Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Sram X.O or XTR which is best?
  • chuck85
    Free Member

Got one bike built with Sram X.O and another with old M952 XTR and I'm thinking of upgrading, I like the X.O but my mate swears by XTR so what do you guys think?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think X.0 is significantly more expensive. On CRC c.£190 for rear mech and shifters versus £260 for X.0

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

X0 for me, jsut prefer the crispness of the shifting. Am sure there'll be others who equally prefer XTR!

snakebite
    Free Member

I prefer XO, but all my mates like XTR…..

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Prefer the feel of SRAm and the shifting reliability – XTR is just too light, and it's far more susceptible to cable contamination.

But XTR is loads cheaper and far more abuse friendly.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

*Gratuitous SS ribbing warning*

Just go singlespeed, simples! 😉

*End of gratuitous SS ribbing*

chuck85
    Free Member

Just checked chainreaction, they have dropped the shifters to £120, rear mechs short cage to £130 and cassette for £50 which is a bit better!
    What about cranks?

fbk
    Free Member

I love my XO gear but XTR has come on a lot in the last few years. I was really impressed with a friends XTR setup I tried last year.

Can't go wrong with either really. IME – XO functions slighter better, doesn't last quite so long but is easier to service/repair than XTR

Junkyard
    Free Member

like asking people what there favourite cheese is. Both perform superbly but I prefer X0 – if you gave me XTR I would still happily use it.

nickc

Where others found XO reliable and crisp, I thought it was clunky and stubborn. (was using grip shifters though) XTR is just smooth and intuitive. Cables last ages as well.

khani
    Free Member

got xo on my bike and xtr on the mr's bike, mine is more positive and reliable, hers is lighter to use and needs more tlc, i prefer xo but she likes xtr more, i think its just personal preferance tbh

cookeaa

if you broaden the question a little you’re basically asking
    “SRAM or Shimano, Which is betterer?”

IMO Shimano…. So buy XTR…

poppa
    Free Member

Roquefort

nasher
    Free Member

But XTR is loads cheaper and far more abuse friendly.

Problem with both XTR and XO is that if you get a branch in there then goodbye carbon cage..

My cage snappedin half on my XO and I have had 2 guests knacker an XTR because of a branch!!

IMO get the saint which is reinforced, looks fantastic and is much tougher than the other shadow mechs which completely get destroyed once a stick gets in the cage

Raouligan
    Free Member

XTR you can't run SRAM with thumbshifters, made in Japan as well so the quality is always going to be great, plus you can but lovely Yumeya parts to bling it even further.

In a riding seasons worth of use/abuse, I think I turned the rear mech barrel adjuster a quarter of a revoloution to keep it running faultlessly, interms of lack of maintenance to be done it's just super.

chuck85
    Free Member

Thanks for everybody's advice, it seems a case of personal preference on shifter feel and I must admit I like the Sram best. The other point which seems worth considering is rear mech strength. Since I live in Norfolk it's mostly pine cones and sand on the trails it's not a big worry but this bike will be the one that goes to the peaks, so maybe with the all rocks the rear XTR mech may be a bit strong?

The debate continues!!!!!!!!

Dougal
    Free Member

Prefer XTR myself, for various reasons. Avoid the shadow/carbon-caged numbers though, not worth the extra money when you bang it off a rock.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I am the same X0 on one bike and XTR on another. I used to think XTR was the bees knees, but now i like them both just the same, X0 seem to have a better shifting due to the highter spring tension.

But i like them both, but if i had to chouse i would probably go for the X0 no erm the XTR erm no the X0, probably the X0. sorry i dont know i like them both.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I find the clunky XO shifting gets on my nerves after a while, I prefer the smooth shifting of XTR.

giantjason
    Free Member

as said above i prefer the clunky secure shifting sound and feel of X0. Expensive but worth it.

chuck85
    Free Member

Still a bit up in the air! But is anyone using Sram chainsets? My X.O is paired with raceface, anyone using XTR cranks with X.O?

mclarenmtb
    Free Member

I'm running X0 Mech with XT cranks – previously I ran XTR Crank & XTR mech and I have to say that I would run the SRAM X0 and XT cranks combination all day long! It's Smoother, more responsive & most importantly it doesn't break quite as often as the old XTR/XTR set up!! (Including chain snaps for some bizarre reason??)

bol

I run x0 and would never look back, but when my xo mech needed fixing I slung on an x7 and could barely tell the difference. As long as you've got x9 or x0 shifters you can get away with a £30 mech and break five for the price of an x0. Not as pretty though.

alpin
    Free Member

shimano

coogan
    Free Member

Both a waste of money personally.

crazy-legs

Shimano cos I love the Dual Control levers.

Matta
    Free Member

For me Sram X0. Not as smooth as shimano but one click and it just changes.
    8)

lankygit
    Free Member

neither.
    suntour rocks.

angryratio
    Free Member

old but….
    theres only one way to find out. OLD

radoggair
    Free Member

prefer the XTR shifters myself, look better, i like the 2 way shifting and the lightness

coogan
    Free Member

From the pic I just saw, can't say I like the look of either in their new guise that no ones meant to see.

Sum
    Free Member

LOl! The old classic XTR vs X0. Well played you troll!

adam_h
    Free Member

I run X.0 on both my bikes. Tried XTR but I think the X.0 stuff is loads better.

Northwind

I think XTR's probably better from what little I've used them but X0 feels better to me. But X9 seems to be almost exactly as good, and XT is great as well. Doesn't seem an awful lot of point to X0 in my book.

Oh, and Shimano front mechs obviously.

gunners
    Free Member

buy a motorbike 😉

scaredypants

buy deore and just tape 20 quid notes to your bike – we'll still know you're rich

(any more trolling to be done, or might we move on ?)

pitduck
    Free Member

(just tape 20 quid notes to your bike – we'll still know you're rich) 😆

stoney
    Free Member

XO Gripshift here.

solarider
    Free Member

If you don't need to change now WAIT. Whichever you end up with, both XO and XTR are being radically relaunched next year. Both going to 10 speed (and that's a whole different topic altogether!!) and both look totally different. If you can make your current stuff last a bit, I would wait. Either this year's will be heavily discounted, or you can take advantage of the newer stuff.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Sram X.O or XTR which is best?’ is closed to new replies.