Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stereo advice please!
  • Rod

Quick question for people who know about this stuff…

I’ve got a decent stereo in the lounge with an airport express so we can play from iTunes/iPhone – that works fine. When we finish work on our dining room, I want to be able to add another airport express and use some old b&w speakers (dm600-s3 that were previously used as rear speakers for a surround setup that I no longer bother with).

I also have a Yamaha DSP E800 that I used to use for the surround set up (it worked with the existing stereo speakers and powered the rear/centre speakers). Is there any reason why I shouldn’t/can’t use this just as a stereo amp with an airport express as the only input? Or should I just get a basic stereo amp instead?

We don’t need anything super loud and just need reasonable quality (iTunes will be the limiting factor at 256kbs).

Thanks!

Rod

Hmmm… just found the manual for the Yamaha online – sounds as if it’s not flexible enough to do what I want?

glenh
    Free Member

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t/can’t use this just as a stereo amp with an airport express as the only input?

Probably not, as it is no doubt designed to work with surround signals only (or pass stereo through to your stereo amp for the fronts).

You can pick up a nice stereo amp from a few years ago for peanuts on ebay though. Or a basic cambridge audio one from richer sounds would probably be a cheap option too.

AlexSimon

I have a DSP-E800 and didn’t think it could do that. There’s nowhere to tell it to route the stereo to the rears.

There’s no need to spend a fortune on an amp though.
    I don’t know what the current bargains are, but a second hand Nad 3020 or Pioneer A400 might fit the bill.
    Although I don’t think they are remote control.

You may not need it though – the volume may be adjustable from the source. Worth checking.

AlexSimon

Or anything by Rotel.

Rod

Thanks both – sounds like a plan (amp will be hidden in a cupboard so no remote isn’t a problem). I assume these amps will sound much better than, say, a denon micro system?

househusband

…I assume these amps will sound much better than, say, a denon micro system?

You’d really need to audition them to make your own judgement, perhaps? Especially bearing in mind your source… Don’t be quick to knock the Denon micro systems; I have one in my study and it drives some large Mordaunt Short floorstanding speakers – and, for the record, I used to be a bit of a hi-fi nerd and can’t believe how much I once spent!

Rod

Interesting… I might have to do some chatting in superfi and richer sounds one lunchtime…

infidel
    Free Member

Look up tripath ta2024 on google, spend a few hours reading the various pages then buy a tripath amp from eBay for £20. Honestly, fantastic sound and for a second system, they are small cheap and remarkably good!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stereo advice please!’ is closed to new replies.