Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • State Pensions
  • mudshark
    Free Member

I believe there’s the basic pension and then an extra one for those not ‘contracted out’ – is that right? How much is the extra one likely to be worth – how can it be worked out? Just wondering what I’ve got on top of my company pension as people tell me I need to contribute a lot each month or I risk poverty in my old age….

MoreCashThanDash

You can apply (online?) for a state pension forecast, should be on the Directgov website.

totalshell

no

br
    Free Member

either way a simple calc is that you should save (every month) half your age as a percentage of your salary:

If you are aged 40, save 20%…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

does that formula take into account the incompetance of the investing company in managing your money?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

either way a simple calc is that you should save (every month) half your age as a percentage of your salary:

Yeah right.

I am gonna buy my kids some guitars and nurture them to be rich rock stars so they can keep me in money, alcohol and hard drugs into my old age.

jon1973
    Free Member

Nice, if you can afford it. A lot of peole can’t I’d imagine.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

I work in Pensions for one of Britain’s biggest insurance companies.

However when planning my own pension, i use this interactive calculator provided by Hargreaves Lansdown.

This can be quite an eye opener.

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/interactive-calculators/pension-calculator

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Great post thehillsofsomerset, thanks for that link 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yes. Thanks. I now know for sure that Im going to have to kill myself riding downhill before retirement age as A) I can save about a tuppence a month and B) by the time I get to retirement age (about 105 by the time I get there!) there isn’t going to be much if any state pension.

warton
    Free Member

thats good link, cheers

thats actually put any fears I had to bed. curently will receive a nice sum a year, and as my employer increases its contributions the older I get, and I expect to get more money as I get older I can relax a bit. (that is, of course if I live to 68)

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve applied for that state pension forecast so will be interested to see what that tells me. Got the private pension covered – I have a SIPP with H-L and a company pension where I choose my own funds.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘State Pensions’ is closed to new replies.