Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)
  • Steel City DH 2012
  • emmodd
    Free Member

Anyone going? Either watching or racing?

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh, it’s this Saturday isn’t it? I might well bob along and watch… Will there be any riding to be done for spectators?

Tracey

Abigale is racing in the ladies. Katie and me arnt racing this year due to her back operation and my shoulder.

http://stevepeat.com/steelcitydh

Riofer
    Free Member

Went last year but don’t think i can make it to watch this time around. Was good fun spectating at the finish line especially with the big drop in for the riders to deal with. Still wince when I remember the bloke who landed on his top tube 😕

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’ll be there, yes. If you see a nondescript man standing watching, either alone or with his missus and/or mates, say hello.

flyingmonkeycorps

A nondescript man eh? Are you sure you’re not me?

unstableJ
    Free Member

It might be me

relliott6879
    Free Member

Is it on the tellybox, perchance?

tracknicko
    Free Member

new track is much better than old track.

have fun.

muzzle
    Free Member

Must say I fancied this, was thinking of taking my 5 year-old son too. However it’s on a Saturday afternoon and I live the wrong side of the city to be messing around trying to get past Hillsborough when Sheffield Wednesday are playing at home. Seems like poor planning date-wise. Shame cos I would have gone otherwise.

tracknicko
    Free Member

what a fricking weak reason not to go, on that basis i’d never be able to leave my house every other saturday!

open your mind a bit and use a road other than the A61?

muzzle
    Free Member

Thanks for your feedback tracknicko. I haven’t entirely discounted going, but there’s no denying that the timing makes it a far more difficult prospect than it needed to be when the likelihood is that my son will be bored after an hour when the novelty of the fast bikes has worn off, and he wants to go home to watch Scooby Doo.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll be in my usual British Army Camo jacket if anyone wants to say hello punch me in the mouth

jackthedog
    Free Member

A nondescript man eh? Are you sure you’re not me?

Actually, I think I might be. I all look alike.

flyingmonkeycorps

I are many.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Me’n’her are going…

Probably sheltering from the deluge in the Cotic ezyup.

ahwiles
    Free Member

apparently, it’s a 3pm kick-off, so getting to the race shouldn’t be a problem.

but it might be a different story 2 hours later…

oh how i hate football.

(you’ll be fine if you want to pop along for a bit, watch some bikes, go home)

relliott6879
    Free Member

relliott6879Member

Is it on the tellybox, perchance?

Anyone know?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m racing.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ll be “racing” too- most likely last place in the vets category.
    I went up last week for a quick play, the track is really nice and flowy, just a shame it seems likely to rain non stop till the weekend, will be very slippery….

nosedive
    Free Member

the new track is brilliant, I spent a couple of hours there last week. Hope the rain stops though otherwise the flat corners in the middle muddy section are going to be interesting. I was 2 wheel drifting off the track last week and that was before about 3 inches of rain

simonm
    Free Member

docrobster – I’ll challange you for that last place in vets 😉

I’ll be racing and were sponsoring the Elite Prize. Should be a cracking day. New track is fantastic, although I’ll be skipping that gap jump in the middle.

Its dry out today.

Tracey

At least its stopped raining

Pook

its a 12 start isn’t it??

Tracey

Time Table
    8:30Registration opens
    9:00Course open for Practice
    10:00Registration Closes
    11:45Course Closed for Practice
    12:00First runs
    4:00Finish
    4:30Prize Giving and Raffle

fairhurst
    Free Member

Well i have walked the track yesterday as me and my partner are staying in sheffield at the present.

It looks like a fantastic cyclo cross downhill,but thats it, was not what i expected from a downhill race!! apart from a jump its very tame indeed and CYB trail centre is far more technically challenging!!!

and i thought wharncliffe was supposed to be a challenge huh!

Tracey

The race is in Greno woods. Wharncliffe DH tracks are on the other side of the road

tracknicko
    Free Member

well said tracey. the idea is races for all in GRENOSIDE, not techical DH in WHARNCLIFFE.

there are plenty of tracks already on the other side of the road that are close to impossible if you want some tech.

they’ll wipe that CYB is better smirk off your **** face i can tell ya.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i probably need a winky face on that last post. right? either way, wind ya neck in. people have put a lot of effort into building a nice approachable track there fella.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Fairhurst has a good point mind! I think it should be Steel city xc 2012! Downhill needs to be just that, DOWN! and tech!

fairhurst
    Free Member

tracknicko ok, i just though that with it being a downhill race it would be just that and not like cross country-cyclo cross.
    the last race they was all wearing full amour goggles and it was a flat course.

i just dont understand why they should wear all the full garmenets and protection..
    im all for safety but this hmm.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh i do agree its badly sold, being advertised as a ‘dh’ race. we ride the old (and now the new) courses of part of our xc loops, and very nice they are too.

i ride HT, no need for any more than that really. DH bike would indeed be proper overkill.

nosedive
    Free Member

fairhurst – you should definitely get someone to show you the ‘proper’ downhill tracks on the other side of the road if the one in Greno is too tame for you. There is some really good, technical stuff.

A lot of it is beyond me and has been responsible for smashing up several wheels, helmets, ripped knee pads etc

tracknicko
    Free Member

yep. having raced DH for a few years, traveled and worked in the alps for the last 10 years or so, i can hand on heart say there a bits of WC that are the hardest tracks i have ever attempted.

short. but HARD.

and no it wont be on tv for the people asking. im not really sure what you guys think this race will be.

it aint the Bahrain GP. more of a mates race/regional DH vibe i think

Pook

if its not tech enough for you you should be riding quicker.

;o)

when’s your run fairhurst?

pussywillow
    Free Member

Where’s these mega tech lines in wharny?? I need to try em cos I thought I’d done em all but I must be wrong!

Riofer
    Free Member

Fairhurst, assuming you’re not just trolling, you should check out some the race reports on last years event. You would see that Chris Akrigg had a big crash and had to retire due to concussion. The course may require a bit more pedal but to get the bottom fast still takes a lot of skill.

Anyway I like it, allows average riders to compare themselves to the elite and realise how slow they are even on a “flat cyclocross course”.

Tracey

Last years was on Freecaster, its still on Peatys site

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh yeh i remember. ok fair enough.

pinhead
    Free Member

The course may require a bit more pedal but to get the bottom fast still takes a lot of skill.

Am unsure on skill id say more fitness and a slight bit of skill for this event but respect to them who built and organised it..

bit of tech over other side of wharny but nowt major tech,

id say Rossit gill int lakes or red pike thats tech!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Steel City DH 2012’ is closed to new replies.