Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Stans Crest or Arch
  • rock
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking to replace my 717s on XTs. They’ve been perfect for riding in the peaks, lakes, spain and (mainly) surrey hills, but I’m after something tubeless, clickier and (hopefully) lighter. Thing is, I’m starting to ride bigger drops(3-5 ft) and want something that will stand the abuse.

I’m choosing between crests on pro2’s and arches on pro2s (although the arches look like they will be tricky to find).

Bike is a giant anthem x and I weigh 75kg. Any recommendations/experiences.

boxelder

The Crest more or less replaces the Arch, so not much difference in strength. Neither are designed for regular drops of that size. Flows are better suited to Peak/Lakes rocks, but go for Crests if the weight is a big issue.
    That said I’m near 90kg and haven’t broken my Arches yet riding in the Lakes. I do tend to use another set of wheels with DT 5.1’s when I know it’ll be rougher.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Crest does not replace the Arch at all. Different rims completely.

Why do people post stuff like this when they obviously don’t know what they’re talking about?

Arch rims will easily handle drops as they are virtually as strong as a Flow (same cross sectional shape, just narrower), Crets might or might not, they’re really a light but wide Xc rim.

mboy
    Free Member

Crest replaces the 355, not the Arch

Arch is still about, same external profile as old 355, but more material on the inside meaning it’s a bit stiffer and more robust than the 355 was, not that the 355 wasn’t pretty strong anyway for its weight.

Would suggest if you’re doing 5ft drops on an Anthem, you’ve either got the wrong bike, or you’re good at exaggerating. Anthem is a lightweight full sus XC race style bike, I’d be putting the lightest wheels I could afford on it myself (probably Crests or even Alpines possibly).

RealMan
    Free Member

Crests replace 355s don’t they? Simple mistake, no need to go insane 😀

Been running my 355s for about two years now, on a ht, I’m 55kg. Lots of xc, lots of dh, lots of crashes, bit of racing, two alp trips, and lots of normal trail riding. They’re still perfect. Brilliant wheelset. If you’re fairly smooth I don’t think you’d have any issues with the crest. If you’re not that smooth, or you’re just not too worried about weight, go for the arches.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Crests don’t even really replace the 355, just sit alongside.

Anyway, enough now.

rock
    Free Member

Would suggest if you’re doing 5ft drops on an Anthem, you’ve either got the wrong bike, or you’re good at exaggerating

Perhaps a bit of both. That’s measuring height loss from take-off to landing (i.e. a 2ft drop onto a steep transition). Is that the right way of measuring it?

Pieface

Arch’s will come as a ‘custom’ build, not as Hope Hoops. Not difficult to get but it begs the question that I asked myself earlier this year.

I had my heart set on the Arches, and got them at a reasonable price, however for the weight / price Flows are probably a better deal – i think they’re lighter than a 719 set up, and not much heavier than 717s.

I know people of your weight who ride harder on Olympic’s.

convert

I have 355s on a 29er ht and did damage the rear landing it a little flat over a small unseen drop on a night right.

I have some crests on a turner flux that I did put a tiny ding in the side wall of the front first ride out. I also have some flows I had left over from a slightly burlier bike that get switched onto the flux for a more lumpy rides – as much to do with the tyres as the rims.

The bike (flux) gets built up quite light n’ racy with the crests with very thin walled aspen tyres, sid forks, flat bars & normal post. With a 15 mins switch it has wider riser bars, slightly wound down pike forks, dropper post and the flows with lust high roller tyres. About 6lbs difference in bike weight but works nicely either way. Obviously sods law has it that more than half my rides are somewhere between xc race smooth and proper lumpy and if it’s shod light I’m constantly worried I’ll damage the tyres/rims or if it’s shod heavy I feel I’m dragging unnecessary weight around. I’m 85kgs.

Arch rims could be the perfect half way house for you – especially with the new exo maxxis sidewall tyres which work well tubeless without the weight of lust/ust.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been using Flows for about 5 years as all round riding rims. They replaced a set of 5 year old 519s. Very pleased with them. Re-trued and tensioned after a year, and I did the rear one again last year, just before I split the rim. Robust, light and low maintenance wheels IMO.

I bought a set of crests for my SS in january, and I’ve trued them three times and have two flat spots on the rear one already. I suspect the only reason its not worse is that I’m running a Conti X-king 2.4. I’m 14st and I suspect that the combination of my weight and my riding style mean they’re a bit too light for me.

Arches for me next.

iain1775
    Free Member

I bent my front 355 on only it’s second ride, admittedly it was one of worst crashes I’ve had and wheel went side on to a tree trunk
    The rear has lasted a year no problem
    I need to rebuild it but would like to try and reuse some of the spokes (I have a load of spare too) which stand rim is it that has the same spoke length? (sorry for thread highjack)

boxelder

Why do people post stuff like this when they obviously don’t know what they’re talking about?

Please accept my humblest apologies – guilty as charged. I have 355’s and will thoroughly research and cross check future posts.
    Second thoughts – N’ah, I’ll just make it up.

james
    Free Member

“Flows are probably a better deal – i think they’re lighter than a 719 set up”
    I thought XM719 Discs were in between Arch and Flow for weight, IIRC, Arch(black)~420g, XM719D~455g, Flow(black)~470g

I wonder whether the Arch and Flow are due a revamp like the Olympic/355 have largely become the Alpine/Crest? A bit lighter/wider (maybe 21mm?) Arch would suit me down to the ground I reckon coming from XM719D’s

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

719 weights are quoted without the nipples. Thus, they about the 500g mark, if not a little more, when you factor them into a ‘true’ rim weight.

Little in it really.

rock
    Free Member

Thanks all. Still pretty undecided, but think I’ll go for the crests on price. Flows seem like overkill.

yunki
    Free Member

As I understand it flows and arch are the same construction with the extra bracing within the rim.. with the arch having a smaller width..

crests have a different construction without the extra bracing so will be lighter but not as strong perhaps..

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve started using Crests after years with 717s. I’m around 82kg but a fairly smooth rider, so never really dinked 717s, but I like the slightly wider profile of the Crests.

I’ve got some on Pro2s (Hope Hoops) and they’re excellent so far – they’ve had 6 months of fairly tough abuse on my Soul and haven’t caused any problems at all.

Thoroughly recommend them.

daveb
    Free Member

For the Anthem X you should be going with the Crests, a nice strong feel for XC. 5 foot drops arent really what the Anthem is for, or at least I wouldnt fancy doing it on mine.

I have Olympics on mine and have ridden it on some pretty rocky stuff without any issues, I dont do big drops though.

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive got a pair of flow, and what is left of a pair of Arch.

They both have the same internal brace but the flow is a much deeper rim, rather than wider. Unless you regularly trash wheels it is probably overkill.

If you are riding drops like that I would go with Arch rather than crest if you can find and afford them. They lasted me 3 years and got through various crashes and badly landed drops. The rear didn’t totally die until I put it on my hardtail. My set custom built were about 1700 – 1750 grams I think, more than light enough for trail use

bigjim

Crests fine for my 80kg+ ass on a trance so far, though I don’t do 5ft drops! The width gives the tyres a really nice full shape.

FOG

I have run Arches on XT hubs for about 4-5 yrs on 3 diff bikes with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Even my mates who initially said ‘ No eyelets , won’t last a week’ have shut up. Definitely longer lasting than Mavics in my experience. I have smashed a Mavic rim and a hub in much shorter time.

james
    Free Member

“719 weights are quoted without the nipples. Thus, they about the 500g mark”
    Well yes, I think all rims are quoted without nipples?
    I assume you’re referring to the eyelets though? Fair enough if so

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

😛 🙄

charliedontsurf

Crests are light and have something like a 180 pound rider limit. Based on the quoted rider limit of the complete wheels.
    Arches are gnarlier.
    Are you gnarlier?
    Get the crests and if you eff them up replace with arches.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest or Arch’ is closed to new replies.