Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Standing as an MP
  • morelikeme
    Free Member

I like David Cameron’s idea of opening up the candidate list and starting from scratch with the Tories, but will they really break the mould and choose the right people?

I’ve always half fancied politics, but only if I could pick and choose policies from the three main parties – I just don’t see that one party could provide all the right answers.

Anyone else every fancied it? Although, in fairness, now that they are cleaning up the rules, it doesn’t seem like it would be as much fun or as lucrative…

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think to be any good, you’ve got to have some political background. People forget that it’s a job like any other, and you can no more stroll in and become a good politician, than you can stroll in and become a good architect or gardener.

Smee
    Free Member

You could however stroll in and become a mediocre architect or gardener. Lets face it, the current shower of shite haven’t exactly set the bar very high.

crikey
    Free Member

The expenses are good tho………….

I’ll get my ermine trimmed cloak…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Anyone else every fancied it?

Not me. Crap job – constant out of hours work, hours of listening to boring stuff which no one who voted for you gives a **** about, very often no job security, very rarely any thanks, rubbish pay, and now no perks.

What is there to like ?

uplink
    Free Member

What was it Billy Connolly said?

“Wanting to become and MP should immediately bar you from becoming one.”

He’s probably got a point

mudshark
    Free Member

I think to be any good, you’ve got to have some political background.

So does that mean the current lot did or didn’t have some political background when they started?!

rubbish pay, and now no perks.

That’s a matter of opinion – fantastic pension and a lot of cash when you lose your seat to sort yourself out.

crazy-legs

Crap job – constant out of hours work, hours of listening to boring stuff which no one who voted for you gives a **** about, very often no job security, very rarely any thanks, rubbish pay, and now no perks.

Apart from the “hours of listening…” bit, that sounds like my job. Wish my pay was half as “bad” as that of an MP!

samuri
    Free Member

not to mention you get inundated with loads of offers to become a non-executive director of a whole load of companies which all carry an enormous salary for no work whatsoever.

IMO, being an MP is a crap job to take. You could become a big company director, work half the hours and earn twice as much for making the same pathetic/dangerous decisions and not get publically lynched. It’s exactly the same job, you have to keep a bunch of the public (or shareholders) sweet by lying to them constantly, you spend most of your time feathering your own nest and you have to constantly come out with copious amounts of bollocks.

There’s a whole breed of useless feckers in this country who all fit this bill and live far more rich and fulfilling lives than the rest of us because they have zero money worries simply because they talk the same worthless shite that existing board members talk. They’re no cleverer or dynamic than the rest of us and yet they are laughing their asses off constantly at all us plebs (many of whom are way smarter and industrious).

I’ve met many, many senior members of massive companies through my work and how mediocre their minds are is stunning, and I’m no genius.

Revolution time.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m liking your post samuri ! …. well said.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Standing as an MP’ is closed to new replies.