Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stalag Chicksands?
  • Bullet

Used to ride there a lot some years ago mainly CX and fun stuff, only occasional visits now – how long has the fence been up round the freeride/DS area? Will admit to being too old/scared to ride the freeride/shore stuff but Chicky used to feel really welcoming back in the day and I enjoyed a quick blast through what was the old red route in there – seems to have become less and less friendly feeling over the last couple of years?
    I assume the fence and sub-let is for revenue and insurance purposes?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’d imagine the latter.

jimc101
    Free Member

6 months since I was there, but the XC routes still hadn’t recovered from the deforestation from about 5 years back, never been impressed by the Fat Traxs lot, have been riding on an off there since ’94 and they seem to want to be the voice of the area; as long as you are North Shore / Dual only

jedi

there’s no north shore stuff there now

ampthill

I think the fence is just to show hwere the fun/4x/ dual slalom is for liability reasons. I think even at my speed you need to know that know one is coming up the 4X course walking their dog

I’ve leant load on the 4x and dual slalom course and my son loves it. I’m hopless at that stuff and even when its been busy I felt people were very polite and accomodating.

allthepies
    Free Member

Doesn’t the XC loop take about 10 minutes to ride ? 😀

cookeaa

Former Beds-Fat-Trax member here.

Not a massive contributor really, and primarily interested in the jumpy, droppy stuff at the time but I helped a bit now and then with building of wood work, digging of trails and the 4x course, but since moving I’ve not been back there for about 3-4 years now.

As I remember it the wood work/freeride area was always a minor bone of contention, both within the club (i.e. who had “ownership” of it and who didn’t) and from an insurance point of view, I remember a fair bit of stuff had to be hauled down at one point because it’s “Height to width ratio” was a bit on the low side as far as the insurers were concerned… Various people had competing visions of what the place could and/or should be…

The Fencing around the FR area doesn’t surprise me though, there were always dog walkers and meandering chav families wandering about in the path of FR juggernauts oblivious to the signs and garishly dressed riders on noisy clanking bikes baring down on them at high speed…

The venue/club/locals always had a bit more of a preference for the DJs, “Ploppy/droppy off” stuff and 4x/dual courses, CX and XC really was never really the focus for them, if you have the time and inclination it could be worth volunteering to sort the XC course though, especially if you can source some external funding, they were always a welcoming and friendly bunch when I rode there (Unless you questioned the cost of a day ticket with Darren)…

_tom_
    Free Member

I thought it was always about the jumps and freeride area anyway? There isn’t really enough land or gradient for a worthwhile xc loop.. As Tony says pretty much all the north shore stuff is gone now, there are a few little bits still up. The ladder drops have been ripped out and just left there. The dual course has been changed quite a bit and it’s now very fast and smooth – great for practicing your berm and jumping techniques on but it’s not as much of a challenge any more 🙂

Bullet

I was involved with the original Beds Fat Trax club (on committee etc) when the XC side of things was the main function of the club. Gradually the freeride/DS stuff took over and the bias shifted away from XC completely. I appreciate that it wasn’t my kind of riding and what commitment and skill it takes to do the big jumpy stuff but it just doesn’t feel the same place anymore.

Insurance and clashes with locals and walkers was always an issue and now days has to be dealt with by separating them completely hence the fence I guess. Mind you, come the summer holidays how long will the fencing stay up?

ampthill

That fence has survived a couple of summer holidays already hasn’t it?

Radioman

Used to ride there a fair bit myself. Went back recently to have a look. There is not much there now for ordinary trail riders now. Just 3 fun runs IMO. The mini Downhill(fun but very short). 4X Track(good), Dual track(Good). However the shore stuff is all destroyed and the FR are runs such as bull run etc are way above most riders(and my!) skill/risk levels if you want to do them properly. They don’t seem to cater for the intermediate/fun trail rider anymore who also likes a bit of shore and drops. 🙁

jedi

radioman, hows the riding going?

Radioman

Hi Jedi great Thanks… Hope all good with u. did a wet Epping solo ride today on my hardtail. Found some great bits including some old drops i haven’t been off for years… i really loved going off them. .. its great realising i have actually got better over the years it felt great. Also that cornering technique you taught me is really giving extra confidence too. even on my road bike!!. I used to get too stressed and over nervous doing freeridey type things, even though capable i would be so afraid i really didnt enjoy it any more. It has changed now. I dont force things through. Yes my goals and saftety Iimits are now clearer and i dont attempt things unless i am happy that i really am confident about doing them, not just able but HAPPY doing them the day you spent coaching me helped me to see this. I would love to come over herts one day for a brush up> basically i’m loving biking more than ever …just a shame i don’t get enough time!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I nearly got shot at Chicksands, some very excitable rebellious colonials came rushing out of the guard house pointing M16’s at me. After it all calmed down and I’d changed my trousers it turned out I’d walked into the compound supplying the “secret” 1MW load through the wrong gate.

How we laughed over coffee afterwards!

prezet
    Free Member

Was there yesterday – the fence is there to keep walkers out for their own safety, and to also keep the digging/building to a contained area.

North shore has been dismantled – apparently wasn’t used much, and was going to be too expensive for the insurance. It will be replaced with a new pump track, and some more (bigger) downhill runs for the guys with the big rigs.

Was fairly empty, especially for a Saturday – dual slalom was running very fast, and is still a riot no matter how many times I ride it. The 4X track has been modified – and to be honest, I didn’t get on with it, but just needs practise.

There’s still enough there to spend a day just hacking around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stalag Chicksands?’ is closed to new replies.