• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mt.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Struggling to chose a party to vote for in the General Election!
  • ski
    Free Member

Totally foxed as to who to vote for in the General Election this time round!

Read all the main party manifestos (that was fun ;-), watched the debates, even spoke to the Mrs, who is quite clear on who she is voting for!

Am I the only one struggling?

Mintman
    Free Member

Me too! I like some of what labour says but then they've got a track record that suggests otherwise. Don't agree with "call me dave" but I like a bit of what he says and think perhaps a change is what's needed. I don't like the lib dem policy on trident so that rules them out for me. Decisions eh!

coffeeking
    Free Member

no

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don't like the lib dem policy on trident so that rules them out for me

They have only ruled out a like for like replacement not unilaterally giving up of nuclear weapons- they want a review and presumably something cheaper. Voting for someone just for the sake of change is a bit odd IMHO
    I am not a lib dem supporter bt the way.
    try this
    http://www.votematch.org.uk/
    Not sure of accuracy as my Asian boss came out as a BNP as his best match!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

ski
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy

LOL – I might just end up using that chart at this rate 😉

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It makes sense to me.

The more people who vote Lib Dem the better, its time that the population of this country see that there are choices other than just labour or cuntservative and that we're not locked in to a political system the consists of just two parties as has been the case for the last 65 years. If the vote is split fairly equally between the three then its going to change the face of politics in this country, its not just the next 5 year of incumbent govt. but for the next 50.

Andituk
    Free Member

I was set to vote Lib Dem until Clegg said he'd set up camp with Cameron. Seems like a daft thing to say to me, should have kept his mouth shut, I think lots of his potential voters want something different to Labour but don't want Cameron. Should have stayed neutral.

rkk01
    Free Member

A vote for the LibDems THIS TIME will be a vote to clean up the future of politics… and hopefully make sure that conceited arrogance on behalf of the Labour or Tory parties can never hold sway over this country again – unless they have the mandate of the people.
    If you've never voted LD before and don't intend to in the future, I would still urge people to vote for electoral reform.
    The system is corrupt – a vote for Blue or Red will preserve that corruption. Voting LibDem will at least bring the issue of constitutional reform to the table.

grumm
    Free Member

http://www.whodoivotefor.co.uk/

I was set to vote Lib Dem until Clegg said he'd set up camp with Cameron.

He didn't exactly say that did he? Think he just said that Labour shouldn't still have the PM if they come third in the election.

rkk01
    Free Member

I was set to vote Lib Dem until Clegg said he'd set up camp with Cameron. Seems like a daft thing to say to me, should have kept his mouth shut, I think lots of his potential voters want something different to Labour but don't want Cameron. Should have stayed neutral.

I think Clegg needs to show that he is willing to work with either party – otherwise he risks getting squeezed by both. If either Brown or Cameron need to enter a coalition with the LibDems, they will need to enter a dialogue (in Parliament and with the people) about the future of our voting system.
    ETA following grum's comment. And that would respect the will of the people

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

He's also said he won't make his bed with any party unless they agree on his four key policies.

The best thing about this election so far are the number of young people talking politics – in the pub on friday it was one of the main subjects of conversation even among the 'kids' I know who are mostly 18-21.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ski – Vote locally then – whats your sitting MP like? is he / she an arse? who is most likely to beat them?. Tactical voting.

If you are in a safe seat it doesn't really matter – so vote green.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Clegg actually said he would not support Brown to be PM not the labour Party per se- he worded it very clearly/cleverly to JUST rule out propping up Brown as PM

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

[sarcasm]The tories have some great idea which are fully supported by the party too…[/sarcasm]

'Free Schools'

Parents can't manage to discipline their kids outside of the school gates. How is spending public money on this hairbrained scheme going to do anything other than take funding from an already struggling schools system?!?

soobalias
    Free Member

given that it doesnt matter who you vote for, the politicians always win…..

i will be voting for democracy – ie a random independant candidate solely to help them reach the threshold whereby they dont lose their £10K deposit

rkk01
    Free Member

will be voting for democracy – ie a random independant candidate solely to help them reach the threshold whereby they dont lose their £10K deposit

Errr – but wouldn't a vote for electoral reform now improve their chances in future elections??
    That would be voting for democracy

Nick

Parents can't manage to discipline their kids outside of the school gates

A tiny majority of parents can't manage to discpline their kids outside of the school gates, lets hope that their general lack of interest in their kids will mean they are unlikely to give up quality time watching deadenders to instead serve as school governors, PTA members etc let alone try and set up a school from scratch!

rkk01
    Free Member

A tiny majority of parents can't manage to discpline their kids outside of the school gates, lets hope that their general lack of interest in their kids will mean they are unlikely to give up quality time watching deadenders to instead serve as school governors, PTA members etc let alone try and set up a school from scratch!

Agree with the sentiment – but a bit out of line with reality. Sadly a sizeable minority don't give a monkey's about supporting their kid's education…
    And Governors mtgs at Eastenders time of day? – I had to resign from the Board of Govenors at our kids' school because the meetings were always at 1530. The only folks who could attend the meetings were those who were at home all day 👿

funkynick

SOOBalias – Member

given that it doesnt matter who you vote for, the politicians always win…..

i will be voting for democracy – ie a random independant candidate solely to help them reach the threshold whereby they dont lose their £10K deposit

The deposit is about £500 I believe, and certainly not £10k!

Edging towards Lib Den as I seam to distrust them the least.
    Don't see any point in voting for anyone not in the big 3 as the country is so fecked it needs serious sorting out.

ski
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Ski – Vote locally then – whats your sitting MP like? is he / she an arse? who is most likely to beat them?. Tactical voting.

If you are in a safe seat it doesn't really matter – so vote green.

TJ, yep, I have considered this, I think you are right, tactical voting might be the way to go.

mt
    Free Member

"TandemJeremy – Member

If you are in a safe seat it doesn't really matter – so vote green."

Spot on with this. Vote for the person that will represent those that put them there and will even go against their own party. If you don't like the Green person check for an Independant and have a look at what they say.
    Sod the parties choose a good person.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to chose a party to vote for in the General Election!’ is closed to new replies.