Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I have £400, which lightweight wheelset please?
  • radoggair
    Free Member

Need a new wheelset, have upto £400 to spend so need a lightweight wheelset. Its for my race bike but will be ridden often.

Jumps will be too a minimal so no 10 footers.
    i'm about 10.5 stone
    i ride quite hard
    stick to being tubed as me and tubeless aint getting on

what have we.

I've been away for a while if this has been done recently. Also, make sure i have some reviews please

andrewh
    Free Member

Get yourself on the German ebay.
    Set of Tune King/Kong Superscharfe and FRM330s should be within budget.

radoggair
    Free Member

linky linky with your thinky thinky

epicsteve
    Free Member

American Classics

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

HTF do you not get on with tubeless? Can you not ride worth $hit or something?

stumpy01

If I had £400 to spank on some new wheels it would bathe American Classics I reckon.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

If you want a bargain, my missus is selling the wheels that were on her previous bike. (she doesn't like 'em now because they don't colour match her new bike 🙄 ) They're Hope Pro 3 32 spoke straight pull hubs, sapim race spokes and DT 4.2 rims. Weight wise, I think they're around the 1600g to 1650g mark (dunno if that's light enough for you). I er…borrowed them and tried 'em on my PaceRC405 and they're brilliant, light but not fragile feeling like some 24 & 28 spokers – also nice and stiff (and I'm 13.5 stone and really wang the bike around on berms & stuff).

I think she's looking for about £220 plus postage. (still got the wheel boxes and spare spokes in the garage). If you're interested, drop me a line.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Hoops Pro 3 SP XC6 on Dt 4.2d

Front
    Rear

Spend the change on some nice tyres.

Baldysquirt

The first or second one on this list

mboy
    Free Member

From the Justridingalong website…

Light XC build (1370g/pair)
    ZTR front and rear hubs
    ZTR Alpine rims
    DT Revolution black spokes & black alu nipples
    £383.70

Link to the hubs… http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/shop.php?product=3711

Link to the wheelset… http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/shop.php?product=4213

Personally I don't reckon you're going to get lighter than 1370g for under 400 quid off the shelf, and the Notubes ZTR hubs are supposed to be very good quality, and the new Alpine rims even better and more reliable than the Olympics they replace…

andrewh
    Free Member

Just sod the expense, Tune Princess/Dezibel on Innolite XCC250 with 28 DT Aerolites.
    Very nice. Just tell the misses they were £400.

mattp
    Free Member

i'm sure that our friend from surrey will be along with true words of wisdom about light wheels but in the mean time: in my experience steer clear of alloy nipples unless you want to rebuild the wheels at the end of the season, i may be alone in my experience but i wouldn't recommend them….

foxyrider
    Free Member

Like hope myself so I'd go for Pro III on ZTR's – have a set of Pro II SP on ZTR's on my Orange Five – very light Edit (compared with my std ProII setup) and have put up with loads of abuse so far 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hope hubs aren't really that light though really. ZTR hubs are a good bit lighter, smoother and cheaper.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup I didn't say they were lighter than ZTR but Hope have such good CS that no brainer for me anyway 🙂

Dirtynap
    Free Member

American classic sub 1500grams for the set and £399. Plus they are 32 spoke and have no weight limit unlike many others. having said that you weigh nothing, were as I weigh 95kgs in my XC gear.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I have £400, which lightweight wheelset please?’ is closed to new replies.