Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Star-fangled nuts
  • Starrman28
    Free Member

What tool do you use to fit star-fangled nuts to steerer tubes, anyone make their own?

lightman
    Free Member

Hammer and a bit of copper pipe or handle bar cut off!

meehaja
    Free Member

put the headset bolt in and hammer it down gently to the position you want it at.

poly
    Free Member

I think I used a piece of broom handle

Northwind

If you’ve got a bit of M6 threaded bar, you can thread the SFN onto that then drop it through the steerer, then tap it in by hitting the end of the bar. Because of the length of it, it prevents the SFN from going in squint by any significant amount. You could add washers or a nut or something to the opposite end (ie the bottom of the steerer) to reduce that even further but there doesn’t seem to be any point.

marc
    Free Member

A big plastic hammer and the headset bolt does the trick.

GeForceJunky

Long bit of threaded bar. Just stick it out the bottom of the steerer tube with a big washer and nut on the end and it pulls it in perfectly straight rather than trying to hammer it in from above.

pastcaring
    Free Member

geforce, what a good idea, thanks!

i use an old stem, bolt and topcap. fit the old stem loosely and hammer the bolt/topcap. the stem should keep it straight.

Northwind

Ah, Geforce, I should’ve thought of that, I’m doing 9/10ths of it already 😳

Starrman28
    Free Member

Cheers, I have tried the treaded bar with washers before, it was on my old road hack with a 1 inch steerer, it was hard going TBH.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – for a whole £8.50 (sometimes less) you can get a proper tool for the job.

lifepath1
    Free Member

hi i worked in a bike shop years ago and i had the fun jobs!
    threded bar and hammer gently untill in straight, i use the hope thing now but have used the use bar tighener ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Star-fangled nuts’ is closed to new replies.