Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • STW Mendips ride ????
  • flatfish
    Free Member

I may as well ask for the gpx file to please buzz.

Thanks in advance.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Good effort Buzz!

I did email you, but obviously it didn’t get through.
    Route 2 looks the best to me.

Only thing I’d say is the route goes right past Rowberrow without touching and of the DH cheek! It’d be very easy to throw a small loop in and then pick up the existing route.

IMO the Sandford Batch cheek will need a bit of cutting back. Not been there since spring, but its always keen to grow over there.

aleigh
    Free Member

I won’t be able to make this one but there’ll be other times 🙂

Have a fantastic time!

hopster
    Free Member

Noooo! I will be at Castle Coombe Duathlon on the 16th. Never mind. Have fun.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Sounds good to me. Reckon i’m probably in if i don’t have another tubeless disaster like this week. Is this anywhere near where the cheddar bmx nationals are held?

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

count me in, if no-one minds!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

16th of August – I’m on for that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Flatfish: YGM

I’ve been reading and thinking – something based on route 2 then. Cut out Sandford Batch and spend more time in Rowberrow Wood e.g. Santa’s Grotto.

OF pointed out that the off-road climb from Bradley Cross is for the masochists. But an easy scenic alternative is to trundle up the gorge road under the beetling crags – the two options rejoin as the top so splitting into two groups and re-merging will be easy.

Nice to see people keen to come. I had an super Mendip XC ride today after yesterday’s rubbish attempt a freeride in the quarry. Smiling again 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The Bradley cross ascent is certainly large by Mendip standards, but its all doable. It’d be a shame to put in so much tarmac, but If people haven’t seen the gorge, then I guess its worth a tootle up the road.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Hello Mr OF, just to let you know cos you did ask several days ago… I have some commitments in August but at the mo I’m not sure when they’ll be happening. If there’s any way I can be at this ride I will, and thanks for asking 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It would be nice if you could make it Anna.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Aw, thanks Mr Lightyear! I really want to go – love these group rides and imagine I’ll be unfeasibly miserable if I can’t! Just may not be able to.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Argh! 16th is the Brechfa Enduro and I’ve just registered without checking this thread… oh well!

cheers_drive

Arse! It clashes with Brechfa!
    Doomed never to make a South West STW ride…

austen

I’m going to stick it in the diary and then see closer to the date, it’s a go-er for now. As I live very nearby it would be good to broaden my Mendip knowledge!

Excellent!

Gilles

Good, I will be there as well, lift available from Trowbridge to the start on that day. Can accomodate 2 riders and their bikes.
    cheers_drive: what about Pewsey Down on the 9th of August?

flatfish
    Free Member

cheers buzz

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I would be up for the 16th work depending.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

i’m up for it – Gilles, could travel together? Up for your Pewsey ride as well

Gilles

Sean, great! I’m just stuck in Norwich for the rest of the month, no ride in the Erlestoke wood before a while unfortunately!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

MuddyPuddle: these are social rides. We stick someone at the front, someone at the back and then everyone goes at their own speed and we regroup after each section. There’s absolutely no pressure to hurry because loads of gassing goes on 🙂

On the recent Exmoor ride, we managed a stunning average speed of 3.5 mph, although this included a 40 minutes stop for cream teas. The Mendips are a little less hilly so I’m predicting a whopping 5pmh average speed.

cinnamon_girl

Muddypuddle – they are lovely people 😀

buzz – does that mean I can give up hill-training and take up cream tea training instead?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

not out-gassing, at least not when someone is drafting you please

take up cream tea training

Aren’t they a joy after exercise – guilt-free troffing. I had some the other day at home and they just we’re not as nice without the fresh justification.

DezB
    Free Member

I seeked out the thread. I found it.
    I seeked the date. I found it.
    August 16th.
    Elvis's death anniversary.
    Madonna's birthday.

My wife's birthday.

Oh, bugger.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have been waiting for one of these to come along and would love to meet like minded people for a day of fun. Can I come please? 😀
    Tried to come to the westbury and new forrest ones but the dates weren't good for me.
    Live in Andover so I could offer a lift to someone should transport be an issue.

cinnamon_girl

Bad luck Dez 🙁

MM – I have been nagging oldfart to resurrect this, pleased that others are too!

knottie8
    Free Member

So is the route sorted now ? How far etc ? Oh and any pics ?

oldfart

OK boys and girls i've just e mailed Buzz Lightyear so we can get this sorted .I will keep you updated .

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I'm still up for this, not too far from me.

Mulletus, pretty sure i'll be up your way Saturday, so Swinley or somewhere could be good to break that new bike of yours in. I'll call you later.

Milkie
    Free Member

Mendips aren't too far away, and I've never ridden there! I can't make the 16th, due to stag weekend. Might be able to ride the Monday though. Could some mail me the GPX please?

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘STW Mendips ride ????’ is closed to new replies.