Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • suggest me a bike please
  • msjhes2
    Free Member

Looking for a new bike and going round in circles, yes I know I need to test ride them but any advice of what is good etc. would be useful.

Some background – I am 37 and work in IT (seriously), on the plus side I live in the Peak and 95% of all rides start and finish in Hope. My idea of riding is to attempt to cycle up everything (so no 1*9) and then nail it as fast I can down the other side and then repeat it all again on the next hill. I don’t like stopping so a dropper post is essential.

I am currently riding around on an old Yeti as-r xc full sus race bike that I picked up cheap early last year when I some cracked a Yeti 575 (not quite sure how this happened as it is the only bike component I have ever broken in 20+ years and I have weight weenie heritage).

So I am currently thinking something more ‘trail’ or ‘AM’ or whatever the current on trend name is – around 140 / 150 mm travel. I am looking to spend £2500-3000 and was initially looking at things like the Canyon Nerve AM or the Norco Sight 2. Then I noticed how cheap components are getting from European bike shops with the recent Euro moves so started toying with getting something like a titus el guapo, as I can probably build one up with BOS Devilles, reverb, full XT etc for sub £3000.

And today I have been trying to work out if I can make any of my current components last a bit longer and maybe get a frame like the Cotic Rocket or Meta AM.

Crikey I have written a lot, so hit me with your ideas please. What would you buy?

Cheers

Mark

P.s I already have a hardtail and I’m 5,11 / 75kg

jim76
    Free Member

Take a look at the Devinci Dexter or Dixon – excellent bikes and lifetime warranty on the frame included, plus a little different to the norm.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I do exactly the same as you riding wise as i live 15 mins from hope, my bike of choice is a Nomad. If i were to buy new it would be this:
    http://yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=210

TimCotic
    Free Member

Hope – Peaks – big budget? Lucky B’stard LOL! Turner 5-spot SC Blur LT? If you fancy 29er – Salsa Spearfish or Horsethief maybe? What do they say in 18-Bikes? Of course you could just blow the lot in The Woodbine Cafe.

isitaboutabicycle
    Free Member

I’ll be the first to say it then… Orange Five! If it’s too expensive new then look out for a used one. There are loads here and on Pinkbike.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how tall are you

justatheory
    Free Member

If the Euro keeps getting weaker the Canyon will be even better value.

If not that how about another Yeti? SB-66 perhaps?

msjhes2
    Free Member

about 5’11”

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bugger – a mate is selling a small carbon nomad with bos forks etc

msjhes2
    Free Member

I was looking at the YT, although I was looking at the LTD version. The only thing putting me of is the fork and not being able to test.

justatheory
    Free Member

That YT is a bargain at just over £1500

msjhes2
    Free Member

I do like Yeti’s but the weight of the alu SB66 puts me off and the carbon is too much. I know it shouldn’t…

Am I allowed an Orange 5 – I don’t have an Audi? 😀

mintimperial

I’ve got a Canyon Nerve AM and ride in the Peak a lot. It’s flipping ace for that sort of thing, silly fun indeed on the downs, and climbs really well too. I can clean some technical climbs on that bike that I can’t get up on my hardtail.

When I bought it I figured that even if I didn’t get on with it the spec on Canyons is sufficiently good for the money that I could swap the frame and forks out and still be riding a bargain. I’m very happy with the frame as it is though, it’s excellent for Dark Peak terrain.

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve wondered about using the likes of a YT or Canyon as a donor bike…. maybe for a Nicolai or an SC butcher or something like that. But reports are that the frames are very good anyway, so seems a bit pointless

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You can’t live in the peaks near Hope and not have an Orange 5.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes you can

santacruzkit
    Free Member

cruz could you give me some details or a contact number for your mate,whos selling the nomad,might be just what im looking for price dependant,cheers,sorry to the op for hijacking mind 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

You work in IT …so it’s got to be Orange 5

zerocool

I never understood this hatred for Orange bikes.
    I don’t live up North, am not middle aged, don’t earn loads of money doing a desk job somewhere and drive a crappy old car that probably cost less than my 5:10s and I’m perfectly happy with my Alpine. It’s reliable, light(ish)and you can get them in mental colours.

I say try the Five as they’re great little bikes. Also consider the YT Industries Wicked 150, I rode one in France last year and thought they were a great bike, handled a day of XC it was great fun on the downhill sections (the best bit) and even I managed to ride it up a few mountains.

StuE
    Free Member
    msjhes2
    Free Member

thanks, that has given me some things to think about

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘suggest me a bike please’ is closed to new replies.