• This topic has 31 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Tino.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • SSUK – how many laps?
  • gee
    Free Member

Hi

Just wondering how many of the lovely 14km laps we’ll be doing? The more the merrier as it’s a bloody long way up from London!

It’s odd – I’m looking forward to this event more than any other this year. Top stuff.

GB

sheldona
    Free Member

We’ll be lucky to get one in if the beer is flowing 🙂

MrSparkle

I will probably be shot down in flames for this but would it not have made more sense to have had the race on the Saturday if there is drinking involved? We could have then carried on into the night, woke up hung over, had a bit of a ‘recovery ride’ on Sunday morning and driven home in the afternoon.

sheldona
    Free Member

I will probably be shot down in flames for this but would it not have made more sense to have had the race on the Saturday if there is drinking involved? We could have then carried on into the night, woke up hung over, had a bit of a ‘recovery ride’ on Sunday morning and driven home in the afternoon.

Indeed, thats why the Knights of Niche are camping off site so we can do just that 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

We could have then carried on into the night, woke up hung over, had a bit of a ‘recovery ride’ on Sunday morning and driven home in the afternoon.

That’s the plan anyway, isn’t it? 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

10 laps + to give me a slight chance of beating GB 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, there’s a race?!

miketually
    Free Member

In 2006 at Hamsterley I did two of the three laps.
    In 2007 at Bristol I did about 1/3 of a lap before I broke my bike and learned why you should loctite chainring bolts.

Extrapolating, I should be doing about 2.5 km of the first lap on Sunday 🙂

allankelly

Mr Sparkle: I made this exact point a few weeks back, but the Minds Are Made Up. Silly to have the event on the Sunday if you ask me, but as it is we’re making a long-weekend of it and heading to the 7 stanes on the Sunday.

Cheers, al.

funkynick

mike.. loctite on chainring bolts? You gotta be kiddinf surely as they are a bugger to get off anyway, with loctite I’d have no knuckles left!

miketually
    Free Member

mike.. loctite on chainring bolts? You gotta be kiddinf surely as they are a bugger to get off anyway, with loctite I’d have no knuckles left!

Just a dot on each bolt. I took them back out of my old chainring recently and they weren’t too bad – a fairly long allen key helps, as does a proper chainring nut tool and wrapping a tea towel round your knuckles.

Wrecking a virtually brand new Surly chainring, travelling all the way to Bristol to ride 1/3 of a lap and having to freewheel all the way back to the station afterwards sucks much more than taking a bit of time to remove some bolts 🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

It’s been said before but…

The reason the race is on the Sunday is because we can only have one night’s camping on site (too expensive to have the site for a second night) and we can’t really expect people to travel from all over the country in the morning to race in the afternoon.

Also, in my experience, the best parties are always the night before the race.

Also, I like to see people racing with a hangover.

🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

Oh and it’s 5 laps… or was it 4 hours plus a lap.. can’t remember.

😉

singlespeedstu

or was it 4 hours plus a lap

I’d better put some more beer in my pack then.

funkynick

4 hours? I’d need a trailer with a keg on it for that!!

Anyone got a trailer I can borrow?

father
    Free Member

Managed to ride two slowlaps laps at Hamsterley, after spending most of the previous week walking round the course trimming trees.

Last year got as far as the beer stop on lap one and bailed out.

No problems driving home after the race. Number one son doesn’t drink

sheldona
    Free Member

4 hours sat in the woods with a bike and some beer? Bring it on!!

miketually
    Free Member

Fours hours? I’ve 70 miles to ride home on the Yuba Mundo beast of burden, so I’m fairly certain I won’t be finishing the race 🙂

stumpynya12
    Free Member

The beer stop is at the 6km point on lap one so could all riders/racers pace themselves to manage 6km as it would be a shame not to get that far. We have beer,beer or beer and a range of sun loungers,deck chairs etc etc. i.e 6km, race done, party starts again.

sofaking
    Free Member

so its a race to the sun loungers then,
    can we sneak out for a night lap and get our towels in place to beat the germans ?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

5laps of 14km, so its an enduro now…… ;0)

gee
    Free Member

4 hours! Cool. Sounds excellent.

GB

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

depends on how much ale is forced on you…… ;0)

race will be good, but im looking forward to the rollapaluza, after smashing the “penny farthing world champs of scotland” last year, i wanna win the “other” event again………

bungie
    Free Member

Trust me, having ridden one lap of what we think is the course last night, you wont want to ride more than two. Vertigo sufferers, stay at home! But a great course to look forward to!

epicyclo

After all the work the organisers have done, I reckon it would be rude not to ride/walk all the way round at least once 🙂

Besides what if there are beer stashes?

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Stop press news, Beer stop to supply carry outs. Race first 6km to beer stop, drink beer,race a further 14km lap back to beer stop, obtain carry out beer and off you go. 8)

bungie
    Free Member

Stumpy, Have you got a strategy for getting rid of Lee if he makes the 6km point?

sheldona
    Free Member

The ride from our campsite a mile or so away will be hard enough without being made to ride a lap once we get there! FFS what do you think this is a race or something?

miketually
    Free Member

The ride from our campsite a mile or so away will be hard enough

Martin didn’t tell me it was that far from the main site!

😉

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Bungie….Lee might make the 6km mark just, but after 16pints, a BBQ and dancing all of the previous night with Charlie the B M ,he will go no further. Trust me I know these things. Besides the party at the beer stop is “The main event” and he will throw the bike away and get the tabs out !!!! beer, fags and sunshine bring it on.

Please note racing is not allowed, its a group ride out 😉

sam60
    Free Member

i think Lees tabs should get nicked and see how angry and dangerous he actually gets when hungover, no fags, the prospect of riding up a hill, on an SS with no “megadrive” for nothing more than, lets be honest here, our own amusement!

Tino
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever ridden more than 2 laps of any SSUK/WC. Think I did 3 at Hamsterley, but there was a quite a bit of hillwalking involved….

6Km to the beer and sun loungers? Aye, that’ll do nicely 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘SSUK – how many laps?’ is closed to new replies.