Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano Chainring cost:: cheaper to buy a new crankset!
  • Kieran

A freind of mine has asked me to replace the drivechain on his bike. Its had a few years use so everything needs changing.

Just looking at some new chainrings and priced up three Shimano deore chainrings on CRC: £53

Cost of a new hollowtech2 deore crankset on crc: £50

is this right?

DaveGr
    Free Member

Yes, bought a chainset recently and will sell the cranks / BB on Ebay – or maybe keep the BB as a spare.

MrTall
    Free Member

I'm afraid so. Rings now seem very expensive so you have a choice of buying a new chainset and binning the old one or taking the rings off and selling the arms on here to get aroud £20 back or you can ask for cheap rings in the classifieds.

I have 2 brand new unused 44t deore outer rings (one black one silver) that i would be happy to sell for £15 posted. You'll pick up a granny ring cheap off a singlespeeder or downhiller who bought a chainset to split and then it's just buying the middle ring for around £12 on crc.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

it' ridiculous the cost of Shimano chain rings these days…I have a new un-used deore 2010 chainset and BB for £45 posted if you wanted. Took it off my new bike.

Email in profile if your interested

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mr Tall – YGM Re: chainrings.
    If the OP doesn't want them, I certainly will! 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

The outer is unlikely to be worn, and steel middle and inners are cheaper and last longer for minimal weight penalty.

chakaping
    Free Member

YGM mr Cows

chrisrhayes

Shame isn't it. I just got a new SLX chainset rather than 3 new Blackspire rings.

Plus I bought a park chain-wear tool to help gauge the chain wear, as this is a big factor in the wear of rings. As well as grit, mud, and err, logs.

MrTall
    Free Member

PP – won't check that email until i get home later.

Just re -read my post and i meant to say i have a choice of 2 rings in black or silver, either of which would be £15 posted, not both as it may have come across. Just in case my original wording confuses. Cheers. I'll email you later regardless.

timbercombe
    Free Member

Got a full set of rings brand new off a deore chainset for £25 posted if you fancy it..Email in profile. 44/32/22 (Think that's it – not the touring size)

Jenga
    Free Member

As the offers are pouring in I've got a new set of rings 22/32/42. Black outer, silver smaller two. Pics if required. £25 posted. Mail me if interested.

cp

superstar have a deal on three rings for 37.99

glenncampbell

Totally – get the chainset and keep the spares. It gets even worse when you look at XTR!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Chainring cost:: cheaper to buy a new crankset!’ is closed to new replies.