Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • So, Fatty Bikes…
  • druidh
    Free Member

I like Laggan – on the right bike.

Maybe I was just running tyre pressures too high, but the undamped rebound seemed to work against me on rockier sections where I’d normally want to be carrying a bit of speed. It was great on the faster, flowing forest sections, rubbish on the rocky pavements.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need a full suss fat bike 😎 seriously tho I found that annoying too.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

You need a full suss fat bike

Like this?

I am thinking I really want a fatbike, I have no earthly reason for this I just find them unbelievably appealing. I’d love a go.

I’m wondering what the on-one one will be like.

steveoath
    Free Member

@garrrrpirate

Here’s hoping it will be ace. Its on my want list for Chrimbo!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can confirm full suspension fat bikes are where it’s at.

juan
    Free Member

Laggan Wolftrax (not fun – too rocky)

Are we talking about the same laggan? The one you took me too for Jo’s 30th?
    I would say it’s rocky but not THAT rocky.

Woody
    Free Member

Hmmmm liking that Santa Cruz pic above……..ponders if I can get a proper fat wheel/tyre in the ML8 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

Woody-no, but a bloke on mtbr did a conversion.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You can get a fat front wheel into Maverick forks easy enough…

Just need to space them out to be 29er…

Tim @ Sideways has done this….

singlespeedstu

cynic-al – Member

I can confirm full suspension fat bikes are where it’s at.

And how the **** would you know that.
    The one you built exploded within moments of you even siting on it. 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

Haterz goan hate…

singlespeedstu

Hatterz goan hat..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quiet night, stu?

singlespeedstu

Just got back from the pub kind of night Al. 😆

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Nobody has mentioned the real reason Coastkid has a Pug, cider storage. He gets about six pints in each tyre, hence the reason he had to get the Moonbuggy, to get up to 15 pints total. You have to be pretty skillful to keep it in a straight line after all that as well, that’s why he likes the beach so much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pissed by 9pm…you some kind of athlete?

singlespeedstu

Pissed by 9pm…you some kind of athlete?

Yes I’m a full on athlete.
    I finished my training session at about oneish then retreated to the boozer to make sure i rehydrated on adult recovery fluid. 😳

Fat tyres are AWSUM for riding back from the pub with.

Red light, no problem just stop pedlin and sit there. No need for any track stand skillz the fatness will allow you to balance even when pished. 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – Member
    Nobody has mentioned the real reason Coastkid has a Pug, cider storage. He gets about six pints in each tyre, hence the reason he had to get the Moonbuggy, to get up to 15 pints total. You have to be pretty skillful to keep it in a straight line after all that as well, that’s why he likes the beach so much.

Damn, been rumbled… :mrgreen:

tomhoward

I’d quite like a go on one, just to see what they are like for myself, but no shops near me (that I know of) have any in to look at, let alone demo! And +1 on the on one looking good!

If anyone has one and is in Harrogate and wants to convert me to fat bikes…

coastkid
    Free Member

FFF :mrgreen:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_pAVNwfT8&feature=relmfu[/video]

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

rumbled…

nah, that’s just the sound a Pug makes on dry woodsy singletrack 😀

druidh
    Free Member

CharlieTheBikeMonger and/or Ison Distribution should bring their test fleet over to Hebden Bridge for the UK Premiere of “Reveal the Path”……

Reveal the Path. Premiere and film tour

coastkid
    Free Member

That should be the best film to go see since Klunkerz 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going down to Hebden for the premiere. If not, there’s a showing in Newcastle the following week. I could take a van-load…..

coastkid
    Free Member

Roadtrip! 😀

tomhoward

I’ll try and pop over then!

zippykona

If I lived near sand I would love one. Can we have a vid of one clearing something that a semi skimmed bike fails on.
    Riding up a bloody big sand dune would do fine.

coastkid
    Free Member

Heres an SD Tachyon camera film riding along dune tops, a bit long but around 5mins 15 secs riding real soft stuff in places…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSfKHnX4Cw&list=UUSv198UD3Wy-dBsg3K40IvQ&index=37&feature=plcp[/video]

And HD film…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwBGhoPguHY&list=UUSv198UD3Wy-dBsg3K40IvQ&index=15&feature=plcp[/video]

bruneep

Is that the route you were telling me about? ^

coastkid
    Free Member

2nd film is below the Nature Reserve Loop 🙂

Here is some of your suggested loop 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCl7Agp1q8s[/video]

speshspenner
    Free Member

[/u]Coastkid…..where are you riding? Can I see Bass rock in the background?. Looks like a stunning place. What where the concrete pillars for?….left overs from WW2 or costal defences?.

coastkid
    Free Member

These films are in East Lothain, 30 mins drive east of Edinburgh 🙂

The blocks were indeed part of the “Coastal Crust” Anti Invasion defence network constructed in 1940 when Ze Germans wanted to come here on their summer holiday and stay… for good :mrgreen:

Anti tank blocks, minefields, Machine Gun Pill Boxes, and very nasty things called “Flame Fourgase” traps were all along the coastline.
    Anti glider poles were across flat sand beaches, constructed in their thousands on the east coast of the UK…

A 2nd strenghening of defences were added in 1942, German POWs were used as well as the REME and Irish navies 🙂

POW under armed gaurd on the Gullane road…

Aberlady Bay 1940 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Aberlady Bay 1940

Aberlady Bay 1940 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Some blocks have dates on them…

Aberlady Reserve, WW2 Coastal Defence Anti Tank Blocks 1940 21st August by coastkid71, on Flickr

There is loads of WW2 stuff to see around here, inc remains of Airfields and a couple of ROC Cold War Bunkers 😉

Loads of live fire ranges where 20mm spent Hispano shells can be found with the metal detector. luckily all fired

I have this Nazi spoon that my dad found out by those blocks at Aberlady 😯

WW2 German spoon 1 by coastkid71, on Flickr

WW2 German spoon 2 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Schweiz
    Free Member

How are fat bikes in snow? Would they be a significant advantage on winter walking trails (includind some substantial climbs) with well compacted snow? What about 10 or 15 cm of uncompacted snow? What do I need to look out for in a fat bike to ride these sort of conditions?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sooo…

Sorry if this has been answered on other fat bike threads. I’m not dissin’ dem or anything; I’m unlikely to ever have one and hey, ride WTF you like. Given that we’ve always been told to save weight on wheels first, because of rolling resistance, I’m thinking those tyres look mighty heavy. Does this not make a difference to the ride?

singlespeedstu

Given that we’ve always been told to save weight on wheels first, because of rolling resistance

Wheel weight and rolling resistance are completeley seperate things.

Does this not make a difference to the ride?

Yes it makes a big difference but you’re missing the point of what these bikes are about.

It’s not a speed thing.
    It’s a smile thing. 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

Given that we’ve always been told to save weight on wheels first, because of rolling resistance

I think you probably mean rotational momentum, its uses more energy to change the speed at which the wheels rotate (accelerate and brake)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wheel weight and rolling resistance are completeley seperate things.

Ok.

It’s not a speed thing.
    It’s a smile thing.

Ah right, fair enough. Just asking.

druidh
    Free Member

DD – as you would expect, the heavy tyre/rim combo does take a bit of man-handling. However, we are already seeing much lighter options in rims (single-walled, driller) and tyres (e.g. Husker Dus) that are making significant inroads into weight. On the up-side, you have a lot of momentum which means that tree-roots, large rocks etc. are rolled over without slowing the whole plot down too much.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks druidh. Clears it up a bit. 🙂

Do you have the option of tube/less as in ornery MTBing? Or is it tubes all the way.

What was the “in” for Fats in the first place? From what perceived need did they come (avoiding the casual insult of “you’re all just marketing victims”, if you know what I mean)?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

So how about riding to + from trails I’m guessing linking sections are a bit of a drag + what about moorland boggyness?
    How about average weights (thinking more about lifting over fences/gates e.t.c. )?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘So, Fatty Bikes…’ is closed to new replies.