Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Stupid off, and delayed pain…
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Morning all,

Went out for a ride last night to enjoy the new evening sunlight and had a stupid laps of concentration dropping off a trail onto a crossing fireroad where my front wheel dropped too soon, stalled, and I dived forward and landed on my chest with forearms flat in front. After 30 seconds of thinking I’d broken all my ribs, I realised that I’d just knocked the wind out of me and was fine! Rists maybe a bit sore but I hadn’t stuck them out, so wasn’t worried.

Anyway, continued the ride, went home, had a shower, did some washing up, did a bit of tidying, went to bed. All fine. Then at about midnight I wake up and my left hand is in agony! In the same place that I broke it May last year. I know it will likely be weaker after a brake but it’s been feeling at full strength for months. Don’t know whether the pain was made worse by being on my own and worrying about getting up at 4am to go to work (not my usual wake up time), but I couldn’t stand it so took some paracetamol and after a while it started to ease.

It doesn’t really feel swollen, at least nothing like it was when I broke it first time. So I’m wondering if I’ve likely broken it again, or if it’s just now going to hurt more if it gets a knock. Don’t really know if I’m after medical advice (could ask the gf when she’s back from hols but will get zero sympathy as usual!), or whether I just feel like expressing my shock that it only started hurting 4 hour after the event!!

Generally confused and tired from getting up far too early!

rewski
    Free Member

Which bone did you break last time? If it’s the scaphoid then it’s wise to get it xrayed again, mine didn’t heal after two years, and they can develop cysts which make the bone weaker, mine’s now screwed and grafted. If you get away with it I’d recommend you ride with wrist braces, 661 and EVS.

robinbetts
    Free Member

No, it wasn’t the scaphoid, was the outer metacarpal.

Broken hand by mrrfb, on Flickr

If I need to get it x-rays again, should I go to the GP, or just go to A&E? I know it was an accident, but wouldn’t class it as an emergency!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Del

did a similar thing a few months ago on our night ride. silly, low speed off, got the hands out, bit of a thump but back on the bike quickly and off again with no noticeable ill effects. 3 pints on the way home, then awake at 3 in the morning in what i would describe as bad pain, cold sweats, shivering, the works. called nhs direct, as i was a bit concerned at this point ( though i suppose they would have just told me to go to a&e ), they said they were busy and would call back…
    took some pain killers, made myself a cup of tea and waited for them to kick in, then went to sleep again.
    bit painful in the morning, but fine for movement etc.
    seems fine now. if you have history though, it’s probably worth getting it checked out. they’re not a a joint to mess with i understand.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’d go straight round to Accident & Emergency

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Stupid off, and delayed pain…’ is closed to new replies.