Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • SSUK 2011
  • qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Essex, in shell suits, pissing and shittin all over the Olympics MTB venue ❓

MrSparkle

I reckon that Gisburn might make a good venue if it’s not Man-ches-toh. I don’t think SSUK and HtN should mix. You’d need to focus entirely on one or t’other.

epicyclo

mtbmatt – Member
    …Anyone with a serious proposal needs to email either myself or the SSUK address.

OK, you’ll hear from us in a couple of days. It’s Scotland’s turn again.

We have a course* (1 problem gone), experienced organisers and marshals (another problem gone), a probable date – end of June, and we’ll even try to learn to speak English. 🙂

*Basically the StrathPuffer course with a few interesting alterations for discerning singlespeeders.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I don’t think SSUK and HtN should mix. You’d need to focus entirely on one or t’other.

Not really, Shaggy mixed SSUK and Bristolbike fest well….

I reckon that Gisburn might make a good venue if it’s not Man-ches-toh

good suggestion!

sheldona
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of people coming up with venues?? What about slapping in a proposal and getting it done 😉 tis easy really just organise a venue get a bit of insurance and put a party on, people will arrive and do the rest for you!

tommid
    Free Member

I would have loved to have brought SSUK to Thetford, but my first child and a busy year with work has put pay to it. In the next few years I will get my arse in gear and do it. lets not miuss a year though. It’s the highlight of my calendar.

qwerty
    Free Member

+1 for Thetford, it would be a real blast SS and a nice venue for camping it up

clubber
    Free Member

As Mr_A said, LVIS is trying to put it together but we’re really struggling to find a SW venue (since that’s where most of us are) and we don’t really just want to rehash Shaggy’s excellent SSUK at the Bristol Bikefest. We’re all keen and organised so if anyone knows a location please let us know!

Sam

Not possible to use the Ashton court course on another date clubber? Would be the ideal venue. As good as Shaggy’s SSUK07 was, I think I prefer it as a stand-alone event. There were murmurings from the Brighton lot as well… I’m vaguely thinking Aston Hill could be good, but not sure I want to take on doing it again…

sheldona
    Free Member

Clubber, sent you an email!

Sam

Should also have said – Scotland would be good too.

sheldona
    Free Member

Scotland is always good Sam! Any excuse to head up there 🙂

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Soz Gil ….. I am uable to do sums and adding up stuff, but it seems to have got things rolling as I would like another SSUK piss up 😳
    P.S I don’t ski I board….. so I don’t do skiing holidays

Harry_the_Spider

Let’s raise the ugly question of finance.

Does SSUK have a cash sponsor or is it funded by the entry fees?

sheldona
    Free Member

Funded by entry fees.
    The sums do add up but you do have to be careful!

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah. I know how much these things cost!

sheldona
    Free Member

SSEC2010 was in the region of £14000 😮

mtbmatt
    Free Member

SSUK 2010 on the other hand was about half the price.

All depends on land owners really.
    Showers were our most expensive cost, but we booked them late and were very limited by suppliers.

Harry_the_Spider

HtN 2008 cost about £12k. We did 2010 at the same venue for less than £5k.

They had built a shower/toilet block with the money we gave them in ’08 and it saved us about £3.5k!

I’m out of this game now but you could do worse than have a chat to Jason/Terrahawk.

Sam

Jeezus **** christ Sheldon, what the hell did you do with all that? SSUK08 total budget was closer to Matt’s, we lost a little money in the end, though it was definitely more than worth it.

Showers are over-rated, I didn’t shower at ssuk10….

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah but that’s normal for Aussies 😉

(sorry you set yourself up for that)

thekingofsweden

Clubber

Westridge used to be a great xc course
    There also used to be a good one in west harptree can’t remember where exactly

Sam

Yeah but that’s normal for Aussies

That’s coz we smell so sweet and whatever pungency might remain we drown out with whiskey and beer

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Showers are over-rated, I didn’t shower at ssuk10….

But I bet you would have if the weather was really crap, and thats is always a possibility in Wales.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Jeezus **** christ Sheldon, what the hell did you do with all that?

Had some jewels mounted in his head badge, a new car, two weeks in the sun and a wok extension. Perks eh 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

TheSwede – Member

Jeezus **** christ Sheldon, what the hell did you do with all that?

Had some jewels mounted in his head badge, a new car, two weeks in the sun and a wok extension. Perks eh

I don’t care if he did, it was a cracking weekend.

Harry_the_Spider

Does SSUK have core organising committee that is just looking for a host venue, or would the host be expected to sort out marketing, sponsors, website, event registration and regulation with British Cycling (if applicabale), insurance, entry, timing and anything else that wasn’t specific to the course and campsite?

Basically, are you looking for a venue or the complete event package?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Mostly Balanced, it certainly was even though I was technically working, if you can call sleeping in a camp chair working.

clubber
    Free Member

Harry – SSUK doesn’t exist as any kind of organisation so each year a new group gets to put the event on and then choose the nexy year’s event. Eg if you’re organising it, you do the whole lot – venue, sponsorship, entries, beard growing, etc.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

SSUK at Dalby ended up about £14,000 as everything had to be brought into a green feild site. Pam (Mrs where the @uck is Gil) was brillant with the finances but it looked like very stressing hard work. It does all come together but you NEED the correct group of DOERS and not gona doers…

sheldona
    Free Member

All my lot kept go getting for me was pies 😉

Yup as above everything has to be done by who ever takes it on, however its just like organising a big party! There’s plenty of people to ask to get ideas/info/advice from should you need it.
    Really glad we gave it a shot and really enjoyed it but wouldn’t want to do it again as our weekend was top and wouldn’t want people to expect the same again as it took sooooo much out of us all.

PS The holiday and car was a treat though ;-0

postierich
    Free Member

Its a shame that everything is so organised these days and having to attend to everyones whim ie showers,insurance,cheese 😉 and making sure you have a good time needs to get back to the ghetto and sort stuff out on the spot!
    Lets just hijack Mayhem(free camping and showers toilets)ride Friday night hurl obuse,eggs cheese beer @ the “normal riders” for the rest of the weekend.Only cost being a marquee/tunes for our beer tent 😆

Ride for free not as a number!

Morvelo

Where ever it does end up, we’re still keen to help out with logo, t-shirts, merchandise etc after doing it last year and also for Shaggy’s one in Brizzol.

Was keen to organise a Brighton one but Brighton Big Dog, plus another two other events in the planning means we’re up to our eye balls, although happy to support. Plus we would love to actually make and ride the SSUK for the first time since 2006 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

We’ll be in touch should we win the rights!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

One proposal has come in, going to wait another few weeks incase anyone else is interested is running it and needs some time to think it over.

RDL-82
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Member
    One proposal has come in, going to wait another few weeks incase anyone else is interested is running it and needs some time to think it over.

Any more news on this yet?

Pierre

It’s feppin’ miles from me (mind you, everything is, I live in That London) but if it was in Scotland I’d come up for the week beforehand and make my long-overdue 7 Stanes pilgrimage… FWIW

: P

epicyclo

A proposal has just been sent to the address on the SSUK site to hold it on the Strathpuffer course at Contin.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Contin would be ace. The Puffer course is good fun in the summer.

Del

quantocks would make a good venue. lots of trails and there’s a scout campsite there too…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘SSUK 2011’ is closed to new replies.