Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Strava creating segments problem
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

Anyone else have problems creating accurate segments on Strava. I set my start and endpoints as accurately as possible on the map using the sliders, all looks fine, and when you save the segement its completely budged it all. i.e if you set the segment on a known climb from top to bottom then save it, you find on the saved segment that it starts half way up the climb and finishes half a mile after the climb finishes and goes downhill ! Confused. Is it something I am doing or just some crapness from the strava system ?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s you. I’ve only created a couple, but both were perfect.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this happening in the last week or so, have managed to set up segments in the past fine so presumably a fault at their end.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

maybe so, but my mate tried to log the same climb using data from a different day, different GPS system etc and he had the same problem.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Yes I have created a few previously and all are bang on, but struggling over the last few days.

alfabus
    Free Member

I tried to create 2 this morning, and they both did this – it shifted the whole segment along by about 200 metres.

I gave up and deleted them. Hopefully they’ll sort it.

Didn’t have the problem when I created some last week.

Dave

downthemiddle
    Free Member

It’s you. I’ve only created a couple, but both were perfect.

Phew so not me then

unklebuck
    Free Member

I’ve got a support ticket raised for something very much like this problem right now. No reply so far though.

I created a segment, and it wasn’t being logged every time I rode it. The GPS track I used to create it wasn’t very accurate compared to the Google aerial photograph so I deleted it and set it up again using another ride log. It now appears on the Segment Explorer about a mile further along the ride from where I saved it. No matter how I move it around, the start point, end point and length are all screwed up.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

Hopefully they’ll sort it out, I am using the free version, so not really in a position to get on high horse about it all, however I’d be naffed off if I was paying good money for the Premium paid version

shortcut

Yeah me to. Got bored and gave up – so deleted it and will try again next week if I remember!

So – not just you!

STATO
    Free Member

Strava uses data points from your saved rides, as these are typically not constant (garmins only create these points when they feel youve changed direction or speed significantly in order to save memory space) it is possible short ‘segments’ are being matched to the nearest data point in your ride log. Sounds more like a strava glitch tbh tho.

hugor
    Free Member

Not tried creating segments myself but rather than doing a whole ride and creating a segment from a part of it perhaps try going to your start point and starting the timer then stopping it at your preferred end point. Sure your time wont be great for that run but it might make the start and end points more accurate.

alfabus
    Free Member

Strava uses data points from your saved rides, as these are typically not constant (garmins only create these points when they feel youve changed direction or speed significantly in order to save memory space) it is possible short ‘segments’ are being matched to the nearest data point in your ride log.

That’s not what it was doing for me.. it is showing it on screen as exactly what I set, then once you confirm and save the segment, it moves both start and finish on by a constant amount (about 200m) – in the case of the one I was trying this morning, that meant it moved it past the end past the bottom of the downhill segment, round a corner and up a wiggly climb; definitely NOT to the next point it had a reading.

Dave

meehaja
    Free Member

yeah, I had to create the same segment a few times to get it right (from traffic lights to traffic lights up hill), they’ve done a few updates over the last few days though, so maybe that’ll hep?

alfabus
    Free Member

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21336171-segment-location-changes-after-saving-are-privacy-settings-the-problem

Looks like there are lots of people having the same problem. Appears that its a bug to do with the privacy settings around your house (it’s shifting the route by the amount you are hiding around your postcode)

Dave

jwmlee
    Free Member

I must be completely dim because I couldn’t get it to work on my android at all. Found the satellite but didn’t start to track.

Can someone give me a dummies guide to running it on Android?

allthepies
    Free Member

Exact problem for me also. Have privacy settings enabled, attempted to create a segment for an imported ride and all is well during segment creation. However, view the completed segment and it’s all gone to cock with the start/end points.

atlaz
    Free Member

They did a big update on Monday or Tuesday so it’s probably related to that

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Thanks for the link alfabus. Been having the same problems for about 10 days but I haven’t changed my privacy settings – have got privacy settings enabled though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Is there any way to create a segment from a lap?

A number of my sessions are done on laps and I use the lap function on my Garmin to record times etc, the data is copied over to Strava OK.

It would be neat to simply take a lap and say “make segment”, but I cannot find this option.

allthepies
    Free Member

You can make a segment from any part of a recorded track so just move the start/end points to start/end of a lap. Bosh.

allthepies
    Free Member

Segment creation now working OK for me, looks like it’s fixed.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

You can make a segment from any part of a recorded track so just move the start/end points to start/end of a lap. Bosh.

Thanks, it’s just that the laps do not show up on the overall map with start and stop points, and the track for the individual lap does not have a make segment option.

Small issue in an otherwise good service

alfabus
    Free Member

Segment creation now working OK for me, looks like it’s fixed.

cool.. seems to be partly fixed. I can get a segment to be correct now, but if I click edit, it moves it and I have to move it back to save it.

Better, but not quite there yet!

Dave

scaredypants

Swedish Chef, I’ve created segments from a ride that involved 3 laps of a route (2 one way, 1 reverse) – worked fine
    This was a bit ago though so maybe the update has buggered it somehow

WiretownMan
    Free Member

Your start and end points for segments must be GPS recorded points. You can’t set the start/end to any position on the map. If you have your GPS set to 5 or 10 seconds then setting an exact start/end will be difficult.

mandog

This is still a problem for me and it’s related to the privacy settings.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Strava creating segments problem’ is closed to new replies.