Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stan Flow rims
  • jimr80
    Free Member

i'm currently running the above rims and am having problems with the rear tyre blowing off the rim while riding.
    So my question is it ok to run non tubless tyres on these rims?
    I'm currently running panaracer trailraker with a ghetto set up.
    not the best combo i know for the rims ,but moneys tight and was i going to wait until it dries a bit before splashing out on a full tubeless setup.
    I have been running with these tyres + ghetto all winter on xc717 rims without a problem.
    any ideas?

jimr80
    Free Member

anyone?

righty
    Free Member

panaracer is not recommended as a ghetto tubeless tyre as they are liekly to blow off the rims as you are experiencing(stated on a number of websites including stans afaik), guess you were just lucky they stayed on the 717's

thefirstpancake
    Free Member

As righty says, panaracers not recommended for tubeless because of weak / loose bead. You can just stick a tube in there though.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Why are you running ghetto on your Flows? Try it with just Stans yellow tape. I've run mine with (Panaracer) Razers with no problems.

Onzadog
    Free Member

With any tubeless set up, the tyre rim combo is more critical. I tried flow rims with yellow tape and Maxxis Advantage exception series tyres and suffered a few blow offs. I think it was my own fault for trying to get away with a ytre that was too light. Mate's had no trouble with the normal 2.25 advantage on the same rima nd my LUST ones that I run now are sweet. However, If you have a look at the JRA site, Flow rims with normal tyres really should use the flow specific rim strip. I know some people get away without, clearly you're not one of them.

Panaracer tyres used to be on the not recommended list on the stans site. However, feel free to double check but I think they don't appear on the recommended or not recommended lists now which suggests something has changed.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Running Flows with 2.25 Ardents @ ~22psi and only yellow tape, no probs.

jimr80
    Free Member

KevinPP
    i,m running ghetto because i didn't find time to order the rim strip and valves but will try to get it done and try again.

grumm
    Free Member

I've got Stan's Flow with non tubeless Bontrager tyres – works fine with just the yellow tape and no rim strip.

votchy
    Free Member

Running Kenda BG and Nev combo on Flows but needed the specific rim strip, couldn't get a seal with just the yellow strip, been running fine now for about 8 months. Ghetto'd a pair of Razors on my other wheels (WTB Speed discs) for MM last year (wishful thinking), never been ridden but they are still holding air and that was 8 months ago 😯

geetee1972
    Free Member

I've been running Flow rims for three years now. Onzadog's comments reflect my own experience; Maxxis tyres work brilliantly with Flow rims tubeless but I have to use the rim strips to get a good seal. If you're heavy or ride aggresively, especially in corners, then the rim strips are the key to getting them to work. But once they're set up, they are brilliant.

adstick
    Free Member

Similarly, I've had a couple of tyres come off in bermed corners when using non-tubeless without the strip. I always use the strip now and no problems.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I run Flows with a combination of UST, tubeless ready and non-tubeless tyres for about 3 years now, using just yellow tape.

IME, all UST and tubeless tyre work well and I've never suffered any blow outs using them

I tend to run just the yellow strip with non-tubeless tyres and the setups here are much more variable.

The only kevlar folding maxxis tyre I've successfully inflated reliably is a 60a ADvantage. All other MAxxis tyres I've used have to be steel bead to get a decent bead interlock. I've successfully used Michelin All Mountains, regular Bonty tyres and Nokians in this manner.

Unfortunately its a trial and error process with tyres that aren't designed to be run tubeless, but IME, its important that the bead is relatively tight, smooth and rubbery.

Sticking to that criteria does reduce my choice of tyres, but there are plenty on the market these days.

Rim strips are a faff and add weight. I won't use a tyre if I can't get a good bead seal and interlock during initial inflation. If I really want to use a specific tyre, I'll get it with a steel bead rather than use a rim strip. The added weight is about the same, but there's less faff, and the tyre is cheaper too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stan Flow rims’ is closed to new replies.