Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SSC how can they screw this one up?
  • PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I know, I'm probably an idiot, but after having had my fingers burnt buying BBs and Headsets from SSC I have had satisfaction from their disc pads and am tempted by their chain rings- no moving parts to break etc.

Anyone got some genuine horror stories that happened to them with SSC rings or is it worth a punt?

poppa
    Free Member

I know a guy that bought an SSC ring and later that year his wife left him.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

That should not have made me laugh as much as it did.

😀

Stoner
    Free Member

one minute it's chainrings, the next it's a fisting by a cephalopod.

You takes ya' chances.

tinsy
    Free Member

Be a massive run on SSC chainrings now!!!

mudshark
    Free Member

Be sure to check instructions as fitting with a rock may be warned against.

emac65
    Free Member

LOL @ Poppa 😆

jojoA1
    Free Member

Instructions? what instructions? You're just supposed to 'know' how to fit them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have used their singlespped chain tensioner and it has worked for both rides it has been on so far!
    By the law of averages some of their stuff must work

cookeaa

How much less than a Middleburn Hardcoat equivalent are they? or for that matter non hardcoat… Or for that matter Shimano, I've never had a "Bad" Shimano or Middleburn chainring…

Where as the SSC once bitten twice should rule should apply here i'd have thought, yes it has no moving components as you say, but they will be under load graunching against a steel chain in winter mud and grit, seems a little fool hardy to chance it if you're not totally convinced of the quality…

ransos
    Free Member

Spa Cycles sell Stronglight chainrings at pretty low prices. I use them on my commuter.

stumpy01

How cheap are they?

If significantly cheaper than better know brands then buy 'em and give them a go.
    You can then review them for us, so we know whether to also buy them or avoid with your ten foot barge pole. 😉

jackthedog
    Free Member

They might not have any moving components, but they are a moving component. A quite vital one at that.

If you have doubts, Shimano or Middleburn is the answer.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Stumpy- they are £38 for a set.

Much cheaper than the combined cost of a set of middleburn, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Merlin used to do a "no-name" set of CNC chainrings for £45 for the 3. I've got them on 2 bikes and they are excellent. Never skipped a beat and pretty hardwearing. They also look pretty good as well.

I can only find a set of 2 (inner, middle) on their website now for £33, though it might be worth contacting them to ask if they still do the big ring as well.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-chainrings/set-2-7075-cnc-chainrings.html

cookeaa

£12 more for middle burn (Non hardcoat)

To be honest it's not much more to by a whole Deore HT2 chainset…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SSC how can they screw this one up?’ is closed to new replies.