Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • subatomic particles exceed lightspeed.
  • racefaceec90

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484 (i blatently ripped both title and link from an oblivion forum thread 😳 i have also heard a theory about faster than light (something to do with,when light gets sucked into a black hole/i think it was by stephen hawkings?what are your views on the findings (and could any physicists please try and answer in simple terms for a numpty like myself 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can never really be sure about hawking’s pronouncement. It was found recently thatbhalf his communications were in fact interference picked up from radio cabs.

mrmo
    Free Member

i do wonder how you can measure the speed of such particles, you are entering the realm of quantum physics and to be fair things get a bit odd. i.e. location isn’t definite and things become probabilities rather than definites.

darrell
    Free Member

The obvious reason is it ain’t correct. Something wrong with the measurements. But I hope it’s true cause it makes the universe a bit weirder.

CountZero

i do wonder how you can measure the speed of such particles, you are entering the realm of quantum physics and to be fair things get a bit odd. i.e. location isn’t definite and things become probabilities rather than definites.

Mr Schrödinger, the RSPCA want a word about your cat…

Junkyard
    Free Member

lets hope chaos theory intervenes and you get Heisenberg when you ring.

glenh
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure the distance between Cern and Gran Sasso isn’t what would usually be considered on the quantum scale 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oi-physicists

The obvious reason is it ain’t correct. Something wrong with the measurements. But I hope it’s true cause it makes the universe a bit weirder.

Wouldn’t feel that way if you were a physics student.

tazzymtb

@charliemungus …..nice, lets abuse someone with a disability shall we 🙄

wors

does this mean the delorean isn’t dead?

CountZero

I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere about the report being created in Quark Xpress…
    …maybe not then.

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Strictly speaking, it’s the speed of light in a vacuum that is the absolute; the speed of light decreases in anything other than a vacuum (the origin of diffraction effects at air/water interface) and in fact Cerenkov radiation (the blue glow (NOT green!) arising from used nuclear fuel stored under water) arises from high energy beta-particles (electrons) exceeding the local speed of light (ie. in water not vacuum).

It is likely that there is a systematic basis for the apparent observed neutrino behaviour in this case; if Einstein’s General Relativity is proven not to apply in this instance it will be a significant revelation. Having said that, there is a long running breakdown between general relativity and quantum mechanics which has yet to be explained (string/membrane theory attempts, but is very hard to substantiate in any meaningful sense) and the greatest strength of the scientific method is that any theory can be proved incorrect…

racefaceec90

CountZero 😀 😯 ❓

Pook

all just theory innit.

god moves in mysterious ways. very quickly.

;o)

wwaswas

god moves in mysterious ways. very quickly.

I wonder if he moves at all or whether he just reimagines the universe so that it’s in a different place relative to him?

Cougar

There’s a nice analysis of the findings here.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

So, am I going to be able to make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs or not ❓

Cougar

Given that a parsec is a measure of distance and not time, I think we can safely conclude that, er, Han Solo was full of shit.

mikey74
    Free Member

But surely a Parsec is a measure of distance, not time? 😉

Edit: Damn you Cougar

doh
    Free Member

as far as i know they are saying within the loop it appears it went +speed of light but as they are scientists they are saying just that.”appears”
    until someone atually replicates the same thing with diff equipment it is an anomaly(sp) and they are happy with that

much the same as they found that particles could transportate(sp)(like the fly) a few years ago.

doh
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Given that a parsec is a measure of distance and not time, I think we can safely conclude that, er, Han Solo was full of shit.

ah yes, you are truly wise in the ways of family guy.
    as anyone knows family guy quotes can usually end any argument.
    does that make me a double negative?

AdamW
    Free Member

I thought they were looking at neutrinos, which are effing hard to see in the first place. How did they know the neutrinos they set off at site A are the same ones they find at site B?

The sun is throwing gazillions of the things through us every second. It must be hard to do this kind of thing.

I’m going to lie down now. My head hurts.

Cougar

Edit: Damn you Cougar

Cougar

How did they know the neutrinos they set off at site A are the same ones they find at site B?

They fasten tiny little rings around their legs.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    all just theory innit

“Just”?

emsz
    Free Member

why should I care about this?

Is it more important than the fact that my hair is all over the place AGAIN! 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

@charliemungus
    …..nice, lets abuse someone with a disability shall we

POSTED 16 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You’re right, we should treat them differently if they are disabled.

BigJohn

I think that Italy and Switzerland are in different time zones and the scientists forgot to factor that in.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I do hope that Einstein and his theory turns out to be incorrect. There would be a certain beauty and symmetry in that for me.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere about the report being created in Quark Xpress…
    …maybe not then.

is it funny? relatively.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Pretty certain that I once read about a pair of particles. Might have been electrons that had interacted together and then went on their merry own ways.
    messing with one of them caused an instantaneous corresponding change to the other. implying faster than light something or other.

##The odds are I may have been chemically challenged at the time of reading. It was that time of life. This therefore , may be untrue, made up or a figment of my imagination##

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Aren’t Neutrinos like electrons i.e. of miniscule mass, but having no charge? Their position is somewhat nebulous at the best of times. How do you “fire” something that barely interacts with the rest of matter? Or detect it’s arrival somewhere?

thegreatape
    Free Member

The barman says “Sorry, we don’t serve sub-atomic particles here.”

A neutrino walks into a bar.

bigrich

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0106tjc/In_Our_Time_The_Neutrino/

in our time on the neutrino. programme like this are worth the license fee alone

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘subatomic particles exceed lightspeed.’ is closed to new replies.