Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stumpjumper M5 HT riders over 6ft – What size frame do you ride?
  • H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

I am looking at getting a stumpjumper or s-works M5 frame and not sure what size to look for as would prefer a used one. I currently have a 21" rockhopper but thinking of going down to a 19" as the stumpy has a longer stem. Any info would be very much appreciated. Oh by the way I am 6ft 3" which according to the specialized info is on the edge of both 19 & 21 inch frames.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I'm 6'3" and i ride a 19inch S Works M4 hardtail. Fits me like a glove. I used to have a 21 inch Rockhopper and it was miles too big.

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

I dont suppose you could post a picture of it for me please so i can visualise it or email me one if easier. Thanks in advance if you can.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Heres a pic of a 19" Stumpy M5. Im 6' BTW.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Here you go

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Thankyou. Is that yours?

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Thanks for yours too mr hopper. I am currently on ebay.com looking at a stumpjumper 29er.

chainslapp
    Free Member

That was mine, but recently sold.

Kato

My mate is 6'3" and rides a 19" M4 and he thinks it's a bit small

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

This is what i was expecting, but i really hoped it wouldn't be.
    M5's appear to be the same length but have longer headtubes.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Is the next one up a 21 inch? Thats way too big in my opinion, i had hardly any standover clearance on mine.

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Yes, next one up is a 21" but that's what I'm used to but that doesn't mean a 19" would not be better for me.
    The stumpy will have a longer stem than the hopper which is why i was thinking of going down a size but i don't want there to be a silly amount of seatpost on show. It's more the length i'm worried about than stand over height, I may feel the 19 is too short.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Standover height is more important though for a mountain bike, not least beacsue it means that you'll be more confident that you can get off the bike in a hurry if you need to.
    Smaller frames are more rigid as well.
    Generally if you are undecided between two frame sizes its always better to go with the smaller one.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the world are you?

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

about 5 miles north of London

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Ah, if you were near chesterfield you could have had a go on mine.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Standover height is more important though for a mountain bike, not least beacsue it means that you'll be more confident that you can get off the bike in a hurry if you need to.
    Smaller frames are more rigid as well.
    Generally if you are undecided between two frame sizes its always better to go with the smaller one.

If you want a bike that fits you should pretty much ignore that.

TT length (or reach/stack) is VERY important. I'm 6'3 and don't get on with anything sub 24" TT, for what it's worth.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

6ft 4", 34" inside leg, tried both over the years, 21 was a HT, 19 was a FS, 19 just felt like I was perched on it rather than in it, 21, although felt big, WAS the RIGHT choice but never looked any good because of its size !

For me, the most impostant part of a bike is the C to T measurement, get one too small and legs dont get full extension whilst pedalling, TT can be dealt with in my opinion by stem and seat rail adjustment

(19" FS was a maxed seatpos too which is never good TBH.)

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

I too have a 34" inside leg and deep down am pretty sure 21" frame is for me but as everyone tells me "it looks like a gate"

Have you seen the latest stumpjumperin a 21"? (there was one on ebay)
    It looks even bigger as the head tube is soooooo loooong.

eddy
    Free Member

I'm also 6'3" and have a 19" Stumpy HT. I used a shorter (90mm) stem on mine and it felt mint. The standard stem is 110mm IIRC.

It's now for sale too (i'm moving house and don't have the space to keep it)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-specialized-stumpjumper-comp-ht?replies=1#post-1501313

check it out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper M5 HT riders over 6ft – What size frame do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.