Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Strange or interesting jobs…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

In a previous life I was a chesemaker, not the most common job in the world and to me very interesting.

What jobs have you had that might be considered strange or interesting?

Fluffer accepted with supporting evidence. 😆

dmiller
    Free Member

Worked for the police filing in the ib and case registry when i was at uni. Thats crime scene pictures and witness statements. Saw and read things i still cant get out my head! Much respect to the police after that. Much respect.

ton

i was a coalman………….now a pretty redundant job 😥

dmiller
    Free Member

My granda was a coal miner! Now thats a job for real men! 89 and he can still take me in an arm wrestle! 🙂

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Chap where I used to work in London previously had amongst his other duties the job of Dog Destroyer at Battersea Dogs Home

Although i'm not keen on Dogs, wouldn't fancy doing that very much

nbt

ton – Member

i was a coalman………….now a pretty redundant job

My dad was a coalman but the business collapsed in the 1980s. He told me that when he started (1960s, taking over the route from his father) he visited one estate every wednesday – first trip just after lunch with a wagon full on his own, back to the depot to fill up, pick up his two brothers from school and two more full loads with them helping deliver

I did a few days with him one summer in the late 80s, by that time he was visiting one house on that estate every third week, all the other houses had had gas installed. Shame, there's nothing quite like a coal fire on a cold stormy night

LeeW

I was a crash investigation officer for the MoD for around a year, fortunately I never worked on any fatal crashes. Then I worked for QinetiQ running a standards laboratory.

Talkemada
    Free Member

i was a coalman………….now a pretty redundant job

Ah, that's scientific progress for you, eh? 😉

tankslapper
    Free Member

Trained as a gynaecologist but gave up on it…..I can still wallpaper the hallway via the letter box tho'! I then did a stint as a rear gunner on a bread van in West Belfast in the 80's but have now retrained and am fully qualified to clean the bird sh1t out of cuckoo clocks.

Kuco

LeeW I work for the Environment Agency and we were asked to go and clear a pathway through the trees the day after this accident accident 🙁. Had to get within 5 feet of the remains of the helicopter and that was bad enough, glad I didn't have to get the bodies out.

KT1973
    Free Member

I had a job at the helium factory but I gave it up.
    I wasn't being talked to in that tone of voice

Pigface
    Free Member

Used to work for Television X

Gravy
    Free Member

Rubber Duck driver for plant hire company.

Kuco

Why do they call them rubber duck?

tazzymtb

As well as the more normal, mundane stuff I've also done, all in the same job:

investigated fume incidents in jet aircraft where the cabin fills with smoke to determine the cause, health risks and how to fix it.

Worked on novel technologies for the alternative treatment of clinical waste so it can be recycled rather than incinerated or landfilled using bacteria from thermal springs.

worked in all sorts of secret facilities where they make "interesting" things

seen all sorts of joys in operating theatres investigating secondary infection rates from orthopedic implant surgery

from all this I've come to conclusion, I'll never fly again, humans are filthy f**kers, war is bad and I'd rather be operated on the car park than in majority of operating theatres in the UK 😀

sockpuppet

Blessed are the Cheesemakers…

lagerfanny
    Free Member

In the past I have done Tv, hi-fi & video repairs, welder, press setter, hydraulic & diesel tank tester, panel wirer, rebuilt vertical form, fill & seal machines, general factory maintenence, NVQ assessor & internal verifier………………..
    however which mostly now have absolutely no bloody use in this country!

donsimon
    Free Member

I can still wallpaper the hallway via the letter box tho'!

Lol.

Chap where I used to work in London previously had amongst his other duties the job of Dog Destroyer at Battersea Dogs Home

I'm trying to head my head around the interview questions…

So….What attracted you to the position of killer?

sockpuppet – Member

Blessed are the Cheesemakers…

I thank you…

Jetboydc
    Free Member

i used to deliver incontinence pants ans sani towels to the old folk of lambeth. mon – weds were deliveries, thurs – fri pick up used ones. never did like the end of the week. and we used to collect commodes from dead peoples houses too. and all the sharp boxes from the dop in centres. the vans were sealed up like a vault and had big 'clinical waste' stickers all over them. never got a parking ticket.

lovell
    Free Member

Brewed real ale for a bit, had a bike shop, panel beater, now sell lycra shorts for a living (spandex salesman)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Worked in the QC laboratory of the brewery that brews all that Magners you drink.

stugus
    Free Member

I'm an analyst working down here at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/underground_city/

pretty interesting at times but getting a bit tired of it now. Working under ground with no daylight is a bit unpleasent after 7 months.

bassspine
    Free Member

I used to be a blacksmith. It was a dirty noisy dangerous job where you got to play with fire.

I also worked doing demolition for about 6 months, demolishing a pig farm with no vehicle access, so it was me, a hilti drill and a big hammer. It was dirty noisy dangerous and the kind of job where you look forward to monday morning.

samuri
    Free Member

Rat catcher. Good fun and if you're good at it your reputation gets around really quickly. You learn a lot about rats doing a job like that, which stands you in good stead for life I've found.

hug
    Free Member

I once worked as a chicken catcher for Buxted in the early 80's.the hottest filthiest job you could ever find yourself doing,
    on the brighter side,my nephew was the vision mixer for Babestation a few years back.

johni
    Free Member

Ski instructor at a dry ski slope for 5 years when I was a student. All my mates worked in factory jobs, I skied and got paid double what they did. Winner! 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

Dag treader. :0(

Gravy
    Free Member

Kuco, there called "Rubber Duck" cos these machines are'nt on tracks thier on 8 tyres, which makes the m/c a little more unstable as the bulk of the weight is higher up cos of clearences. This can cause the m/c to bob/rock about a bit on occasions.

Kuco

Gravey i've got a CPCS in 360 and normally use a JCB210L all our machines at work have long reach and know how well they can rock even on tracks. I think nodding donkey's would be more appropriate 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I brewed beer for a while. As such, on my CV, under "Organisational Skills", I have (through previous experience), the ability to organise a pissup in a brewery.

It wasn't hard!
    😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

Stills photographer for TV, film and advert production companies for a while.
    Most famous: 'Liz Taylor, a 3/4 shot, just prior to a formal dinner at the Mansion House. Millions of $$ worth of diamonds (Forbes Estate) around her neck and pink fluffy slippers 'round her toes. A little strange.

Afterwards all the Forbes Staff could talk about were the dress & the diamonds. All the security had clocked were her still impressive large chest!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I pay opera singers.

crezzy

Been a shepherd and herdsman most of my life ,did drill water wells for a bit found that very intresting .just finished working in a quarry on a crusher and am starting as an agricultral machinery sales man in a week ,looking forward to it plenty of comission and all thoughs farmers wifes/daughters to woo ,lol

Bregante

All these are in a similar vein, but oddly none of them have any connection to what I do now!

1. Theatre lighting/sound technician (1989 – 1991)
    2. TV Stage Manager (1991)
    3. BBC radio outside broadcast engineer (1991 – 1994)

andrewh
    Free Member

I've had crap jobs.

However, my former housemate is a beer tester. Would quite happily swap my desk-job for his.

donsimon
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member

I pay opera singers.

For what?
    😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Wow, lot's of interesting stuff here. 😀

pinches
    Free Member

former house mate worked at a confectioners, job title "fudge packer"

orangina
    Free Member

Plastic Membrane Welder on a goldmine just outside Coolgardie, Western Australia. Because of the process that was used I spent most days patching holes in 3mm plastic whilst paddling around in a arsenic solution under the Australian sun…. Held the first gold bar out of the plant and that was a party …..

Followed by lining an industrial crusher on the same plant, good pay but dull…. Kalgoorlie is crazy on pay day….

Followed by plastic canoe repair for 6 months up the track in Katherine NT. A brilliant brilliant job in a stunning location. Great memories….

ton

i was a shotblaster too for a while.
    shotblasting 100 tonne railway waggons, that were british built………..that is a rarity. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Strange or interesting jobs…’ is closed to new replies.