Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Strange spider
  • haddock
    Free Member

Spider pic

Was quite alamed to find this fellow at the front door when I got in this morning. I blamed a bunch of Bannanas from Aldi, but have sinse found he's a native 'Comb spider' and not dangerous. Anyone else come across interesting 8 legged 'false alarms'?

He's in the neighbours hedge now.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I used to work for Tesco, in the produce section. We found some big spiders amongst the bananas from time to time. All dead fortunately.

bumley
    Free Member

We had a large bird eating type spider in a bike box once, we thought it would be funny to post it to the bosses wife, she was none to impressed 😳

roper
    Free Member

The comb spider is very beautiful. Looks a bit like an Orb spider, not sure if they are related but wonderfully patterned and coloured.

I have been looking for animals this morning and found a few Funnel web webs, though it was a bit late in the day for them today so left them alone.

Here are a couple of photos of a female I enticed out a few weeks ago though.

racefaceec90

jeeze roper,you got a death wish!!! 😯

woody2000

Technically, bananas come in hands, not bunches 🙂

Good spider pics 🙂

Could be worse, could have been the UKs biggest spider

Cardinal spider

This beastie belongs to the same family as the common house spider but is up to 6 inches across!

brakes
    Free Member

my shed is full of spiders including funnel webs by the look of it
    I can't spend longer than a few seconds in there without getting all itchy and closing the door again

:scratch scratch:

RoterStern
    Free Member

This less than little bad boy inhabited the back of the car port in a neighbouring house in Taiwan. The spider itself was about as big as my head but the web was just massive and the spider would sit there in the middle of it looking really menacing. They are quite harmless so I believe but I never quite got the courage to find out!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I saw one of these once when gardening , i shit myself thinking it was a Black Widow

CountZero

Thank the Lord we only have a couple of native spiders that bite, and none at all that are really deadly. I'm glad about that!
    No Brown Recluse Spiders, Violin Backs, Black Widows, Red Backs, Funnel Webs…
    No Box Jellyfish, Stone Fish, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados and lots of other dangerous things either. I like living in a boring country.

samuri
    Free Member

big spiders are ace. Even our pets think so. Both cats and the dog are *very* keen to catch the big ones that run across our carpet. Munch, munch, munch. Yes, you may have venom but at the end of the day, carnivorous mammals will win every time.

racefaceec90

i think your cats and dogs might scarper though,if they saw a bird eating spider!!! 😉

Toddboy
    Free Member

We've had a few Huntsman spiders around the house, particularly during the rainy season. Also had a few Redbacks around the house, and one on my car. Usually see a few Golden Orb Web spiders in the garden.

roper
    Free Member

I should have said that the photos I posted are of the Andalusian Funnel Web(Macrothele Calpeiana) not the one from Oz. It's bite won't kill you just sting a bit.
    It has been suggested that due to climate changes it may start appearing in the UK but I guess we will have to see.

haddock
    Free Member

Roper – that thing looks mean, i'd give it a wide berth! – on the UK safari website there's tons of dangerous looking spiders – all nothing to worry about, but mean looking non the less.
    I like to keep a regular spider in each room, i think theregood for killing mites, fleas and such like. The comb spider got evicted though!

Tim
    Free Member

We had two funnel webs in our garden – i say had as one appears to have eaten the other one!

chvck
    Free Member

I like living in a boring country.

Me too, no bot flies or the like….they have to be one of my most feared insects!

Pook

donald
    Free Member

My brother had a Black Widow Spider in his car last week 😯

Hadge
    Free Member

This is a spider! This is my Chilean Rose and she's never been in the garden either lol. Ain't she lovely 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never quite got the idea of keeping tarantulas, they don't do very much, dont appear to be friendly or return any affection and seem to be simply there for the shock factor or just to study? Even snakes and lizards have identifiable personalities, but spiders?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Can of hair spray + lighter.

Or a size 9

Hadge
    Free Member

Purely kept as a challenge. Kept all types of fish, marine, reef tanks etc etc and now have spiders and a snake. Keeps some people you don't want to visit away from your house too 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

neilsonwheels – Member

Can of hair spray + lighter.

Or a size 9

Ooooh what a manly man (with girly sized shoes) 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Roper where did you take that pic? Not in England I hope.

(Phobia with spiders-eek!)

roper
    Free Member

zaskar
    The Andalusian Funnel Web in in southern Spain and Gibraltar. So not in the UK yet 8O.
    They are quite aggressive though and stand on their back legs when angry. They hiss too when really peeved but they are fine as long as you are gentle. They look quite amazing too close up.
    We also have black widows here but I've not found one yet.

Hadge that Chilean Rose is beautiful. How easy are they to look after, lights and food, general care? I have a spare fish tank.

Hadge
    Free Member

Roper – they are very easy and easily the best anyone wanting a Tarantula. If you get a female they only need somewhere to hide so a small tank is fine where as males like to wander so require a bit more space. You can even get away with no heat-mat if your house is warm enough but I would recommend checking one of the many forums on the net for advice etc. They are amazing creatures and Julie is now quite big. I don't trust her as when I first had her she "attacked" my finger, didn't bite me but I thought best leave her to be lol. Feeding is easy – she takes crickets given once or twice a week. They do need water but you can get some special gel that you put in a bottle top and she drink from that. No lighting is required as they do prefer the dark. Honestly, they are relatively easy to keep.

roper
    Free Member

Thanks Hadge, I have a two foot aquarium which should be fine.
    Looks like I need to do some research but my wife is on side 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

you want to come to Aviemore. got wolf spiders close by so we have, and they POUNCE! none of this web malarky going on lol.

Hal
    Free Member

Funnel web spiders bites kill you real quick, Oh I think ive just had a bite from a Fun 😯

Toddboy
    Free Member

I've seen a dead funnel web in a jar at the vets. It looked just like a pair of fangs on legs! 😕

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Get over to Youtube and check out a Camel Spider….awwww, all cute 'n'cuddly

eek!

CountZero

The fact a Camel Spider isn't technically a spider, and is harmless isn't terribly reassuring when you see the size of the damn thing, and those fangs as well! *shudder*
    Yes, I am somewhat arachnophobic, mainly as a result of being bitten by a garden Orb Spider when I was young. Rather put me off spiders.

haddock
    Free Member

not sure about the way that yankie soldier tied the spider up and gave it a prod with his knife – obviously no iraq's around that evening!

Roper – I cant believe you called that thing Julie!! Does it actually know you? is she friendly with you but wary of strangers, like most pets?

roper
    Free Member

That rosea is not mine it belongs to Hadge

I have however just bought a Chile Gold Burst(Paraphysa parvula.

I'm thinking the names "Princes Fa Nay Nay" or "Juanita", though they've not been confirmed yet. 🙂

haddock
    Free Member

Sorry Roper – that was my poor thread memory.

Thats one hairy beast you've got yourself! So will this thing tame up then or what?? 😕

roper
    Free Member

She should be quite docile and easy going but every spider is a little different. If they get angry tarantulas will either kick their hairs or bite, this one might do this but might not. I suppose time will tell. 😯

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Strange spider’ is closed to new replies.