Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Stress, does it all get too much for you sometimes?
  • flow
    Free Member

Chronic stress at work seemed to be the trigger for my Bi-polar disorder, which has pretty much **** up my life for the last 6 years.

Although I have been pretty good for the last 12 months looking back I have lost 5 years of my life, and I will no doubt need to remain on medication for the rest of my life, or the very least the next 5 years, and the risks of a serious relapse make me think I will choose to stay with the drugs.

I have no doubt I am an outlier and my body/brain reacted very badly to it, but stress is something to take very seriously

Stress is apparently what caused my CFS. Its only been 8 months so far, so nothing like your 5 years, but in that time it has reduced me to doing very little compared to what I used to do.

I ache all over like I have the flu, can’t sleep for shit (although its improving) and life is generally sucking hard at the moment. The worst thing being is I don’t know when/if its going to end.

Sorry to put an extra downer on things.

tazzymtb

totally sympathise, suffering from metal stress levels at the moment, ridiculous work conditions, massive financial strain, no where near enough time to be able to get any exercise to re-set my brain, can’t sleep properly etc..

it’ll get better or it’ll kill me, no other option really, but such is life.

best of luck

tang
    Free Member

Yup, suffer on and off with terrible anxiety/panic attacks. Triggered by stress initially but lots of underlying trauma that’s the real root. Meditation not medication for me. Within my belief system we have one force within us and it’s strong so the idea is to use the tools to keep it flowing positively, not latching it onto anxieties, as when that freight train gets going takes a while to stop. Ride, healthy habits, do some things for others and try to have a good laugh now and again. In this day and age it seems more and more to be a skill, not a given.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jota180
    Free Member

I’ve not read many of the posts on this thread so apologies if I’m repeating anything

I suffer quite badly when stress and anxiety collide

I can somehow always convince myself that I’ll come out the other side but worry that the day will come when I don’t

OP – stay as strong as you can and when you can’t be strong, sit it out till you can again

EDIT: sorry that sounds stupid telling you to sit down
    I just hang on till it goes away – like everyone else I guess

jools182
    Free Member

Yes it does get too much sometimes, and its hard to see it coming

Things just seem to keep piling on top of the problems you already have

Been through plenty of anxiety related crap over the years

My advice would be to do some exercise, and if you don’t feel like, or can’t, go out on the bike, do something else, running or the gym or something like that

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Exercise releases happy hormones (Seratonin), so don’t underestimate the benefit of getting out on your bike or going for a walk. Depends on where your head is at, going for a walk gives you “thinking” time where getting on your bike and doing something you have to concentrate on doesn’t, so depends on what you need at the time.

Started running 3 mornings a week before work a while ago, and found the days much more bearable having started off that way.

A few years ago I went through a bad time and I was recommended to write things down in a journal each day, the good, the bad and the ugly… really hard to do, but what it did was get it off my chest and recognise the problems. I never re-read what I wrote as it was too difficult at the time, but it did help, and within a couple of weeks I could see what the underlying trigger was.

Friends are worth a lot, but they can’t help if they don’t know….

brooess
    Free Member

Moodscope

Is really helpful. Making you think about how you feel and leaving a quick diary really helps spot the trigger points and how you are, to a large degree, creating your own stress by the way you react to those points…

rugbydick

@ oxnop
    Where do I get one of those stress relieving flying dogs? :mrgreen:

shooterman

I am a worrier and I have a high stress job which doesn’t help things.

Like jota180 I tell myself I will get through it but worry one day I’m going to get floored and not be able to get back up from it.

Cycling, running, weights and the “mindfulness” technique keeps me going.

oxnop
    Free Member

Where do I get one of those stress relieving flying dogs?

You can have mine, he is taking up too much room on the sofa ATM!

spikester
    Free Member

Hi Si

I live in south east Sheffield near rother valley – if you fancy a bike run and some company some time I have a local bike run that’s nearly all off road and a good little run. Takes about 1.5 hours.

I don’t work regular hours in a 9-5 job so I go cycling pretty much when I fancy it. Sometimes see a couple of buzzards while out on this run and plenty of nice scenery to keep you focused on the cycling. I’m no speed demon either ?

Drop me an email if you fancy a ride sometime and I hope things get better soon
    Paul

buzz1024
    Free Member

+1 for meditation – I also do Tai Chi.
    Not work related stress for me though – single parenthood and a bitch of an ex 🙂

I also have the attitude that ” every day you wake up breathing is a bonus” – gives it all perspective 😛

daveb
    Free Member

I was going through all sorts in my personal and work life and wasnt really sure where it was going to end with things just getting worse. For the last few months I have been going to counseling and it has helped loads, I am still going but it looks like my next session will be the last. I think people sometimes see seeking help as a weakness (I did) but its not and can make a huge difference just being able to speak to someone who wont judge and will listen. You have already had offers but if I can help in any way or you would like to know about what I have gone through in my counseling sessions please feel free to drop me an email.

BillMC

Check out Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s Flow Theory

ojom
    Free Member

you need to come up here for a holiday and we can go riding and eating and hydrating.

Dobbo

I can get a bit stressed out if I’ve got too much on the go and I seem to feel like I’m chasing my arse and the amount I need to do is getting longer.
    Try to prioritise things make a list and cross off things as they get done, it also helps me to finish jobs rather than starting loads of things and not getting any finished then they all jumble around in my mind. I also set time aside at weekends to get jobs done and finished around the home, have some weekends where you ‘book’ any thing in and keep to it.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Stress, does it all get too much for you sometimes?’ is closed to new replies.