Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Suits on the high street
  • miketually
    Free Member

Is the answer “Marks & Spencer”?

This one’s merino. Any good?

ojom
    Free Member

get down the charity shop.

igm

Slater’s Menswear – either Leeds or Newcastle for you if I recall your location correctly.

Cheaper, better and they do the alterations.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Harry_the_Spider

I read that as “sluts on the high street”.

I have no interest in suits. Enjoy the rest of the thread.

allthepies
    Free Member

M&S for sure!

Stuey01
    Free Member

TM Lewin suits are decent and good value.

mrmo
    Free Member

if you have a discount place might be worth trying, got a decent M&S suit at Cheshire Oaks for a fair bit less than the high street price.

donsimon
    Free Member

How much are you looking at spending? What’s it for? Are you going to wear it everyday? While driving i.e. rep? Just for a few interviews???

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve had suits from most of the high street retailers, the best and most hard wearing have come from Austin Reed and at the moment they are doing buy one get one half price, which will give you two good quality suits for about £450 – £500.

lunge

It’s all about fit if buying off the peg, Debenhams, Next and M&S all offer decent suits at not too much money but the fits are all slightly different.

I prefer Debenhams as the Karl Jackson and Jeff Banks suits fit be best, you may fit M&S better.

miketually
    Free Member

At the moment, I can wear what I like for work but I’m looking elsewhere so a suit may be needed for work and for interviews.

My sister’s getting married later this year. I was looking at hiring a kilt and stuff (the wedding’s in Scotland and we’re of Scottish stock) but, given the possible interviews and stuff, I think buying a suit makes more sense.

If all goes to plan, I’ll still be riding to work, so was looking initially at the M&S machine washable stuff, which is where I saw the merino suit.

Funds are tight, so looking to spend as little as possible. Slaters might be a good idea, as I’m a gangly cyclist with cyclists’ thighs.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re riding to work in a suit, I’d say M&S as they, or at least they used to, sell trousers and jacket separate and as you’re going to wear out the tousers with regularity you could buy 2-3 pairs of trousers per jacket. Just a thought?

Torminalis
    Free Member

TK Maxx FTW!

I managed to get a very nice Boateng suit for < £150.

donsimon
    Free Member

Or if funds are really tight a disposable suit from Zara?

alantromboner-spam
    Free Member

You’ll wreck a suit cycling in it I think.

I’ve had suits from Next, Zara and M&S – all were fine, my “best” suit is a Jaeger and is a lot nicer – mostly in the tailoring, but even on sale at 33% off it was 2-4 times what the others cost.

If you keep an eye out on the sales you can pick something half decent up for £100.

miketually
    Free Member

You’ll wreck a suit cycling in it I think.

My current work trousers survive okay. It’s 2.5 miles each way on cycle paths at a leisurely pace on a sit-up-and-beg bike.

If you’re riding to work in a suit, I’d say M&S as they, or at least they used to, sell trousers and jacket separate and as you’re going to wear out the tousers with regularity you could buy 2-3 pairs of trousers per jacket. Just a thought?

Being able to buy a couple of pairs of trousers was something else that swung me to M&S.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Suits on the high street’ is closed to new replies.