• This topic has 61 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • STW 2011 calendar
  • james
    Free Member

“wrong with Knog page, is it because theyve got skinny tyres??”
    The knog month for 2010 wasn’t a problem, it was 2009

chipps

Our first couple of ‘inspirational’ calendars were full of lovely photos and printed on nice paper. We struggled to sell enough of them at £10 or so each to cover the cost of the print-run and the photography – and were often still left with a couple of hundred (representing hundreds of pounds) in the summer… So we adopted the approach of printing a lot of them, getting the pages sponsored and giving it away with the magazine. The calendar covers its costs and everyone gets one. I guess if you don’t like it, then it’s not like it’s cost you any extra. As I mentioned, we give the option of the page sponsor to supply their own artwork, or else we’ll supply something appropriate. Unfortunately, if they want to supply something inappropriate because they’re an ‘edgy’ company and want people to talk about (worked, hasn’t it?) then that’s what we go with, in the same way that we might not like every single advert that’s in the magazine, but they help it be made, so we’re happy to have the advertisers there.

However, if 500 of you want to send me £12 by August, I’ll produce and print you 500 copies of a lovely calendar for 2012 with some inspirational pictures in. But stumping up £5K and hoping to sell enough to cover the costs isn’t something we as a small independent company can afford. We do offer a few screensavers that’d be good to download and print out if you fancy an alternative…

neninja
    Free Member

That stupid picture meant my copy went straight in the bin as I’d be embarrassed to put that up.

An opportunity ruined for those who paid for advertising space by the selection of a daft picture that totally devalued the appeal of the whole thing. To be honest a few of the pictures are disappointing – a project clearly led by the advertisers.

Not personally too worried but if I had paid for a month’s advertising I’d be less than impressed.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I’m sorry but am I the only one who finds this ironically funny, and somewhat hypacritical of the STW masses, come on people is this not just Friday Kylie or A&A or any number of other threads that appear on here on a regular basis, have we all started taking ourselves way too seriously, if you don’t like the calendar don’t use it, it was free, the magazine itself this month was excellent, (not brown nosing here, there have been some ropey articles of late) getting a calendar was a bonus, so hey ho, if you don’t approve of it, nevermind, but a two page thread (so far) has to be fairly good advertising for Knog (great back up commuter lights IMHO) anyway nuff said back to my Monday Moscow Mules, have fun people and remember, just chill, no one got hurt..

mjcharl
    Free Member

My calendar has just arrived and I don’t know whether to bin or try to patch it up. It’s certainly put me off Knog!

I’ve been looking forward to the new Calendar arriving for a while, it’s one of the highlights of the mag. Although it may be free it’s one of the reasons I subscribe.

miketually
    Free Member

That picture made me feel funny in my tummy.

djglover
    Free Member

What gets me is a few of the complainers on this thread have such an over-inflated view of their own self importance when it comes to how their views this should be taken into account.

Get over it, for every prude complainer there are scores of happy readers gratefull for a free gift.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Intimate your interest for a 2012 Singletrackworld calendar Here

fatmax

Folks – this is a storm in a tea-cup (or STW blue coffee mug) surely?
    I have my STW calendar up at work, and I’ll have to take it down when it’s the Knog picture, but it will go straight back up.
    It’s free, so if you don’t like it bin it.
    If you like it, or like 11 months of it, then surely you’ve got a bargain.
    From an STW perspective – they are supplying a calendar thats not costing them anything.
    And as for Knog – I didn’t know who they were or what they did until last year’s calendar…but I do now. I wouldn’t buy anything of theirs I don’t think, but at least they have better brand awareness.
    If people get upset by this then they really need to grow up and get a life – how sensitive can people be. If this is all you have to worry and moan about, then lucky you…

rexated
    Free Member

I’m sorry but am I the only one who finds this ironically funny, and somewhat hypacritical of the STW masses, come on people is this not just Friday Kylie or A&A or any number of other threads that appear on here on a regular basis, have we all started taking ourselves way too seriously, if you don’t like the calendar don’t use it, it was free, the magazine itself this month was excellent, (not brown nosing here, there have been some ropey articles of late) getting a calendar was a bonus, so hey ho, if you don’t approve of it, nevermind, but a two page thread (so far) has to be fairly good advertising for Knog (great back up commuter lights IMHO) anyway nuff said back to my Monday Moscow Mules, have fun people and remember, just chill, no one got hurt..

i think it is quite funny too…a little subversive, good on ’em. hehe.

sv

Stupid picture and yes it has got me talking about Knog – I won’t be buying any of their products! Their marketing has worked well 😉

DezB
    Free Member

People still whinging about this?! “Ooh it went straight in the bin” signed Mr Uppity-Twonk of Tunbridge Wells.
    Stick another bleedin picture over the top if it upsets your delicate sensibilities so much.
    Will this one do?

argyle
    Free Member

where do you all work that you cant have pictures of people pretending bike locks are winkies? winkies are funny

robdob
    Free Member

Errr I work for the government in a regulatory position. Winkies are frowned upon. 😀

Blackhound

When May arrives just tear off the ‘offending’ pic and keep the April pic for an extra month.

Only downside is you can’t back-check any dates you may have written down.

acjim
    Free Member

knog have to be one of the most smug-hipster-gah-horrid bike stuff companies out there, I can’t stand them

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s not about people on here being prudes, it’s about putting in a picture that means a lot of people will have to do something with it if they have it up in their office, and how pointless that is when it could just as well have been something else.

Like a lot of people I have it up in my office which is a semi-public place, and last year (or was it the year before?) I had to skip over the Knog one even though I wasn’t personally offended by it.

It’s just hard to see the point (from Knog’s point of view- I totally get Chipp’s point).

pop-larkin
    Free Member

:wink:winkies are funny!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

what happened to my winkie?
    😉

scruff
    Free Member

I dont like knog, its a rubbish pic in a free calender. Get a life moany middle age losers.

Prude
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look up prude in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
    A prude (Old French prude meaning honourable woman)[1] is a person who is described as (or would describe themselves as) being concerned with decorum or propriety, significantly in excess of normal prevailing community standards. They may be perceived as being more uncomfortable than most with sexuality, nudity, alcohol, drug use or mischief.

epicyclo

MrSalmon – Member
    It’s not about people on here being prudes, it’s about putting in a picture that means a lot of people will have to do something with it if they have it up in their office, and how pointless that is when it could just as well have been something else…

Exactly.

If I had a private space I would have had it up for the great pics of bikes and the terrain. I’m not really interested in having pics of people on a calendar, never mind something as pathetic as that pic.

Lucky the STW mods didn’t see that calendar, or the publisher would be banned….

Nick

I dont like knog, its a rubbish pic in a free calender. Get a life moany middle age losers.

Exactly. Put it in the bin, get a nice Countryfile one, use Outlook, get a **** grip, etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘STW 2011 calendar’ is closed to new replies.