Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Standover height – how much do you have?
  • pascoa341
    Free Member

Having decided upon getting a Merlin Malt 2 (special edition), I was wondering about the size. I'm 6 ft. but with an inseam of 34 inch, the 21 inch bike seemed interesting, especially as it would have a longer top tube. However, after calling them, I found out this one has a whopping 33.25 inch standover height. Therefore, I was wondering how much standover height you like to ride with and if 33.25 would be doable for me?

rootes1

erm depends on how much 'clearance' you need 😆

i ride an XL singular swift and I have 36" inseam that has a standover of 34.2"

that malt sound a little big… are your legs long for your hight or short or average?

ajf
    Free Member

I have a rock lobster which I belive is the same angles and spec as the merlin malt.

I am 6ft 1", 33" inside leg and I have a 19" bike. Not sure what standover than is but I thought the rule of thumb was to be able to get your fist between frame and crotch.

radoggair
    Free Member

what if your jeremy beadle??? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've always chosed my bikes by the reach. I've got a long body and little legs so I generally get sack all standover. The way I see it is, if the bike fits, there's less chance I'm coming off so less chance I'll need the clearance.

pascoa341
    Free Member

My legs are 34" so normal to long for a 6.1ft person. Shame that Merlin is too far away, but it will probs be the 19"

iainc

I am a bit shorter at 5'10'' wil an inside leg of 31. I bought a Rock Lobster a few yrs ago and went through similar sizing issues, especially as a riding buddy reckoned I should go for a 19. In the end I went to try it at the shop (6hr round trip drive)…… I bought a 17. Fits me perfectly.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Crikey! 21" frame sounds way too big for you

You ought to be on a large or even med.

I have a 34.5 (rider's inseam) but much longer body (6'2") and am on a M 29er Paradox I like an upright position though.

Comfortable standover though 🙂

jedi

my hummer is perfect . standover for me is unimportant

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just found it – SO 29.7"

Mr Tall on here has rider's inseam of 39" 😯 so SO not important to him

With my misproportioned frame I need it

Used to ride a XL Niner with 32.4 – Ouch!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Standover height – how much do you have?’ is closed to new replies.