Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Strava – Strive for the summit run challenge
  • dobo
    Free Member

10,000 feet/3048 meters climbing in May. Anyone going to give this run challenge a go?

Not many big hills round my way let alone mountains so doubt i’ll get close but its incredible how far some people run/climb.

if i can climb 1500m over 2-3 runs a week then i’ll be happy.

djglover
    Free Member

I’m in, gonna run up pen y fan on Friday though so will be 1/3 in in a day 🙂

dobo
    Free Member

damn you people and your big hills.

are you actually going to run all of it though, or is it a run walk, my heart rate would go out of control fairly quickly

djglover
    Free Member

The steep bits to the summit are too steep to run, but most of the routes are runnable

seanoc
    Free Member

djglover – I think I’ll be doing that on Friday as well. I’ve got a really nice 22 mile loop; should be good for at leat 6000ft.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I don’t do running, but I’ll be seeing how far I get in the Nuun Twice the Tour Challenge (1479 miles in May).

dobo
    Free Member

Dibbs i’ll join that too but seeing how i only ride once a week at the moment i wont manage much. I only managed 14% on the last bike challenge in april

djglover
    Free Member

Seanoc, what’s yer route. I will probably do the ridge loop from talybont res. Which is only 11 miles. 22 is outside my current fell running capability I think.

mrphil
    Free Member

Done this little run today….

http://app.strava.com/rides/7552975

seanoc
    Free Member

Starting from Storey Arms I’ll usually head straight up Corn Du-Pen y Fan-Cribyn-Fan y Big-ridgeway down to the northern tip of Talybont- Talybont Forest- waterfalls-Gap-Pen y Fan then descend past the obelisk to avoid the crowd. I always intend to hit Cribyn a second time but never have the legs.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I did the sums earlier in the week for this challenge, and worked out it would be about 170-220 miles I’d have do in May.
    That ain’t going to happen 🙂

seanoc
    Free Member

Another nice route is to do the regular ascent but instead of going up Corn Ddu take the path to the right which takes you over a cracking ridgeway and down a steep decent to Neudd Resevoir. Then up the Gap, Cribyn, Pen y Fan and down past the obelisk.

dobo
    Free Member

cmon mrphil, thats blatantly a ride not a run

mrphil
    Free Member

oops sorry, mis read the opening post lol.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dibbs i’ll join that too but seeing how i only ride once a week at the moment i wont manage much. I only managed 14% on the last bike challenge in april

I’ve managed 55% of the climbing challenge but there’s still a few hours left this afternoon after work (if it stops raining) 😯

seanoc
    Free Member

Erm, for some reason I read this as 10000m – where is the challenge in 10000ft? I should have that cracked by the middle of next week.

rugbydick

A couple of people have done it already…

Someone went out and did hill reps until he’d done the altitude yesterday (1st day of the challenge).

richardk
    Free Member

I’m 1% of the way there from a lunchtime run – bit more to go then! Doing the Marlborough Downs trail run on 12 May so that should get me most of the way there

beanum

I’ve been ignoring all of these Strava posts for ages (“Strava addiction”, “Strava will be the death of me”) because I assumed it was a fancy type of ground coffee…:-)

Now I can know I can ignore them because it’s about people fitter than me nutters running up mountains…

dobo
    Free Member

hmm 6% done after one 5k run with 170m ascent.. might have to bung in some hill reps to even reach my own personal target.. off road hills in the mud and wet are hard, roll on tomorrow, hopefully be over 10% by this time tomorrow

seanoc
    Free Member

50% done all off road and no repetition.

dobo
    Free Member

how many km did it take to do that?

seanoc
    Free Member

53’ish…… It’s been a bit of a bumper week so far.

dobo
    Free Member

53km.. if i had that ability i’d of mtfu and won this thing by now 🙂
    on 13% now. todays run was an 8.9k loop with 226 ascent!

djglover
    Free Member
    dobo
    Free Member

put in a big one today, 353m at QECP by bolting on the Butser Hill climb, thats one tough hill to crack.. if i can do few more runs like this then i might even complete the challenge. The climbs are tough but the downhills are brutal.. 25% done in 6 days.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think Seanoc lives somewhere hillier than me 😀

________________Seanoc____me
    Distance________213.3mi___195.0mi
    Time____________32hr 21m__30hr 57m
    Elev Gain_______26,123ft__8,071ft
    Runs____________28________34

dobo
    Free Member

heh, nice one ian, thought id just compare to Seans stats as well.
    Hard to find the elevation round here and i climbed the 2nd highest point in hampshire today…

Year-to-Date Sean dobo
    Distance 343.2km 256.8km
    Time 32hr 21m 25hr 17m
    Elev Gain 7,962m 3,919m
    Runs 28 34

seanoc
    Free Member

I live just north from Cardiff. It’s actually quite hard to miss a hill around here. Done 400m efforts last night on the flattest loop I can string together and still hit well over 100ft (doesn’t sound much but I’m looking for dead flat).

New to Strava and really enjoying it (I’m in my second run of the latest incarnation of Nike Free 3.0’s which I, also, really enjoy).

djglover
    Free Member

Pah, did about 900 ft tonight, strava reports… 41ft.

seanoc
    Free Member

Done.

dobo
    Free Member

well done sean, i’m 30% done. took it easy this week as have an anoying calf ache. Going to give it a go tomorrow, but think its all these hills im not used to 😉

djglover its probably your gps device not strava, using a phone by any chance? my garmin has been excellent so far, strava tends to add the odd mile or 2 from what my garmin says, my phone does odd things though..

dobo
    Free Member

balls to my calf ache, put in some elevation at qecp 42% done now

seanoc
    Free Member

244% including a taper week, a hill marathon, and a recovery week. I’m not convinced that the elevation is particularly accurate but there you go.

Looking forward to the next challenge; although there are some lunatics on there.

dobo
    Free Member

well i failed, only managed 58% which is a bit anoying as im sure i could have done it if i didnt have a calf injury and had to taper down for my obstacle race, which was great fun btw.
    bet the next run challenge will be crazy hard

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Strava – Strive for the summit run challenge’ is closed to new replies.