Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Stem setup with fork. – 'short and high' vs 'long and low'
  • clubber
    Free Member

Oh dear, it's descended into MBUK c0ck-waving 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Oh dear, it's descended into MBUK c0ck-waving

Which on a basic level is far more amusing than the usual STW brain waving.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, fair point. Carry on.

My 120mm stem would beat your 40mm stem in a scrap anyday.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FAOD: me 'n' said xc mincer are best of pals, it was a joke, did the self-righteous ever think of that? I am looking at you KT Tunstall.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yeah, fair point. Carry on.

My 120mm stem would beat your 40mm stem in a scrap anyday.

Knowing you your 120mm stem is scrap.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

FAOD: me 'n' said xc mincer are best of pals, it was a joke, did the self-righteous ever think of that? I am looking at you KT Tunstall.

WTF is a FAOD?

cynic-al
    Free Member

For Avoidance Of Doubt

clubber
    Free Member

FOAD I think KT knew that it was a joke.

Just FOAD like 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know. I felt I could not direct humourous venom against anyone else in case they exploded.

glenp
    Free Member

FOAD I didn't. So naive.

clubber
    Free Member

I knew you knew. I was just FOAD

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Just FAOD clubber, I think that al knew that I knew it was a joke and was doing teh ironing, FAOD I believe it is FAOD not FOAD as you have stated clubber.

HTH.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I went form a 65mm stem to a 90mm stem and my bike is better so there 😆

clubber
    Free Member

FOAD sounds better than FAOD just FYI like 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

haha, me and my 40mm stem would woop your ass both up and down!

Would you like me to bring my 140mm, 100mm, 90mm, 40mm or minus 50mm stem to the beating I will deal you?

al – **** pleats in my jeans again, WTF IRONING?

"Depends a bit on how big the log is … then driving with your feet with your arms fully extended … the wheel comes up tangentially…"

This all sounds way to complicated to me.
    I think I'll stick to just pointing the bike where I want to go and hanging on, with the occasional little front wheel hop over the bigger bumps.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

FYI and FWIW I agree that FOAD is better than FAOD.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

al – **** pleats in my jeans again, WTF IRONING?

Goes with your white Birkenstocks.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

and my side parting.

Plus someone ironed my LOLCOPTER, its now a FFS CARPET 😡

_tom_
    Free Member

I don't really like the feel of long stems, the front end feels sluggish and it's harder to lift it if you need to. I guess I don't like the feeling of that much weight over the front end. Tempted to try my 90mm back on now I've got a shorter TT frame, it was awful on my Rockhopper though.

Currently running a 50mm stem with riser bars and 110-140mm forks (usually at 110 but wind out to 140 for any jumping or longer descents). Awesome for jumping but feels a little cramped and hanging over the back wheel for climbing.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

FAOD a shorter stem makes it easier to pull up on the bars AND to do that wierd shit that Glemp is advocating.

FWIW I don't advocate riding with your arms straight.

Earl
    Free Member

With 100mm stem cornering is great but i feel very stretched and not that responsive to popping over logs/rocks also feel very stretched out.

With 80mm + a few spacers under logs/rocks and good again and arms are a bit bent as they should be but when corner it feels like I cant get the curve started and end up going straight then emergency braking to turn the corner. Tried with the stem up and down the steertube but still cant get it to feel right.

Spent a few hours re-riding the same stretch of trail (about 10 times) with one change at a time but still cant get the setup dialled. The frame is built for 60-80mm stem as per website so Im a bit baffled (or just a cr*p rider)

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I just put my 90mm on. So far it feels alright for flat and climbs but descending and general "fun" riding doesn't feel as good. So I think I'll put the 50mm back on since I'd rather enjoy the fun bits than have a slightly comfier climb. I may reserve full judgement and give it a go at cannock on Wednesday though.

Long top tube/short stem is probably a winning combination though as you should get the length for climbing with the responsive front end (I would imgaine).

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

ADH does mince.

though Al, why did you crash der ROFL Copter? hhhmmmm????

no problem with 100mm stems on my xc bike. front end comes up easily over any obstacles or for any drops. sort your technique out before your kit.

And i'll join in teh arsewoopin for all y'all.

yunki
    Free Member

I am not going anywhere near my bike until I have measured the stem FAOD.. I have been using this stem for a while.. (and have used it on a previous bike) without having the faintest idea of its length..

no wonder I can't ride for toffee

FWIW I will watch the arse whipping from the bushes but I would rather not join in

tazzymtb

FOAD =**** off and die, how can you be so nasty over the length of mans front extension? surely boasting about having a short stumpy one is not a good thing, even if it does mean that your frontage lifts more rapidly 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Stem setup with fork. – 'short and high' vs 'long and low'’ is closed to new replies.