflops – not the best PPE 🙂

Dave

hora
    Free Member

I miss the Surrey Hills

freeridenick
    Free Member

its even better now – lots of new trails… 😛

hora
    Free Member

Git. You do realise I’ll have to come down now 8)

metalheart
    Free Member

Yes 2003 was a good summer for weather.

Started lead climbing in March out every weekend just about until I(badly) broke my arm down the climbing wall in July. I recall it was pretty fabulous weather wise as I couldn’t do chuff all. Folks were climbing into November.

Can we have another summer like that one please. Pretty please?

donsimon
    Free Member

Can we have another summer like that one please. Pretty please?

I remember the 45ºC thing in Sevilla and 40ºC+ temps in Madrid. Projections are for more of the same in the future (maybe yes, maybe no) and as we’ve seen good for some but not so good for the elderly.
    For me, bring it on, I love it.

jedi

it was the year everything changed for me. no more racing and started building herts shore 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I can’t really remember much of 2003 at all. 2005 was a hot one too wasn’t it?

hora
    Free Member

Jedi BT?

jedi

no, just in my riding life. i went to gt and rode the ewok village and the competitive spiirt left me and all i could think of was the buzz of riding tech

hora
    Free Member

Jedi you …wandered through a Scottish field of ….dreams 😆 8)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Summer 95 was a top one for me

Scorchio!

haggis1978

cant remember it, i was too wasted 😀 😈 😈 😀 pretty sure i enjoyed myself though

Harry_the_Spider

Mayhem was a dustbowl.

jhw
    Free Member

How funny that everyone has good memories of this time!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Summer 2003?’ is closed to new replies.