Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • STW – Masterchef – Flapjack content
  • jacko54321
    Free Member

Whos got the best recipe then?

please share

teagirl
    Free Member

Izakimack, posted it the other day. Yummie 😀

bigsi
    Free Member

I have but i refuse to share as it will affect sales of my forthcoming cookbook 🙄

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Izakimack – please post up in here!

Cougar

Flapjacks.

Ok, I think I've about got this down enough to share now.

Total cooking time, under an hour.

Ingredients

250g Porridge oats
    125g Salted butter
    75g Golden syrup
    75g Soft brown sugar

The oats need to be half 'premium' whole grain oats, and half 'crap' chopped / rolled oats. The bitty oats help the whole thing to bind together, the finished product tends to drop to bits otherwise. Rather than buying two separate sets of oats, I use Quaker Oats, then stick 125g in a ziploc bag and take a rolling pin to them until they're crushed but not quite flour. It's a bit more work but less boxes in the cupboard.

Method

Set the oven preheating at 170'C, and line a baking tin with greaseproof paper (I'm using a 6"x8" dish).

Melt the butter, syrup and sugar together over a medium heat until it's all liquid.

Remove from the heat, and tip in both sets of oats. Stir it all together well, until it's balling in the pan and there's no sign of dry oats.

Spoon the mix into the tin, and press it down with the back of a spoon. Whack it into the preheated oven for ~25 minutes, until it's starting to look toasted. Don't panic if it seems 'loose' at this point, it gains cohesion as it sets, and if you try to get it firm straight from the oven you'll end up with shortbread.

Cut it into flapjack-sized pieces. I get eight slices out of my batch. Take care when cutting, it's delicate at this point.

Leave it to cool overnight, take riding in the morning.

stooo
    Free Member

Dam you… now I want to go and make flapjack and it's far too late.

Things to consider as ingredients though…
    Peanut butter with raisons… bear with me, it's great – replace some of the butter with peanut butter.
    Cranberries and Ginger (little bit of grated ginger with dried cranberries).
    Sunflower seeds and dried fruit.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

brilliant. thanks cougar! will be trying this soon i think

Cougar

Awesome. Let me know how you get on, I've been refining it for a bit now.

Cougar

And, I'm loving the peanut butter idea.

wors

I put chopped nuts in mine too. Delish

Kuco

How much peanut butter would you use to replace the butter?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ooii! the peanut butter idea was mine! I gave it to Sma and Lyndsey at BV, then Rob went and shoved it in the Skiworld chalet cookbook and now everyone's using it!

Actually I just add 2 table spoons of peanut butter (as well as the normal butter/marg) and 125g of salted peanuts. Lyndsey's comment was the best, 'Snickers without the choclate!' 😀

Kuco

Thanks try them later 🙂

bloodynora
    Free Member

I always put in 3 tablespoons of honey as well. You know it makes sense

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I often add a sachet of coconut creme. Doesn't make it taste very coconutty, but does add a certain je ne sais quoi.

singletrackmind

Try either Ground Ginger or Cinnamon , or both. I use about 1 teaspoon , not tried it with Peanut butter . I think it wouldn't work as it offests the sweetness from the syrup.

Kuco

Just made mine with crushed peanuts and chucked in some raisins as well that I found in the cupboard. Let you know how it turns out later.

Kuco

BTW the Peanut butter and raisin flapjack went down well at me brothers bbq (imo need another dollop of peanut butter). Thanks for the main recipe Cougar 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Time to really twist it up.

I have in the past used dry chilli powder in there, just enough to give a a nip.

Cayenne is ok, or if you can get some dried habs then a touch of that in the melted butter to give it that little bit extra

Cougar

Excellent. Happy to help.

Cayenne… oooh…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks for the recipe. Worked a treat, and I am a total cooking numpty. Added some chopped nuts to mine, think I'll throw in some cinnamon next time, and use a square baking tray!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘STW – Masterchef – Flapjack content’ is closed to new replies.