Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Strap on boot bike racks.
  • dibboid
    Free Member

I’m puzzled. I was driving North up the M6 earlier about 2 miles south of Lancaster services and there was 2 bikes (one was a giant) strapped together including bike rack.

Now the driver clearly doesn’t realise the bikes aren’t there as he/she wasn’t parked up on the hard shoulder walking back for them. But a motorist in a passat estate with 2 mtbs on his roof pulled over presuming to clear the mess to the hard shoulder and look after them until the owner turns up.

Luckily it was about 7 am and a quiet stretch of motorway otherwise the situation could of been very different.

The thing that puzzles me is that expensive bikes held in place with a crap method of restraint. If your car is too small then get the roof or towbar option or be safe and put it inside if size of car allows. But as for the boot track option why not save weight and drag by removing the wheels instead of being lazy and risking other people’s lives and property by cutting corners.

Maybe even pulling over every so often checking the security of the bike and rack.

Rant over. If you’re the passat driver or the owner of the bikes maybe you could add to this. 🙂

bruneep

very poor rant 0/10

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ve used these racks. All wheels off, anally secure, and I reference where bits (mechs/bars) are in my mirrors so I know if they shift even a little bit. If they do, slow the fudge down and stop at next opportnity (only ever happened once, was fine but, better safe etc).

Its bike on top of car that scares the crap out of me, see so many car with bikes at 30+ degrees on the motorways.

iain1775
    Free Member

Bugger is that where they went, got all the way to whinlatter, and annoyingly paid for a car park ticket before I noticed
    Talk about a waste of £7, couldn’t even ride !

dibboid
    Free Member

Bugger is that where they went, got all the way to whinlatter, and annoyingly paid for a car park ticket before I noticedTalk about a waste of £7, couldn’t even ride !

Someone probably did that tbh. Joking aside. 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Those type of boot racks are okay as long as they are secured correctly and the instructions are fully read unfortunately you don’t who has fitted them so i never follow them that closely if im in the car.

Wookster

I’ve got a boot mounted rack, short of mechanical failure of the rack, or bike where it’s held it’s not budging. It’s used when I can’t get the bike in the boot….( I’m happy to leave the kids but mrs Wookster less so! 8) )

Tow racks are great but the £300 to fit the bar plus the rack put me off this time round.

dibboid
    Free Member

Tow racks are great but the £300 to fit the bar plus the rack put me off this time round.

sure but when you’re carrying £xxxx worth of bikes then surely a £300 investment is small. You wouldn’t think twice if it was hubs for your bike. I do plan to get a towbar mounted rack and I do have a boot mounted one which I only used a couple of times about 14 yrs ago and didn’t like how unsecure it was. Plus what would the fine be if caught loosing your bikes and pen points. Mine goes in the car until I can afford the towbar option as I don’t fancy the risk.

I believe the cops can charge you with indecent exposure and lewd conduct for having a rack off in the street. 😀 igmc!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Strap on boot bike racks.’ is closed to new replies.