• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Stroppy git on the train
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not often I want to rant but WTF is it with some folk

Getting on the Glasgow train yesterday with my bike there is a chap piling up his luggage in the bike space despite the being a sign saying its for bikes and a luggage space nearer to his seat. Asked him to move the stuff so I could get my bike on and was treated to a rant about bikes going on for free and taking up seat spaces and leaving mud every where and he just wouldn’t shut up! chap must have been in his 60s. He was really angry and upset walking off muttering. I asked him if he always got so angry over trivia 🙂

Its not unusual for folk to block the cycle space with luggage despite there being clear signs and even huff and puff a bit when asked to move it so I can get my bike on but this guy was outrageous ranting at me.

And breathe

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Last time this happened to me I just moved the luggage…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The guy moved his stuff straight away – just ranted as he did it

hels
    Free Member

Did you say please ??

A guy had a rant at me at Fort William once cos I parked my car outside his house (the cheek !) I agreed to move it if he asked me politely. He nearly exploded then mustered some good manners and said please. I was a bit scared but you should always politely stand up to bullies and call their bluff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Outside his house on his drive or on the public highway?

hels
    Free Member

On the public street, of course not on his driveway !! Is that what you do ??

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just wondering why he was so stroppy. Seen it done though.

smell_it
    Free Member

It’s so much healthier to come and bitch about it on the net.

hels
    Free Member

A street with lots of B & Bs. I could see his point, but no need to shout at a stranger. Was cool in the end.

hels
    Free Member

smell_it that is what t’internet is for…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Never understood why people get so possessive over space that isn’t actually theirs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I certainly ws not particularly rude or gave himhe reason to rant. He was piling the stuff up in the space as I got on the train saw me and started huffing and puffing – I probably sighed and said “Could you move the bags please” which then triggered the rant – the basis of which seemed to be that bikes go for free and take up seats.

ska-49
    Free Member

On my cycle I often see a space that someone has put 4 bags of gravel in to reserve for themselves. Its public parking, no markings. Really tempted to take them for good (they cant be disabled if they have to move them everyday).

float
    Free Member

Getting on the Glasgow train…

well theres your problem 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I probably sighed and said “Could you move the bags please”

Maybe you need to work on your delivery.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What – “move the bags you fat stroppy old git”?

nealglover
    Free Member

Ah I see now.

When I read the title I presumed it referred to the person with the bike, sighing because someone used the wrong storage space for their bags.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Getting on the Glasgow train yesterday with my bike there is a chap piling up his luggage in the bike space despite the being a sign saying its for bikes and a luggage space nearer to his seat.

Maybe he objected to your perceived ownership of the space? Maybe he was one of a number of highly trained PITA’s who are now tailing you to respond to trespass issues

cynic-al
    Free Member

Had this too, just remember there are plenty of idiots around.

Also had the move your car thing.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

What – “move the bags you fat stroppy old git“?

No need for that, TJ.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sowwy 😳

brakes
    Free Member

could you not share?
    just put your bike on top of his luggage?
    luggage room on modern trains is woeful. have you ever been on the East coast main line train out of Kings Cross on a Bank Holiday Friday?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a modern train used by commuters – plenty room for luggage. If there are cases there then you cannot get the bikes out of the way of the buffet trolley. there is a sign saying no luggage in this space
    The guy was being deliberately awkward – looking for an excuse to rant. We ll he didn’t reckon on the power of TJ did he!

MrSmith
    Free Member

amazing isn’t it. you get sociopath cretins like that on internet forums too!

jimmy

Bikes go for free, huh? Hope you told him to courier his luggage next time?

martinxyz
    Free Member

‘do you know who the **** I am, and do you know what’s inside this rucksack, old man? I suggest you move at least three carriages along’

myheadsashed

Had the same thing last year also in Glasgow, going up to Aviemore. The only difference was mid rant the conductor appeared behind him and told him in no uncertain terms to shift the cases or leave the train. An amazing transformation took place as he couldn’t have been more help after that. 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You should have parked your bikes two abreast, he would have seen the error of his ways and accommodated you by giving you at least a cars width of space. 😉

BigJohn

Minor point of pedantry here.

Shouldn’t it be “Two Stroppy Gits on the Train”?
    😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Na – he was on his own 🙂

GW
    Free Member

you should have helped him out by puting his luggage onto the platform at “Linlithgow” 😉

😆

ononeorange

Had a similar if slightly different thing a few years ago – bikes parked neatly in the appropriate space on a virtually empty train and saw some bloke staring at them, then he kicked mine over quite deliberately. When I got up he just launched off into an incredibly angry rant and just kept going and yelling. He eventually stormed off to a different carriage muttering about bikes and when he got out did the whole staring thorugh the windows at me. No idea what set him off – never did anything to upset him.

It does really p*** me off how bikes are sometimes regarded as a lower form of life in this way. It seems acceptable to a large swathe of society.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

ononeorange, I would have dropped him on the spot, no questions asked.

GW
    Free Member

fair enough, self defence isn’t it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – Member

you should have helped him out by puting his luggage onto the platform at “Linlithgow”

A bit like “getting off at Haymarket” ?

GW
    Free Member

you have a short memory TJ you silly old snob!

nick1962
    Free Member

I asked him if he always got so angry over trivia

Only the once TJ?
    You should have said the same thing 4 or 5 times then perhaps that would have convinced him. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – I got the reference

Nick 🙂

ononeorange

Kingkong – would have loved to but inevitably I would have ended up in the wrong and in court. He was a compelete a4se though.

saleem
    Free Member

You could just tell him to f-off or you’ll snap his neck, or throw his bags off the train at the next stop.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Stroppy git on the train’ is closed to new replies.