Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • richmond to marske in swaledale N.Yorks bridleway victory !
  • ericj
    Free Member

I have just heard that the public planning enquiry that was held in March has determined that this really is a bridleway and that the decades of debate and appeals into it's status are now finally over. With luck it will now be properly signed and the stiles and walls that have obstructed it's use up to now will be removed. We owe our thanks to the British Horse Society and to the Bridleways and Byways Trust who presented the case against the proposed downgrading at the enquiry.

This bridleway provides the only offroad link from Richmond west to Marske in Swaledale. It is an important and historical route that should never have been under threat. From Marske there is then a choice of offroad routes up Swaledale to Reeth and over to Arkengarthdale.

Dalesbikecentre

This is indeed a fantastic ruling and the sooner the stiles are opened out to gates the better.

Really good work by the BHS and the Bridleways and Byways Trust. But there are two local figures who really do deserve a mention:-

John D has battled for this for years and years his beard has gone grey in the meantime, it must be 20 years he has been banging on about it. I'm so pleased for us and him that his work has helped bring this about.

Alan (aka SOC super fit vet) also spent an amazing amount of time researching the history around this particular bit of trail, his evidence was instrumental in the final decision.

To them all I/we thank them for their efforts this bit of trail that links Swaledale to Richmond is a gem to have on our cycle map.

Cheers

Stu

FFJA
    Free Member

Certainly second ya there Stu, i'm looking forward to off road riding for my shopping!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Any chance of them banning hosses then, before they churn it all up? 😈

domino

Thats really good – great work.

I have been nosing round the Yorkshire Dales National Park website as I have been wondering about bridleways that lead to nowhere and suddenly change to footpaths and wondered who and how this all gets dealth with. Looking at the Access Forum section it looks like there is representation from organisations such as the British Horse Societs, Ramblers Association and some off-roading organisation but it would appear that there is much less representation from mountain bikers. Why is that?

FOG

Is this the one that goes up Hurgill and through Applegarth? If so vry good, landowners have been blocking this for far too long!

dreamer
    Free Member

As Stu says "Alan (aka SOC super fit vet) also spent an amazing amount of time researching the history around this particular bit of trail, his evidence was instrumental in the final decision." – well that's me.
    SOC is the Swaledale Outdoor Club and is the local mtb club in the dale. It was an interesting project to get involved with and the correct decision came out.
    The Planning Inspectorate's decision is
    here and I do believe that my evidence proved the most crucial.
    As for "esselgruntfuttock", read the original post and see who else (BHS) did the work before making snide remarks.
    FOG – the route isn't up Hurgill its up Westfields but I think it's still the same track you're thinking of.
    The National Park and the County Council have already inspected the four sites where bridle gates are needed so hopefully they will be in place soon.

Alan (aka SOC super fit vet)

miketually
    Free Member

Oooh, map link?

dreamer
    Free Member

Best map is page 10 in the Planning Inspectorate link above in my previous post.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

As for "esselgruntfuttock", read the original post and see who else (BHS) did the work before making snide remarks.

I did read the original post, didn't you notice my devilish grin at the end of mine?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘richmond to marske in swaledale N.Yorks bridleway victory !’ is closed to new replies.