Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sticking cross type tyres on a roadbike suggestion?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

Got a giant flatbar roadbike on the way (fcr. 2)

I want to ride it on a pebbley and very slightly gravelly bridleway on occasion.

If i could get away with it id take round my local forest too gnarly it isnt

It comes with kenda 700×25 slick tyres

What would you advise, some cross tyres?

Can i run them on any road rim, what width is best ( ans would the giant take?)

Would some cross

STATO
    Free Member

touring tyres would prob be good enough, somthing like a 28/30mm, tho 35 is obviously better but prob wont fit in your frame.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You'll be lucky to get anything bigger than a 28 on as there isn't a huge amount of clearance between the chainstays for anything much bigger iirc, although does depend what year FCR as some have more clearance than others. No chance if its one of the later ones

timdrayton
    Free Member

goldenwonder
    Free Member

It's not an FCR then as they went out of production in '08 & were replaced by the Rapid for '09.

Very much doubt you'll get anything bigger than a fairly smooth 28 on it, they're just not designed for it, sorry.

*Edit* Sorry, '09 was the cross over year.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Ok guys cheers!

One last thing , if i am going to change the brake levers do i need canti type levers or can i use any v brake levers?

It has roadie calipers

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You'll need canti type levers ideally, as V brake levers pull a different amount of cable (10mm iirc) compared to canti & road caliper brakes, which'll give you a really wooden feeling lever with little power.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sticking cross type tyres on a roadbike suggestion?’ is closed to new replies.