Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Stupid stupid cautioned for no ticket on train
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

What a bad start to a Monday morning! Late again so legged on the platform instead of buying a ticket, had money to purchase ticket on the train, like I have done many time before no problem. This morning however I was issued with a fine, now the stupid bit. I gave a false name and address (don’t know why, just panicked) they checked it and found out it was false so I was cautioned and interviewed. That doesn’t bother me too much just could kick myself for being so stupid instead of £20 fine I could receive a lot higher. Sooooo fed up!

MrSparkle

I’m sure everyone on here will be very understanding…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Brilliant! Sounds like something Mark off The Peep Show would do

philconsequence
    Free Member

its people like you that give my good country a bad name!

kids face next time!

think of the children!

trail erosion!

dog eggs in trees!

what tyres for the train?

riding on a footpath?!

FACT.

</thread closed>!

knitted commuting suit!

*insert random picture of building*

j_me
    Free Member

Go shoplift some Tesco’s wafer thin ham to cheer yourself up.

RustySpanner

Why wouldn’t they let you buy a ticket on the train?
    I thought they were legally obliged to do so.

scaredypants

had money to purchase ticket on the train, like I have done many time before no problem

If this is accepted practice, why did they fine you ?
    If it isn’t accepted practice, why have you done it many times ?

(Hang ’em all, I say)

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Think you are purposed to purchase ticket before traveling, apparently there are signs all over the platform. But it is so inconsistent, there shouldn’t be a facilities to buy tickets on the train if this is the case.

konabunny
    Free Member

oh my.

Stoner
    Free Member

its accepted practice on our line that you can buy on the train as there aer no ticket sales facilities at a number of the stations at any time, and others at off-peak times.

If they pulled a stunt like that on our train there’d be a self-righteous huff loud enough to hear and eyebrow raising would go up to defcon 1.

project
    Free Member

You use a train, you must be so poor not to have a car.

LOL.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

It was your train line Stoner 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

hereford-paddington line?

which station did you get on at?

nunuboogie
    Free Member

London midland, Worcester – Malvern.

Stoner
    Free Member

ahhh. pikeytrainco and they like to catch rush hour/schoolkid fare dogers on those short journeys. Unlucky. Does that mean your name will get put up on one of those posters in the ticket office listing hardened criminals those that got caught? 😉

The early FGW trains to London arent a problem – no ticket office or paybox at Pershore, or honeybourne and Malvern Link isnt open early enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Stoner lives near Hereford?

Stoner
    Free Member

do I look like a hobbit to you?

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno 🙂

poly
    Free Member

nunuboogie – Member
    Think you are purposed to purchase ticket before traveling, apparently there are signs all over the platform. But it is so inconsistent, there shouldn’t be a facilities to buy tickets on the train if this is the case.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/purchasing_tickets/penalty_fares.html

But I don’t understand why you were required to give your name and address? You just pay the penalty fare and get on with life (I’ve never done this so not sure)? Also were you told it was a fine? Because as I understand these are contractual charges not fines (like private car park penalties) – in which case claiming it is a fine probably is illegal.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23731140-fare-dodgers.do

However fare dodging is I believe illegal. As you presented it you were not fare dodging.

kimbers

What name did you give ?

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Just made one up but should have been more clever and said something like Tracey Tracks?

user-removed
    Free Member

“I am a student of the LAW!”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They do it in Reading just before the festival.

So the platforms are overwhelmed with people queing for tickets.

The trains are packed.

Then as you didn’t leave an hour extra for the 10 minute journey to get a ticket you get fined £20 whereas normaly its fine to get one on the train or from a guard.

IIRC the ‘ticket inspector’ can’t give a penalty fare, an ‘official fare collector’ can, but they have to wear high vis jackets and show you ID then provide an invoice for you.

The stupid thing is, Reading has ticket barriers, so short of jumping the barriers right infront of BTP you can’t dodge the fare, it’s purely a money making excercise.

rondo101
    Free Member

When you say you were cautioned & interviewed, was this by the police?

kevin1911

Oh the whole thing about “fines” for not having a ticket really gets on my nerves. Fair enough if you hide in the toilets or buy a ticket to the next station and stay on the train for 100 miles, but for your average punter who is running late and offers to pay, it’s just stupid.

I’m almost always running late for the train. The few times the ticket inspector raises an eybrow when I try to buy on board, I use the excuse of either the ticket machine wouldn’t accept my tenner, or the Chip and PIN machine wouldn’t read my card.

Seems to me it’s just another reason to NOT use public transport. it’s as if there’s a quango somewhere whose sole responsibility is to make public transport as unfriendly and as difficult as possible.

</rant>

nunuboogie
    Free Member

No police involved just a train inspector, I pleaded with her to let me buy a ticket she flatly refused.

BoardinBob

But I don’t understand why you were required to give your name and address? You just pay the penalty fare and get on with life (I’ve never done this so not sure)? Also were you told it was a fine? Because as I understand these are contractual charges not fines (like private car park penalties) – in which case claiming it is a fine probably is illegal.

What a load of crap on that link. Private companies issuing “penalties”, quoting private car parks as justification. 😆

Hairychested
    Free Member

She was a lesbian.

donsimon
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher!

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Gutted, just found out the train 10mins later does not issued penalty fines! Will never be traveling on London Midland again.

jon1973
    Free Member

I blame George Stephenson.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    MSP

6 Give your correct name, address and journey details.

Once you have paid the single fare, the collector will then ask for your name and address so that they can send a demand for the rest to be paid within 21 days. They can check names and addresses while you wait with the electoral roll database. The only criminal offence in the whole penalty fares legislation is refusing to give a name and address, or giving a false one. So give the right details.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Fail

yossarian
    Free Member

If you are gonna give a false name and address be sure to make sure they exist.

konabunny
    Free Member

Failing to appear on the electoral roll doesn’t prove anything; there are plenty of people who are quite legitimately not on the UK electoral roll.

for your average punter who is running late and offers to pay, it’s just stupid

Well, yeah, but when confronted by an inspector everyone claims they’re an average punter who’s running late and would be only too willing to pay!

takisawa2

The only criminal offence in the whole penalty fares legislation is refusing to give a name and address, or giving a false one. So give the right details.

You’ve had it mate. 🙂

project
    Free Member

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Postnunuboogie – Member
    Gutted, just found out the train 10mins later does not issued penalty fines! Will never be traveling on London Midland again.

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

London Midland seem to have serious problems with staff refusing to work at wekends and sometimes any time that suits them

jhw
    Free Member

on what basis could the ticket officer give you a caution i.e. a criminal conviction?

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Because I gave them and false name and address, I now see the error of my ways.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Stupid stupid cautioned for no ticket on train’ is closed to new replies.