Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Strava 1 Friend 0
  • fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

So this is what happened when my mate was going for KOM on the B-Line at Llandegla, Enjoy:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7fSBeAS5M&lr=1&feature=results_video[/video]

Crash damage was a broken steerer, with about half an inch sticking above the headset, just enough to clamp the stem and gingerly ride back on the fire roads.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

BROKEN STEERER! Yikes! Carbon? Steel? Alloy? Whatever, that is a scary thought to ponder however you ride…

shortcut

That was pretty fast until he hit the deck. Lots of speed! 😉

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Was an 1 1/2 steerer aswell on a 5 month old cannondale Jekyll 2.

higgo
    Free Member

Takes me back….

On the day I learnt to ride without stabilisers my dad bought me a new (to me) bike out of the back of the evening paper. Next day I’m hooning down the road and the steerer snaps.

And so began the next 40 years.

EccentricEllis

Uh oh spaghetti ooo’s

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Did it snap “JRA”, or on impact?

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Snapped on impact.

gingerss
    Free Member

Lovely riding up to that point. Shame he didn’t quite nail it.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Given that head cams always flatten out the track, are those drops as big as they seem? Because they still seem fairly big!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

At least it was on impact. If it was JRA I’d be scared to ride.

SaxonRider

But how did your friend fare?

ssjeff
    Free Member

Think he needs to chase these segments;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry’s_Chocolate_Orange

Actually if he’s snapped his forks may need lay off them 😉

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Nasty crash! Was it me or did he overshoot that one before the jump where he crashed and then just lost it? Unlucky either way.

He must have been going some if he thought he was in for a chance at KOM for B line. I found out last week that my mate just set the KOM for B Line. My mind was blown 😆

jonathan
    Free Member

Glad it was the bike crash damaged and not him! (I hope?)

EccentricEllis

Halcrow FTW. OOSH

dashed
    Free Member

getonyourbike – Member
    Nasty crash! Was it me or did he overshoot that one before the jump where he crashed and then just lost it? Unlucky either way.

That’s what it looked like to me – overshot the one before, lost it on the next one bouncey out of control 😥 😥 Nice riding up until that point though…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To redress the balance, it’s entirely possible to cock it up without Strava

[video]http://player.vimeo.com/video/32468707[/video]

cheese@4p

Strava is gonna have a lot to answer for before long. Already accused of sraightening trails, endangering cheeky and now snapping steerers. Seriously people are going to get badly broken.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon it’s causing global warming and poverty, it’s as bad as Crack and Crystal Meth smoked as a suppository…..

uphillcursing
    Free Member

It has also come between me and stopping to look at the national history. I have also started to get a bit fitter and loose some weight too.
    I will never get a KOM I should image but it is a bit of a motivator

tracknicko
    Free Member

not strava’s fault, that’s down to ‘single’ jumps.

he crashed as he was going too fast for a jump without a real landing. you have to squash those things to flat like you wouldn’t believe.

Nick

There’s nothing wrong with Strava, it’s a great tool, and I think if used with courtesy really adds to the challenge of riding places like Llandegla, it’s idiots forgetting that they are not on a marshalled downhill track or closed road that is the issue, i.e. “STRAVA RUN!!!!” cocks.

I reckon having closed groups on there would be a good idea, then friends can compete on sections without inviting the world to join in, we’ve got a looming problem locally with pissed off non-riders moaning about people riding “illegally”, god help us if they ever discover Strava, so much so that my rides are now private.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was also Man enough to admit my crash was due to rider error not blaming anything else

_tom_
    Free Member

Given that head cams always flatten out the track, are those drops as big as they seem?

No.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Yeah hes fine just a bit bruised. Btw being the great friend that i am if it gets to 1000 views ill post his other crash video just for your pleasure 😈

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Crashed myself just like that at Mabie 5 weeks ago. Now have three metal plates holding each wrist together. At least they are Titanium but after 4 ops and 10 hours of surgery it will be a while before I’m off road again.

He was lucky.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Just 4 more views… You know you want to see it 😀

bigyim
    Free Member

im waiting for the THIS IS STRAVAAAAAA!! 300 pictures

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice crash, glad he’s not really hurt.

But anyone going after KOM on that section would have to be seriously quick

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

As promised:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtqsSEmqHio[/video]

EDIT: Play with sound for full effect 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

OOff. He looked mostly solid despite some earlier wiggling, ouchie.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Strava 1 Friend 0’ is closed to new replies.