Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • SSUK 2011
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

No one has come forward with a proposal to host SSUK yet.
    If anyone is potentially interested but unsure what is involved then I’d be willing to help and give advice & tips from what we learnt from hosting this years event.

The SS community are great as we all know and will support the event regardless of where it is held. Financially it is a pretty solid event. We kept the entry cheap compared to other races and made a “profit” which is all going to charity when all bills have been paid.

No denying that it takes a lot of hard work, but it is absolutely worth it. Come on people!!

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Sheldons crew (K.O.N)did the Euros and I bet he would love to do the UK. His mum could help him again ? Bless that woman she is an angel.
    Or Gils crew only with a different venue perhaps ?
    Or One F gear crew ?
    You have to push people to come forward IMO .

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m pushing for you to do it 😉

stumpynya12
    Free Member

heh b n d are you grooming me for some reason ? 8)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

no, just need someone to organise SSUK11

I see from your other post you have the experience to carry it off as well

I’m sure yo could use one of the venues that the Nutcracker team have been developing

stumpynya12
    Free Member

It only worked last time because we had a brilliant TEAM of “doers” who all got stuck in as I’m sure matt will know. That team of people have now gone on to other things and whilst I am tempted,I honestly dont think the other team members would be keen. Done their bit for SS and all that sort of stuff….. there must be other willing parties and venues ?

psling
    Free Member

Sheldons crew (K.O.N)did the Euros and I bet he would love to do the UK

What with the Euros in Belgique and now the Worlds in Eire, we’ll be far too busy training… 😯 😆

sheldona
    Free Member

Sorry guys, no can do! We’ve done our bit for the ss community. I’ll agree with Matt, it’s very hard work but very rewarding. I can also give advise etc if any wants some ref organising it.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Just post a more direct question on here. “RIGHT WHO IS GOING TO RUN SSUK2011” with the addition that all the previous crew members will assist in everyway possible as looks to be the case with current comments posted on here.
    Tollah can you help the Dalby pixies with advice ? how do we get to grow bigger than 5ft 4″ as this is the current maximum height we have grown to 🙁

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It only worked last time because we had a brilliant TEAM of “doers” who all got stuck in as I’m sure matt will know.

Well that is very true for the day itself. We had over 20 people come forward to help marshall.
    But in terms of everything before hand there were 4 of us in total.

Getting a venue is the hardest part. Everything after that is pretty straight forward… depending what the landowners are like.
    Industry contacts are handy to get good prizes though 🙂

stumpynya12
    Free Member

When I said team I should have said 5 of us (was 6 but 1 cracked under pressure). The helpers on the day are the easy part and all nice people.
    As matt said its not that difficult and you get a warm felling when you pull it all off 😯 One tip “dont have it on F.E land” they are a pain in the arse with HSE paperwork to the extreme…….

sheldona
    Free Member

Agreed, the FC changed their minds about permissions with just weeks to go!

One suggestion that we’ve been discussing this afternoon (Some of the KON members are here in Machynlleth riding in the KONSSWC) is just get everyone to enter a ss class in another event, then when all finished we’ll have our own party 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m thinking that if it were to be in the Cooley Mountains the local Dundalk MTB Club could be a great source of help. I don’t know the Irish ways well enough to get involved in organising but I do happen to know a couple of reps (Trek and Kellys). I will, however do my best to help with marshaling (unless I become so fit I’ll want to race which is as likely as England winning the Ashes this time AND the Scottish lad winning the Wimbledon next year).
    When are you thinking of running it?

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Funny that we have just finished the under 5ft 4″ SSUK champs here in Dalby. We started at 11.00 this morning but we failed to allow for the long undergrowth and all the riders got lost until the last bloke came in shouting “wer the @uck are-we”. A new niche tribe of SS riders perhaps. The party bit sounds like a normal SS piss up tollah but as for the just enter another event part 8)

Rickos
    Free Member

One suggestion that we’ve been discussing this afternoon (Some of the KON members are here in Machynlleth riding in the KONSSWC) is just get everyone to enter a ss class in another event, then when all finished we’ll have our own party

Kinda what Shaggy did a few years ago. Blagged the course and weekend organising toilets and stuff off the Kona Bikefest (I probably make it sound far simpler than it was!). Was a good do. I won a Solitude Cycles t-shirt for best crash on the last corner in front of people all at the finish line. 8)

mtbmatt
    Free Member

FC were great to us, but everyone else seems to say that are a pain to deal with. We must have been lucky!
    Allowed us to use FC footpaths (not legal footpath ROWs) and generally couldn’t do enough for us.

I think they saw the upside with 300+ people coming, most of them riding at Cwm Rhaeadr for the first time, so they are hoping that some will come back.

Would having it on a Scottish Island be prohibitive to people? Could be an amazing place to host it if people are prepared to travel.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Maybe the next big HTN should be the next SSUK.
    Maybe. Hmmm.
    North Manchester anyone?

MrAgreeable

LVIS have been looking into a great potential venue but unfortunately based on our latest chats with the land managers it doesn’t look like a runner (apparently SSUK is considered a “time trial” – does anyone get a time?!) But we have been give what sounds like a good lead on an alternative location.

As for “industry contacts”, does Goon count? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

terrahawk I will help
    How many turn up to these events?

gil_

When I said team I should have said 5 of us (was 6 but 1 cracked under pressure). The helpers on the day are the easy part and all nice people.

Gil
    Pam
    Mark
    Ian
    John
    Nick
    Alan

…looks like 7 to me and that was 9 months of hard work without some of us sloping off on skiing holidays 😉

Chipps was saying something about Dave Anderson maybe….

terrahawk
    Free Member

There’s a whole army of folk who will make a SSUK/HTN work.
    I’d be willing to do it.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Jase……….. Im in.

epicyclo

Needs to be in Scotland again. In the mountains.

I’ll talk to a few people.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Now there’s an idea. Pufferish course would be great for a SS event.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Holy ****, I posted wrong info in the wrong thread. Apologies, everybody concerned.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

North Manchester get’s my vote for 2011.

Come on Mr Terrahawk step up, after riding with you this morning you don’t need the training that weekend to be any quicker at your other races.

Have a weekend off riding and organise SSUK 2011 on last years HTN course.

MrSparkle

I think Mr Sparkle & Son would be able to assist. ;0)

epicyclo

Looks like we can do it up here if there’s enough interest. Talked to Steve (‘Puffer guy) and he’s interested.

Can run it same weekend as ‘Puffer Lite. Details to be sorted out.

Who passes on the baton of the SSUK? Want to talk to them.

psling
    Free Member

Who passes on the baton of the SSUK? Want to talk to them.

mtbmatt ^^^^ who organised SSUK10

terrahawk
    Free Member

Have a weekend off riding and organise SSUK 2011 on last years HTN course.

if only it took a weekend to organise a race eh.

I might be good to have a weekend of racing, SSUK and a HTN CX/MTB crossover on the same weekend.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

mtbmatt ^^^^ who organised SSUK10

Myself and a few others.
    Anyone with a serious proposal needs to email either myself or the SSUK address.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

SSUK2011 needs to be in Madchester……….

igm

All crashing at yours then Trev?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

nah, the campsite in Prestwich is a lot bigger than my garden…… and i wouldnt stay at mine anyway!

postierich
    Free Member

Its Scotlands turn!!! fancy a road trip to Gods country,Manchesters phish and wet and filthy 😉
    Onefgear are to busy having kids 🙄 and you would not be able to hack Cannuchshire finest terrain!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Where ever it is make sure it doesn’t clash with SSWC in Ireland

miketually
    Free Member

I was just about to suggest a SSUK-HTN hybrid 🙂

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Another vote for Manchestooor!!

ninkynonk
    Free Member

manchester gets my nod as well

to save a bit of money you could always use some of the mud left over from last years HTN !

big_n_daft
    Free Member

SSUK2011 needs to be in Madchester……….

can’t agree, needs to be somewhere with a decent ride out, Prestwich isn’t on the list of mtb places to go

Jockland again sounds good 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘SSUK 2011’ is closed to new replies.