Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • stuck piston in avid elixir – suggestions
  • jonb
    Free Member

Trying to replace the pistons in my avid elixirs but one is well and truly stuck.

I was able to do one side using a track pump to blow it out but the other is completely stuck.

Any tips or tricks on how to get it out? Brak is in pieces so can’t use the lever pressure to force it out.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try working a thin silicone lube such as Fork Juice into the seal area whilst rocking the piston, should help both if the piston is stuck to the seal, or if it’s cocked in the bore.

purplebikeshed
    Free Member

Bolt the 2 half’s together again including the seal between the bodies, do a quick bleed through of the system. Then fit one old pad on the side of the good piston. Use zip ties to hold the pad and piston into the body,(you’ll need 2 or 3 big ish zip ties to take the pressure. Then use the brake lever to pump the seized piston out. Split the system in half again and replace seal + piston.

jonb
    Free Member

I hit the piston with a chisel. It shattered and I removed it. I was replacing it anyway, no visual damage to the caliper as I was careful but I’ll find out on reassembly.

Hotfly
    Free Member

Jonb – I had the same problem. In the end I did manage to blow the stuck piston out of one half of the caliper… I used a track pump and managed to get some plastic piping that fitted fitted well enough into the inlet bore, with one finger over the opening that feeds across to the other caliper. Came out with quite a pop – watch yourself.

Hotfly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘stuck piston in avid elixir – suggestions’ is closed to new replies.