Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • STW surfers – Xmas
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Conditions looking VERY good from Xmas day to the New Year. 😀

Fill yer (stinking wetsuit) boots – it’s gonna be crankin!!! :mrgreen: 😀

rhys
    Free Member

picking up my repaired 3/2 E bomb from Bodyline in Newquay tomorrow hopefully, I cant face paddling out in my Snugg winter custom!!!
    Shame I’ve not repaired the ding in my board

5lab

I’ll be in devon for xmas but with the gf in tow (and at my folk’s house) I don’t think I’ll be getting a session in.

Still, heading west on the 7th Jan, and just booked my flights for indo in April. Lush

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A 3/2 E Bomb will be fricking freezing! Water temp is 3 degrees below average for this time of year in the SW. It’s getting chilly.

5lab – lucky git! Baby due end of Jan so not warm water surfing for quite a while for me.

rhys
    Free Member

e bomb with neoprene shorts and vest underneath, as I said cant face the snugg

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What’s up with the Snugg?

My 5/4/3 Xcel Infiniti is fine. A bit bulky but fine.

Snuggs are usually well rated.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Be the first time in 7 years, except for the time when I was in egypt, that I have not gone surfing on xmas day.

This year, I’ll be flying down a ski run in the alps. It’s going to be a jolly good christmas.

sharki
    Free Member

Bloody tempted to come back down your way Mat.

Just had a second offer to stay down there.

A 19year old nurse or the 35 year old night club manageress.

The only wetsuit i’ll need is the birthday suit..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well if you have any spare time Sharki, then shout! Would be cool to hook up for a wave or two. polzeyboyAThotmailDOTcom

sharki
    Free Member

It’s more likely to be around the end of the winter though.
    During the revisit trip.

rhys
    Free Member

shoulders just not stretchy enough

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

rhys – get an Xcel if you can – amazing warmth and flexibility.

zomersetglider

B&B at the Thatch Croyde booked for the 23rd for some time now, however up til now was resigned to the fact that might not be able to make the journey from Bristol considering the weather conditions on the roads. But this post has inspired me to think twice!!

should i risk it?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I live two minutes from Saunton but will be travelling to South Cornwall to spend Xmas day with my parents. Bloody typical as it’s been flat here for ages. 🙄

Still, Boxing day ride with the Plymouth lot should make up for the missed surf, and I’ll be back home (and in the water) on Monday.

B&B at the Thatch Croyde booked for the 23rd for some time now, however up til now was resigned to the fact that might not be able to make the journey from Bristol considering the weather conditions on the roads. But this post has inspired me to think twice!!

should i risk it?

You should have no problem. All the main roads around here are totally clear.

zomersetglider

You should have no problem. All the main roads around here are totally clear

thanks….sold! 😀

5lab

Looking at the forcast a bit closer (I might have a pass for boxing day) – its looking a little windy! Might try Lynnmouth for a bit of shelter

2orangey4crows

Woohoo! Heading to Gwithian on the 28th, so looking forward to some nice chilled (literally) waves! Now, where did I put my neoprene hood and gloves…?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

5lab – find breaks with big cliffs – Porthtowan, Watergate, etc. You should be fine.

Lovely shape yesterday (ran from PT to Aggie and back via the cliffs) byt just a wee bit small.

brassneck

Slight hijack – Sponging-Machine – can you recommend a surf school off Saunton or Croyde? Sister in Law lives along Chivenor way, so we’re often in the area and the wifes expressed an interest in getting a few lessons.

Of course I told her to forget such unseemly ideas and return to her embroidery, but she seems set.. so I might just have to accompany her.. though more likely I’ll end up babysitting on a cold spring beach watching jealously 👿

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

There’s a lady who’s been doing lessons for years off Saunton: http://www.walkingonwaves.co.uk/

Not sure if she’s any good though, as I don’t know anyone who’s ever had a surfing lesson. She’s a much better surfer than me though.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Got in Last saturday in aberdeen, Was bloody freezing but glassy and head to chest. Moon rising in a clear sky and a mist about a foot off the water. Beautiful. 😀
    Thin merino socks under your booties are a big help walking through the snow to the beach. and help keep you warm in the water too.

2orangey4crows

Good shout on the merino socks singlespeeddan. Usually wear merino leggings and top under the wetsuit, so will add some socks to the mix too!

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

5lab –

harlyn might work. wrap-a-round swell + S wind.

Putts if you like small without the drive.

martinxyz
    Free Member

i know for a fact that yer a lot more supple thaqn me,mat.. and i envy you getting into that wetsuit. i take ages getting into the 6/5/4 infinity hooded but its worth it! its a bit snug but i can lay in the pentland firth for hours with it. i dont think i could handle heading north and getting snowed on whilst changing over the next few weeks though. nowhere near fit enough for that malarky right now.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘STW surfers – Xmas’ is closed to new replies.