Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Steel or alu rigid fork on a carbon frame?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is this ‘wrong’?

Seems a bit backwards to put a steel fork or an alu fork on a carbon frame but I’m thinking of something cheap to replace the suspension fork.

gothandy

Wrong so wrong

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, I had that nagging feeling it was….

RealMan
    Free Member

Are we talking road bike or mountain bike?

No wait, it doesn’t matter. Wrong.

Keef
    Free Member

technically illegal…………

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Mountain bike.

456 carbon with something like a Kona Project II??

dobo
    Free Member

seriously, everybody you meet will pick you up on this..
    at least buy exotic carbon forks, they look good and are cheap. sell something to fund it.

or ride what you want 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

why?

nice light steel fork will ride lovely. not sure if anyone makes any.

won’t please the fashionistas above tho.

dobo
    Free Member

not really sure if a 456 is the right bike to be running rigid anyway, no doubt somebody will say different

also my old genesis io forks probably weigh as much as the carbon 456…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

456 carbon is nice and light, so why not rigid? Get the head angle right with a suitable length and bob’s your uncle.

Full rigid will make it sub 20lb!

cynic-al
    Free Member

mtbtomo – Member
    456 carbon is nice and light stiff, so why not rigid?

Northwind

It does seem a bit odd. The Exotic carbon forks aren’t expensive and they work very well (people say don’t buy cheap carbon, so if you’re concerned, you can buy the exact same fork from Nukeproof for about twice as much)

epo-aholic
    Free Member

OMG……never thought i’d see the like, may as well fire a project 2 on a Full sus while your at it! 😆

rustler
    Free Member

Went rigid recently. Done so before, but this time carbon forks, nice big front tyre, carbon bars & comfy grips. Should have done it a long time ago. Wont suit rockfests, but for what I do I’m happy.

andyl
    Free Member

If you want to try it on the cheap to start with I have a 29er cromoly disc only fork sitting here in the way. Will be equivalent of 130-140mm suspension correction with a 26″ wheel. Would have thought a Kona Project 2 will be a bit short.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

OMG……never thought i’d see the like, may as well fire a project 2 on a Full sus while your at it!

Oh come on! I was actually thinking a Girvin Flex stem on the 140mm full suss 😉

Thanks Andy, but think it will have to be carbon or not at all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Steel or alu rigid fork on a carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.