Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stob Ban – Glen Nevis
  • fergal
    Free Member

Who has ridden this, it has been on the radar for a while, but haven’t got round to riding it yet, I see MBR have an article about it, lauding it as possibly the best singletrack in the UK, looks beau, it’s a shame it took me seeing glossy pics in a mag to think it would be worthwhile, I had walked it many moons ago and had a feeling it could be special, will it now become the Snowden ranger path of the highlands?, the must have butterfly to be added to the mtbers collection.

Spin
    Free Member

Depends on the route.

I went up over Mullach Nan Coirean over Stob Ban and back into Glen Nevis at the bridge.

This is a waste of time. Huge carry up, the top section of SB is too rocky to ride and the bit I thought would be awesome from the bealach to Glen Nevis is really disappointing. This is mainly because the path runs through such a deep and narrow rut that it is impossible to fit your bike through parts of it.

Mind you, I had fallen off and hurt my arm to the extent that I was basically riding one handed so perhaps it isn’t quite as bad as I remember.

Other routes are available.

fergal
    Free Member

maybe a little overhyped then, the route is the voi normale, out and back, from the lower falls, they do mention some pedal strikes in a rut, the photo’s make it look stunning, plus they say the upper arête is not rideable, all gleaned by browsing in whsmiths!

Sanny
    Free Member

Hmmm. I carried up the descent but I think we did a lower path than spin. From the saddle below the summit, I reckon our route which had one small scramble could be pretty damn good.

For the win, head up onto the peaks at the far end of the Mamores. I rode there a few weeks ago. Stunning! On the 1:50000 there is a switchback descent. It was bloody good!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stob Ban – Glen Nevis’ is closed to new replies.