Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stem length on a Bronson mk1
  • gkeeffe

Hi, I was wondering if it was worth going shorter on my Bronson.

I’m running a 60mm stem with 740 bars on a medium. I’m 5’9″.

What’s everyone else doing? Will shorter/wider be better?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Personally I ran 40mm as it puts your weight further back but it’s all down to personal choice. I ran santa cruz carbon bars 760 & 35mm diameter with a Easton stem, now gone to a MK2 now with the same set up & it feels spot on as the top tube is just that bit longer making the reach feel better as I’m 6ft.
    You might find the bike feels a lot more stable & your more in the bike.

Hope that helps.

gkeeffe

Cheers, maybe I’ll buy a cheap one off eBay and see what I think. The bike is quite short, and wheelies quite easily on steep climbs I wonder it it would get a lot worse with a shorter stem.

GolfChick
    Free Member

5ft 7/8 and running a 50mm stem with 800mm trimmed down to about 770mm. Wouldn’t get any longer, have toyed with going shorter and a 35mm clamp

mildbore

Agree it’s down to personal preference. FWIW I run a 50mm stem and 780 bar on a large Bronson mk2 and I’m 6ft, ride Peaks rocky stuff and love it

acid877
    Free Member

I’m 5’9 and I’ve actually done the opposite with my MK1 Bronson with 730mm bars, increased my stem length!

I started with a 35 / 50mm stem and found the cockpit too small (I was riding with my hands too close to me) so I rotated my riser bars to give more room and changed for a 60mm stem.

The handling has definitely improved, I carry more speed around berms as my arms are at the correct length now.

Lakes_Puma

Quick Q for the people who have gone from a Mk1 to a Mk2, have you kept the same size?

yorkycsl, what size do you ride?

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Lakes_puma

I’m 6ft & always felt slightly cramped on the MK1 Bronson but felt comfortable once I put the Easton 35mm stem on at 40mm, I tried several bars & settled on the 760mm Santa Cruz bars, thye seem to dampen out trail vibration & have a decent back sweep which suits me.

I sold the Mk1 recently but put the exact set up on the Mk2 & I felt instantly comfortable & friends that have tried the bike have commented that it just feels right from the start.

Though there is a increase in top tube length (20mm) it really was a welcome addition for me, 34″ leg, the bike feels more stable at high speed & though I’m a old geezer I’ve already had some good fun with strava times compared to the last bike, roll on dry trails !!

Hope that helps

Lakes_Puma

yorkycsl, is it an XL that you ride?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stem length on a Bronson mk1’ is closed to new replies.