Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • stag do – how much is reasonable?
  • farmer-giles
    Free Member

i am trying to sort out an afternoon of clay shooting, archery and air rifling for 10 mates at the cost of £65 per head.
    (curry and beers afterwards optional and at own cost).

Would you pay this amount for an afternoon out?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yeah and I’m skint/tight.

Surfr
    Free Member

That sounds ok to me. Maybe a touch on the expensive side but it depends what they have in store for you.

50 clays, borrow of gun, trapper costs 20 quid at my local shooting range.

You can easily shoot 150 if you have the time and inclination though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robbo1234biking

Sounds good – ours is £150 but that includes hotels and go karting so £65 sounds reasonable with the other bits being optional

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To me its expensive. I went on a similar stag do – I only went out of respect for my mate whos do it was rather than because I wanted to do the activities. With the curry and beers afterwards it can escalate into an expensive day

Edit – I don’t mean its expensive for the activities – I mean its a chunk of money to pay out for something you might not really ant to do.

always seems a strange thing to me these activity stag dos

aP
    Free Member

Sounds alright, I went to one about 10 years ago that was just a meal + comedy club, ended up costing me about £150. I was so annoyed that I didn’t go to the wedding and haven’t spoken to him since, his trust funded lifestyle wasn’t affected though as we all paid for him to have the most expensive meal + drinks possible.

nbt

Five years ago I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid, but at the moment I wouldn’t sign up for something like that. Just can’t afford that kind of thing at the moment, and a true mate will realise that’s the reason you;re not coming.

radler
    Free Member

yeah. that sounds like fun.

i got dragged along (not literally but went as it was my future-brother-in-law-to-be getting married) to a stag party.

spunked ~€150 on food and drinks. ended up first at some **** hard-rock cafe where the drinks were extortinate and the food average. then onto a cocktail bar (should men drink cocktails?). then a strip club with some of the rankest looking birds you have ever seen (thoroughly disappointed – not one bit of fanny on show and to make it worse it was a mixed strip bar so we had to endure some buffed greek guys sliming over the (un)fortunate ladies). from there we went to some dingy club where the groom fell over and got slightly trampled before we could get him out of the place and stuck into a taxi.

i stupidly stayed till the end with the view of getting the first train. managed to fall down some steps; dropping my burger and cracking my head at the bottom.
    made it onto train and woke up several hours later in exactly the same place i’d got on at. i’d been to-ing and fro-ing, up and down the line across town. got out, made it onto another train and proceeded to fall asleep again and missed my stop by two stops. got stopped by the ticket people and tried to explain my situation. i don’t think they took too kindly to a half-drunk mumbling excuses at what was now 10:30 – four hours after starting my journey that would usually take 20 minutes – and they stung me for a €40 fine.

so, not an unreasonable cost and a nice mix of activities….

no-way am i going to have a repeat of the above experience for my stag do. a weekend away camping, riding or snow boarding can be had for less money/grief from GF/hassle/humiliation/pain (delete as appropriate) than that weekend 24 hours cost me.

snakebite
    Free Member

I organised one in Dublin last year, paintball afternoon, indoor karting in the morning, dog racing next night, two nights accom at a hotel plus flights worked out at £200 each. Options to purchase more paintballs etc…extra, as was beer and food for the weekend. Everyone knew the cost up front and that was that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sounds fair enough, clay shooting isn’t cheep (cartriges+gun hire+clays+supervision). My boss at my last job used to go regularly, they’d load up their pre-pay thing with 200 clays and set them to fire at random but faily quick pace (you could just about re-load before the next clay went back into the woods). They’d miss about 3! Then go back for more!

TJ, Sounds a lot more fun then going to a strip club in Prague though doesnt it?

toby1

Jeez, if you fancy going away with a group of mates to make an occasion of it then why not. If you don’t like the person that much then screw it, don’t go.

I say this after having been to Austria for a weekend of snow earlier in the year and having a significantly lighter pocket for it, was a great experience though so no complaints.

AlasdairMc

£65 seems reasonable, but you perhaps need to find a way of stretching it out over a whole day so it seems like good value for money (perhaps a lunch stop halfway through or something?)

Mine was £60 for two nights room only, £60 for clays and quad biking, riding was free, plus whatever else for booze and food. We ran a kitty for booze which was a great idea too, I reckon the whole thing came in at under £200 each easily, and I wouldn’t change anything about it.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Just sorted out a stag do…Archery, shooting & quad biking: cost £75 per person.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i don’t mind if people say no because of the cost/activities.
    i said no to a weekend that included golf and an afternoon at aintree because i don’t do either and would spoil it for the regular players/punters.
    its just the reaction from a couple of mates have said yes straight away and one said he needed to get back to me on it.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

TJ – most of the blokes invited have swung a 12 bore before, its only a new activity for a couple, so it more like a social rather than new event day.
    if i do a mtb ride only 4 mates ride (and not very far).
    can’t think of much else to do ….any suggestions?

29erKeith
    Free Member

If they wanna go they’ll go, if they don’t then they might just join you for a curry after

Last year I went to Sao Paulo for 5 Days for a mates stag do.
    Cost a fortune! myself and my mates wanted to go and have a proper lads holiday, not everybody could go but 10 of us did

I’m plannning a stag do in the Alps next year myself.
    I’ll have a local pish up too for anybody that can’t make it for any reason.
    my mate that got married last year and I certainly wouldn’t hold it against anybody if they didn’t go for any reason

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Farmer – I find the whole thing slightly odd. But then I ain’t married and am never getting married.

It seems to be another one of these things that grows and grows – used to be a few drinks with your mates – now its weekends away in exotic places 🙂

dooge
    Free Member

Whats wrong with getting leathered and tieing the groom to a lamppost on a dual carriageway with just his boxers and shoes on?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seems pretty reasonable to me!

Been to 3 stag dos:
    1) Camping, beers, lake swimming and havoc causing. Cost about £100 for me because I drove there in my horrendously thirsty car and covered the fuel costs for others who couldn’t afford it at the time.
    2) City hotel weekend stay, shared costs, strip club, too much alchohol ~ £300ish all said and done.
    3) My brothers, a day of rally training and “stunt” driving followed by a slap up meal and beers at home. Total cost ~200ish.

3 and 1 were the most fun for me, but all were enjoyable and worth doing!

I did turn down a trip to prague for drinking as, quite frankly, the plan was to spend every day leathered in a pub and I can do that here without the £200 flight costs and higher priced alchohol. Mate didn’t mind, or at least I still got an invite to the wedding!

ml
    Free Member

Farmer Giles — friend just arranged a raft building competition plus race in the Lake District, which I’m thinking about doing for my own stag in a few months.

I’d say there were very few stags where I’d had change out of £500 over the last ten years, but I think these days they’re slightly more budget-conscious.

ransos
    Free Member

Sounds alright to me. We went coasteering for my stag do – it’s not everyone’s cup of tea so a couple of the lads bowed out, but met us afterwards for curry & beers. Plus a chance to laugh at me in my comedy clothing.

A mate’s stag do the other year had clay pigeon shooting and karting – cost about £50 IIRC and everyone seeemd to enjoy it.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Yeah the only one I dont really get is fly some where to spend the whole day in pub can do that here !

I just had my stag do people could do what they wanted.

1st day MTB at cannock £22 each. £23 accomodation.
    2nd day Off Road Go karting £38 curry Club £10 – £23 accomdation

I agree it all adds up and it is expensive but people could do a much/little as they liked.

And when am I going to get to do off-road go karting again ????

chakaping
    Free Member

Whats wrong with getting leathered and tieing the groom to a lamppost on a dual carriageway with just his boxers and shoes on?

Nothing, it’s just more fun when the police officers speak a foreign language.

singletrackmind

I have to go on one n a few weeks. It will be about £300 . Tank driving (done it ) clay shooting ( I am utterly useless) and a night out in Nottingham ( stab capital of England).
    Then theres the wedding in Eire, accept its not as simple as that. MAtes getting married in Norn ireland, then the reception is 50 odd miles away in Eire. No coach , so I gotta have wheels.
    Most of the guests are arriving Tuesday and getting right on one for the entire week .
    Reception hotel is out of town and its Eu125 a night.
    I reckon about £500 to go to the stag and wedding .
    TBH I’d rather bin it off, donate some cash to Help for Heroes and buy a ticket to the BBB which clashes with the wedding.
    I have a secondary plan which involves a 8.15 flight, 1 days car hire, wedding at 12.00, reception at 13.00, depart 1800 for a 20.30 flight home. Bad form apparently, but I will be £200 better off.

I guess the key to stag weekends is to structure it so people can choose which events they come to . Like Clays in the morning , go karting in the afternoon , then beers followed by currey after. I reckon keep it cheap, most people will thank you for it. There will always be 1 or 2 who ‘want’ or ‘need ‘ to spunk vast amounts of money (insert small penis joke / anecdote here.- ), and encourage all others to do the same. I see it when skiing, a blokey bloke with slightly too loud a voice will get everyone a Jagermaister as a chaser, when its like disgusting cough syrup that no-one really likes, and expect either a round of Samooka next up, or everyone to pay into a kity for a load of carvonia.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘stag do – how much is reasonable?’ is closed to new replies.