Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stem ginger help
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i'm trying to make a desert that needs both chopped stem ginger, and stem ginger in syrup. i can find the stem ginger syrup, but not the chopped stuff. looking on google, it seems to suggest it is crystalised. could i get away with using the stuff in syrup (not sure there's much of a difference but i'm no foodie!)

teagirl
    Free Member

Isn't it the stuff you get at the supermarket in the fruit and veg section?

stealthcat

Try Sainsbury's – they do it in tubs. It's usually near the glace cherries/dried fruit, and looks exactly like the chopped candied peel.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it different from normal stem ginger set about with a knife?

midlifecrashes

I'd have assumed you buy a chunk of the fresh stuff and get chopping.

ART

You can get chopped stem ginger in pretty much any health food shop or those Julian Graves type places, plus supermarkets do do it. The stuff in the fruit & veg section is fresh, root ginger (more for savoury dishes). The chopped stuff is pretty much the same as the stuff in syrup – just dried (or crystallised – i.e. with sugar on!) so if I were you, unless you are really fussy about being 100% to the recipe I'd just use the stuff you've got. 🙂

crazy-legs

Stem ginger from supermarket and a sharp knife!

Also works well in smoothies if you run it through a blender, you only need a cubic inch or so to give home-made smoothies a lovely extra kick. 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

I think its really just the same stuff… may be wrong though.

I am happy to test the end result though to clear any confusion…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's not the Jamie Oliver Very Ginger Cheesecake or whatever it is called is it?

Nick

The chopped stem ginger is presumably fresh and so will impart a different, hotter, flavour than the stuff in syrup (which is **** lovely btw), can be found in most Supermarkets in the veg section.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

no, stem ginger seems to be different from the usual fresh stuff:

"Crystallized stem ginger – Pieces of candied ginger are rolled in fine cane sugar to make this delicious sweet.

"Fresh ginger is actually the root of the plant and is often known as root ginger. It has a refreshing aroma with a hint of citrus and has a knobbly appearance, a thick skin and a light yellow flesh.

"Fresh ginger in sunflower oilThis convenient form of fresh ginger (sold in a jar with the herbs and spices) can simply be added to dishes when the flavour of fresh root ginger is required."

"Ginger syrup A delicious golden-coloured syrup flavoured with natural ginger, this is a really convenient form of ginger for both sweet and savoury dishes. It is sold in bottles"

"Ground ginger Fresh ginger is dried and ground to a powder to make ground ginger. It has quite a different flavour from fresh ginger and the two are not interchangeable. Ground ginger has a sweet, warm aroma and a spicy flavour."

And "Stem gingerAlso known as preserved ginger, stem ginger is young ginger that has been peeled and preserved in sugar syrup. The syrup is usually quite sweet and provides a good contrast to the spicy, golden nuggets of ginger"

That's a lot of info about ginger that i didn't know!! I will try that section in sainsburys, thanks – was there earlier but didn't think to check that bit. doh.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

@mastiles_fanylion, no its not that. its a chocolate recipe with chocolate (obviously) almonds, cherries, raisins, chopped stem ginger and ginger syrup. its from a running magazine 🙂

i'm not too picky but i don't think the usual ginger would work?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ginger is just the root of the plant anyway AFAIK, though I'd bow to greater knowledge, so presumably it's just the age and packaging that's different. Might make a hefty difference in taste. Good luck finding it!

ART

What I said then 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member
    dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

@ art, yes but it took me ages to copy that and i hadn't seen your response. i shall use the stuff in syrup then and see how it goes…

ART

Can we have pic of said desert then when it's done please, somehow I feel we deserve it. 😀 That and I'm feeling kinda hungry.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

will post up piccies later when its done, although it might get put off until tomorrow now. i hope its nice after trawling round the shops etc!

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Boy am I dissapointed, I thought this was a thread to build on my Florence Welch fantasies. 😥

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

ah, i've finally found this which will do the trick i think, but i can't get it today. thought i'd post it up in case anyone is interested 🙂

http://www.juliangraves.com/foods/crystallized/crystallised-ginger-suitable-for-both-snacking-and-home-baking-200g.html

brakes
    Free Member

root ginger and stem ginger are different things

whytetrash

Try pancakes with grated milky bar and root ginger…sounds odd but a taste sensation!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stem ginger help’ is closed to new replies.