Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Steel (853) singlespeed frames – name them please
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

CG; you’re going on about the TT on something like the RL being too short, yet your Ibis is actually a tiny bit shorter. 😕

???

I don’t understand what you really want here. As Mboy points out, the Sirius is quite heavy for 853, whereas the Lobster frame in 15″ is 4.25lb. Which is pretty bloody light for an 853 frame. It’s also fantastic value for money. Far less hyped than stuff like Cotic. You say the 14″ Inbred is too short, and the 16″ too long, so the Lobster would be perfect, as it sits in the middle.

The only downside to the Lobster is that it’s not an SS frame, but a tensioner works perfectly well, and you’ve still got the option of putting gears on. An Excentricker BB would do away with the need for a tensioner, as would something like a Phil Wood Eno eccentric hub.

You can adapt the fit of a bike far more by changing stems, using a layback seatpost, different width bars etc, than 1/2″ or so in the TT. Different width grips make a difference in the ‘feel’, even.

So, two frames you’ve had, which would’ve been perfect, you’ve sold.

I give up with you Love. You’re impossible. 🙄

X

Kahurangi

To further complicate things….

the Sirius was beefed up to pass the CEN regulations. Regulations part of which are stiffness based so just as much (if not more steel) was used in the tubeset. So I can’t say the Sirius is as sprightly, nor as light as the Rock Lobster 853.

Still is a great frame though, don’t get me wrong. ’tis heavy though.

cinnamon_girl

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr … I’m having a hot flush and my thoughts are muddled yet again.

Shoot me someone. 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s for the best….

Can I have yer bikes then? 🙂

Kahurangi

What’s the real reason for wanting 853 steel? if you want something that is steel/real, very singlespeedable and seriously strong, get a Sirius and put a carbon seatpost in.

If you just want something that contains all the steel buzzwords then maybe keep looking.

sorry 😳

HTH 😀

travellingman
    Free Member

cinnamon girl – email on it’s way shortly

Blackhound

Hi C-G,

I saw this thread last night and just seen a 16″ Cotic Simple for sale on the classifieds. Don’t know the seller or if it is what you want but thought you may be interested. Ask Elfie what he thinks;-)

one_bad_mofo

If you don’t mind Tange Prestige tubing there is the Soma 4ONE5. Though you’ll have to buy it direct from the US.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What you need, my dear, is an old Kona, something like a 91-95 Explosif or Cindercone.

Becasue I’m telling you now, it’ll be more fun to ride than all the modern tackle listed here, about 1/4 of the price and totally deppreciation-proof.

Wanna borrow one? Seriously….. 8)

Hairychested
    Free Member

Or get a 2nd-hand ti frame and get it singlespeeded?

munchiepumps
    Free Member

Why not try the custom build approach? 18 bikes are now able to get custom built frames.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a geared 853 Sirius and love it, but it’s a large built up with solid kit so weights not a massive issue (it’s not the lightest but to be fair it’s tough and not massively overweight); I’d say it’s worth considering. It you can live without 853 though the Kinesis Decade Virsa Prestige great. It looks lovelly in apple green and CRC have 42Cm (16″) frames in stock for £314, would that be too large?. The frame material is ‘Tange Prestige JPN’ and they use DMR’s Swopout droupout system.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That Decade frame actually looks ideal for CG.

In fact, if I were in’t market for a versatile steel frame, I’d go for that. Swappable dropouts; great idea.

I think what CG ‘needs’ is something a bit more ‘niche’ though, actually…. 😉

Hornet600
    Free Member

Singular Swift?

I have a Simple and it is brilliant, love it!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Steel (853) singlespeed frames – name them please’ is closed to new replies.