Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)
  • STW Purbecks Ride 25th April
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, inspired by the Quantocks locals and their fabulous ride last weekend, I want to see who’d be interested in a ride around the Isle of Purbeck on Saturday May 2nd. I know (from google 30secs ago!) that this is a bank holiday weekend, but it’s the only date that all of my lot can do.

Our usual ride round there is about 30 miles with 800m of climbing, but we do that in a whole day so there is plenty of chilling. There is a pub halfway round which possesses the best of all things; views, cider and sausage pie :). I have spoken to the faster members of our group so there is an option for all the racing weasels to avoid the pub and get some more miles in.

For those who don’t live locally (which includes me, I’m in Salisbury…), the riding in the Purbecks is more scenic than technical when compared to say the Quantocks, but there is quality singletrack to be had.

Any locals who want to help out with guiding or ideas please email me on rjpenny1@yahoo.com. Anyone wanting to have a say on routes, distances etc. also feel free to email me.

Cheers,

Rich

aleigh
    Free Member

I would love to rich but I’m going to Lincoln for a long weekend. Maybe next time 🙂

Best of luck with it though, I’m sure it’ll be a great day.

rOcKeTdOg

i might be nearby, but not sure yet, add me to any email group for this please (in profile)

oldfart

Highly likely i will be working. :cry:See what i can find out.Sunday would be no problem .

Anna-B
    Free Member

Shame Aleigh!

Here are some pics of the Purbecks:

Corfe Castle

Fab views from Old Harry Rocks (good name for a band)

Old Harry Rocks

View from 9 Barrow Down

Me overcome with the excitement of it all

Anna-B
    Free Member

oh, shame old fart!

aleigh
    Free Member

It looks amazing anna!

Anna-B
    Free Member

It is Aleigh! And there’s a sea crossing.
    You know they call it, erm, Stinky Lincoln don’t you? It’s not even as good as Blackpool……

aleigh
    Free Member

hehe! I’m going to see a friend, haven’t seen her since Christmas and I need a break from here. One day of riding would be great but I’d be sat at home twiddling my thumbs and climbing the walls for the rest of the weekend!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Good work with the pics! Shame that 2/3 replies so far can’t make the date… I will ask again tomorrow to see if it can be either the weekend before (25/26th April) or another day in the bank holiday weekend. Was planning on using the prior weekend as a recon mission so will be there anyway!

aleigh
    Free Member

I think you can count me out until June at least!

DezB
    Free Member

I might just be able to make that +1 other.
    Haven’t been down that way for a good 10 years, so would love to.
    Does this ride go up to the open cliff edge? That was amazing.

dobo
    Free Member

I would be well up for this as the purbecks are fantastic but… The gorrick enduro is the next day so probably not the best preparation 😮

Strangelove
    Free Member

Gosh darn you! I have a wedding to go to that weekend 😥
    I was over the Purbecks on sunday (even though my legs were shot from the Q’s. Scenic rather than technical is definitely the best description for the riding and dont forget the cream teas in Corfe. If you go to the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers (which someone on the Q’s ride mentioned to me) they do an excellent Cornish pasty but dont use your phone. For some reason mine thinks I am in France when I’m there.
    I mentioned the possibility of an STW ride with the people i was with and there a few that would be happy to show people around.

forge197
    Free Member

I’d be up for a ride like this sounds great chilled out with pub lunch, but I think I may struggle like many others with the date 🙁

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes DezB, all of those pics are on the loop. The singletrack in the second pic is not normally ridden though!

Would the 25th or 26th of April be better for those interested? Bloody bank holidays! On reflection, it’s probably best to avoid it then as there will be a few walkers on the downhills. The ride down the ferry road is ace though when it’s busy; at least a mile of static traffic waiting for the ferry, while you pootle past whistling smugly 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

yea ferry-tastic

and Sandbanks beach is fun too

ride along the prom anyone?

Strangelove
    Free Member

The ride down the ferry road is ace though when it’s busy; at least a mile of static traffic waiting for the ferry, while you pootle past whistling smugly [:)]

That is exactly what it was like on Sunday. The May bank holiday would be very busy, it is traditionally considered the start of the tourist season and the traffic is bad enough as it is

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, how do I edit the thread title 😉 Sounds like the 25th/26th would be better.

Witness my remarkable organisational skills!

Step 1: Arrange date for ride.

Step 2:Rearrange date for ride because no-one can make it.

Step 3: Anybodys guess!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Whenever it is i’m probably in. Its only 5 mins drive to the ferry from here.

cinnamon_girl

Hey RichPenny – was good to meet you at the Quantocks! Would definitely be interested in a Purbecks ride but I have a little problem – the ferry. At the STW Southern Festival last year, I was forced onto a ferry with my bike. Felt really ill and queasy. Although it was reassuring to have Dr. P on board, I think he claimed he was off-duty!

Please keep us all posted!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Has anyone got a picture of that nasty grassy climb from the road up to the memorial just to the south of the castle?

Thats a doozy that one.

DrP

Elaine – the ferrt is a chain ferry, and lasts all of 3 minutes or thereabouts!
    It’ll be just as quick to swim across, if not colder..!

Once a date is sorted i’ll check my rota to see, but I’m deffo up for it!!

DrP

vd

I “died” on that climb on my second ever ride 5 years ago. I was on a solid ancient Raleigh with slicks, no water, a massive bike lock wrapped around the bike for which I’d lost the key….etc.

I’m better now and may be able to ride this one.

Someone on here gave me a great route about a year ago, with some excellent singletrack. Hopefully he’ll be along soon.

DezB
    Free Member

Has this moved back a week? 25th April?
    C’mon have to get the calendar sorted or I get in trouble!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Hi CG! As Dr P says. It’s not really a sea crossing, it’s just a very short and tame chain ferry ride across a mill pond like harbour. I was getting carried away with my descriptions. It’s a couple of quid with a bike, maybe not even that much. (Getting on the ferry does feel a bit like going on holiday though)
    A x

rOcKeTdOg

you can see how far it is from my pic above CG, takes seconds really

DezB
    Free Member

Crossing is only 4 ferry lengths C_G!

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, Date is now 25th April. Mods, is there any way you could change the thread title to reflect this?

Elaine, ferry is a chain ferry and you can barely feel it moving, It’ll be fine.

We probably won’t be doing that climb, as we don’t go as far as Corfe. The best singletrack I’ve found is nowhere near the ridge!

IHN

I might be up for it. Where’s the start likely to be?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Whenever it is i’m probably in. Its only 5 mins drive to the ferry from here.

rusty trowel do you live in Sandbanks? 😯
    Can we all visit your mansion for tea after the ride?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I love the purbecks and know a lot of the trails down there. Will do my best to come along with a suitable bike this time 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

IHN, start will be from the big car park at the end of Poole harbour, just before the Sandbanks Ferry.

Soma_rich and rusty trowel, I can email you a tracklogs file of the route I’m proposing. Or if thats no good, send you a jpeg. It would be good to get some differing views. Also, would either of you be interested in helping with the guiding?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Do i live in Sandbanks. Yeah right!! If i had that much money i wouldn’t be lurking about on here for company, i’d rent some in. Rusty trowels don’t earn you enough to buy much down here.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The amount of people riding regularly down here (groups of 20-50 some summers evenings), i can’t believe there aren’t more of them on here.

thomthumb
    Free Member

put me down as a possibility. i keep missing all the STW rides – must remember not to get a hangover this time!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I would be happy to guide if the route is one I know. Feel free to email. I will have a look when i get back home.

Cheers
    Rich

woodsman
    Free Member

Hi all, watching with interest, could possibly make the trip from western sussex for a day’s ridin!

Pete aka woodsman

cinnamon_girl

Excellent, I am looking forward to this already!

Thanks for reassurances re ferry crossing, sounds as though there’s plenty of folk to hold my hand but keep your distance mind in case I share my breakfast 😳

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m up for this provided the small op I’ve just had on my leg is fully healed and I’ve managed to spin the pedals a bit before hand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘STW Purbecks Ride 25th April’ is closed to new replies.