Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Storing your photographic equipment
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I realise I’ve got kit lying all over the place and need to keep it all together. what are you using? At first I was looking at a big cheap bag from amazon or ebay, but was wondering what other people are using. I don’t need to be able to take it with me, purely for keeping in the house.

cp

Vegetable cardboard box from Aldi

pacemaker
    Free Member

I have a few ways, a pelican hard case, a Lowepro vertex 300 and a stealth reporter 550.

The only problem with the bags is they will hold my bodies but i cannot get the lenses in for traveling ,so i tend to put a few big lenses in the peli case rather than using the canon metal boxes they came with.

You can’t go far wrong with Lowepro, Kata ,tamrac or crumpler bags.

maccruiskeen

My girlfriend is a documentary film maker. All up with HD camera, lenses and sound equipment she’ll have about £10k of kit. On location she keeps it in a battered old carrier bag (she used the same one for a whole years worth of location filming in glasgow). That makes her sound very care-free but she’s incredibly precious about her kit – I’m genuinely not allowed to even touch it.

One glasgow resident who’d seen her around the neighbourhood cradling this bag for months was genuinely surprised it had her camera in it “Oh is thats whats in there – I thought it was a baby” 🙂

footflaps

Mine is in a 2nd hand gun safe bolted to the wall. The lenses and bodies sit on shelves within it. Even though it’s all insured, I’m not happy leaving it in just a cupboard as it’s so easy to carry off once you’ve broken into the house.

footflaps

I was storing it all in a large Tamrac rucksack in a cupboard and then realised I’d made it really easy for someone to walk off with all my kit in one go……

YoKaiser
    Free Member

😆 Quite a diversive range of solutions

maccruiskeen

I was storing it all in a large Tamrac rucksack in a cupboard and then realised I’d made it really easy for someone to walk off with all my kit in one go……

worth looking at your household insurance in relation to that- I had a policy like once where if anything was in a bag they’d only pay out 25% on the value of the bags contents

footflaps

worth looking at your household insurance in relation to that- I had a policy like once where if anything was in a bag they’d only pay out 25% on the value of the bags contents

Bit of a silly clause as it’s impossible to prove it was in a bag once it’s been stolen!

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Lowe Computrekker AW 200 bought from ebay for £40 I think, like this:

It (just about) takes the body, 7 lenses, the flash and the battery grip. It’s a squeeze though. I made a deal with myself not to get any more than would go in that bag.

phiiiiil

Pity it’s not just a few mm thicker so it can fit the lens caps on too… 🙂

butcher

Another box here.

Pop it in. Take it out. Pop it in. Take it out. Etc. I find it very effective.

The fiddly bits can be a pain, like remotes, cards, stuff like that. They sink to the bottom then you have to pull everything out to find them.

I was thinking about getting a big block of foam, and making compartments (hardcase style) for some added security and general tidiness.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pity it’s not just a few mm thicker so it can fit the lens caps on too…

Well my nice compact lightweight Olympus kit fits in there fine 🙂

I do find it convenient, and I can also take it all on holiday with me, I just use that as a carry on bag. There’s enough room in the front to stick passports, tickets, kindle, bag of sweets etc.

I was thinking about getting a big block of foam, and making compartments (hardcase style) for some added security and general tidiness.

This is a good idea. Afaik Maplin sell the aluminium flight cases and the particular foam you need to make nice cutouts. Very classy 🙂

EDIT Also way the hell cheaper than the likes of Lowe Pro, £35 including foam.

plumber
    Free Member

Lowepro slingshot bag but I don’t have that much stuff really

maccruiskeen

Bit of a silly clause as it’s impossible to prove it was in a bag once it’s been stolen!

depends on whether your first reaction after a break in is to call the cops and report it or start thumbing through your insurance small print looking for things you need to be careful not to say. Looooong time since I’ve had a clause like that in a policy though. I first noticed it in and Endsleigh policy, quite crafty small print in a policy for students when their customers often have all of their belongings in bags.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Storing your photographic equipment’ is closed to new replies.